Thread: Back to the cabin site - 11/14

Back to the cabin site - 11/14

First of all, I love switching from my V3i to the plain MXT. So fast and simple, I love it for cellar hole hunts. I finally tossed my D2 coil on it for this weekend's hunts.

Dan and I got started early Saturday morning. He wanted to return to the cabin site we finished at last weekend since it was popping finds. I did too. There's a lot of mountain laurel to work around the site as well.
    He started at one end of the property, and I poked around for maybe 15 minutes until the stone pile called to me. 1'st target was big, and knew it was iron, and wasn't disappointed. It was an iron. No pics but a candidate for electrolysis, it got carried out.

Poked around the stone pile more and was getting the occasional 30's tone in the iron junk. Start digging nails and the numbers kept coming up. A bit more digging and there's a copper! It's mostly flaked off on it's own, what's left is stubborn, but I'll have a clean Classic Head LC when it's done. I can see 181 on the date so far.
    Name:  ClassicObv.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  44.2 KB

Name:  ClassicRev.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  54.1 KB

I'm very happy, pressure is off early. I get back to beating up around the stone pile in the mountain laurel and a couple minutes and 5ft from the LC dig comes a solid 70's tone. Whoa...
    A nail or two comes up, but below is another copper! Looks to be a crusty KG2. Tough to tell for sure. I haven't had time to play with the coins yet.
    Name:  KG2.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  50.7 KB

I get back to working the heck out of the cabin site, but that appears to have been it. I wander away after a while, get into the mountain laurel, go exploring a bit, but it got quiet. Think I found one more tombac. We called it quits after a while and headed to spot #2.

A bit of poking around and we find the cellar hole. Looks like it got pushed around a bit, and had some trash here and there. I stuck with the plan and worked the lip area of the site. Nothing spectacular. Buckle fragments, a couple buttons, and my 1'st cufflink (part of one). Little octagon shaped one with a faint sunburst pattern. We stuck with that a bit longer and moved onto site #3.

It's a place that's coughed up finds over the years, but is beat up now. I wandered in the fields for a bit, but it was quiet, so I zeroed in on the cellar hole. I dug a lot of tin and iron, but finally got rewarded just inside the lip of the hole next to a tree. Pull up a few nails, and up comes copper #3! Looks to be a KG1 perhaps. It's not in the best shape either.
    Name:  Copper3.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  93.6 KB

Worked around the site until the sun was touching the hills, and we called it quits. Real windy, but a great autumn day to be out hunting with Dan! I'll post up Sunday's adventure tomorrow.
    Name:  Group Photo.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  61.2 KB
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Really nice finds and good write up, congrats!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

your likin the mxt i see.good job
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Great going , I'm looking forward to seeing more of your finds .The MXT is an incredible detector .

I'm liking the MXT a whole lot Dave. Can see why you and Todd are locked into them. Only a month with it and it feels like an old friend.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Brian! Three copper day! The rock pile you are talking about is the one atop the cellar hole...right? Nicely done!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Congrats on a three copper day, don't see that very often. Your purchase of that MXT seems to have been a good move. Would it be the different frequencies that make it so much better at cellar holes vs the V3i?
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

3 coppers! Wow! Enjoyed your post.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Nice hunt! Congrats on the coppers

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

I'd say you killed it! Love those Coppers! Sweet buttons too!

Thanks everyone!

Yes Drew, I was working around the stone pile at the "hole".
    I'm not sure if the different freq makes the difference Al. The MXT runs at 14kHz, and the V3i uses 2.5, 7.5, and 22.5 if I remember. I think the recovery and simplicity make it a faster machine.

Nice old site you have there. Congrats on the coins and relics.

great day you had Brian , get them coppers all cleaned up yet ??
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Congrats on the coppers!

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    great day you had Brian , get them coppers all cleaned up yet ??
    The Classic is in great shape, 1813. And to find one in this good condition isn't easy, so I'm very happy. It needs a wee bit more of cleaning, but it's stuck on good. The KG2 at that same hole is rough, along with the KG1. Still VERY happy.

Congrats on the three coppers!!!
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button