Thread: Foggy Hunt On Veterans Day!

Foggy Hunt On Veterans Day!

Veterans Day started out a very foggy day in South West Ohio. But the promise of a warm up and blue skies got us eager to get out we hit the road by 7:00 AM to go out to the fields I recently got permission on. It was nice that Doug could join us it had been awhile since he has been so busy with work and family obligations and the crew was fully manned today. The first field we went to was one we hunted briefly the other day and had given up an Indian and nice flat button. Today she was more generous. We had been there about 15 minutes when I got a nice 12-45 signal on the CTX and the first target turned out to be a Large Cent. It was a crusty 1826 Matron Head.

Doug had found a small flower button and then he called out that he had a Large Cent.

A bit later I made my next good find an Eagle Button with a fair amount of gilt remaining on it. It cleaned up rather nicely!

About 15 minutes after the Eagle Button I got a solid 12-31 on the CTX and unearthed this nice tag, I am not sure if it was a watch fob or some type of luggage or claim tag.

We moved on to another field that we had not hunted as of yet, we were able to locate the house site fairly quickly. And Doug almost immediately scored a Large Cent he said he barely put his shovel into the ground and he could see it.

I found some brass items and even a Stanley tape measure, obviously the farmer dropped this one. Then Doug called me and pointed over to Diane who was trying to get our attention and with just cause for she was giving the silver signal and the seated coin sign as well! Her find was an 1841 Seated Dime! I had the feeling at the beginning of the hunt someone would find a silver today and Diane fulfilled that thought!

The signals seemed to taper off after a bit, until I got a great signal I called over to Doug and Diane and said let’s do a live dig….well that is always a two edged sword and this time the sword bit me…lol! The signal turned out to be a big squashed bell similar to the old fashioned door bells! A good find but not the Large Cent I was thinking about! We then went to another site which should have been easy to find and it sort of was…we saw signs some small brick chips and some small pieces of glass and crockery but no signals! We kept searching and then Doug decided to check a high spot way over in the field and indeed it was a site that was not on the map. We found a few items nothing of import but our time ran out since Doug had to head home. We will give this site more of a checkout but next time we will park closer so we won’t have to hike as far. Here are a few other items we found. Including a lead piece with the letters NTEL on it, a china doll leg and a lead arm! So this hunt gave up an arm and a leg!

The large brass nut which sort of looks like a hat practically blew my ears off and the suspender buckle had been bent up but I was able to straighten it and the pocket watch back was a good signal.

Typical other finds were spoon parts, a small buckle and other “partifacts”.

https://youtu.be/OBeMSBua1Xw
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Great finds! You (and your buddies) seem to have been on a hot streak for a long time. Those fields sure are producing. Glad you had a successful veterans day hunt!
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Congrats on those finds-that seated is really nice!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

the eagle button is definitely post Civil war era or "indian wars " era as they would say and I like the old luggage tag , with a bit of research you should be able to tell if its a train of steam boat tag , heck it could even be a hotel or livery check tag. great finds and congrats to Diane for the seated.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Wow , you guys are really hauling in the goodies !!

Nice score. I should say thanks to Dan cuz his reply gave me a hint. I saw these pics on FB (and a different browers) but its not easy to reply on the browser that doesn't show me the pics. Seems like it is a promising site; noticed that you said it was a recent permission. I'm gonna get to some permissions thru this weekend and Monday, now that the darn rain stopped. Yes, we like the rain except when it goes for three days straight. One day is enough to get a rest and give the ground a soaking to find the good targets.

Excellent finds and love the old tag. That's probably my favorite of the finds you posted, plus of course the seated dime! Love hitting the old fields this time of year, plus I don't sweat with the cooler weather!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

You are having quite the year Tony! Those tags are very collectable!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Great tag and seated. I like the diversity.....china leg and a lead arm. Once I get a LC at a site I expect every signal in that range to be another LC but can't tell you how many times that didn't pan out.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Yet another killer hunt from you guys! That seated is sweet!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

I'm going to have to start praying for fog ! Nice hunt !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."