Thread: Group hunt in Mass - 11/15

Group hunt in Mass - 11/15

Our friend Jim in Sturbridge is on a permission roll this summer. He was hunting public land and got approached by a private land owner who was worried Jim was trespassing. He wasn't, and after talking to the guy, found out the owner thought that there had been a British encampment on one of his other properties.

So Jim invited a group of us to detect along with a couple of the property owners sons to see if there was an encampment. Dan was on the list for this hunt, but he had to work and was sorely missed! We were wondering what would happen if him and Howard Hewitt were to discuss history. We suspect a wormhole would get created to the past.
    Name:  Group2.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  69.7 KB

What we were introduced to was active cattle fields on a slope. The high flat ground across the street was occupied by a modern cemetery, and if there was an encampment, it was probably there. It definitely was not where we were.
    But, we did OK at the cattle fields, and even better at Jim's backup permission at a farm field 1/2 mile up the road. Howard got started with an early saddle shield.
    Name:  SaddleShield.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  37.7 KB

The spot coughed up a variety of finds, especially where the main field was gated to the next. I got a nice silver washed or gilt button, and our friend Rich got a fantastic 1857 Flying Eagle cent. It was amazingly clean, and he gave it to the land owner before we left. I'll have to find a pic of it.
    We eventually moved on to Spot #2 to since it was obvious the British weren't on that patch of New England.

Spot #2 was about 5 or 6 acres of hay fields between farm houses. It did OK with the 2'nd half of the day. I managed 2 coppers for sure. 1803 Draped Bust, and undated Braided. I'm calling the 3'rd a coin. It's badly worn and thick as a button, but still giving a 63 VDI.
    Name:  Coppers.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  59.3 KB

My other notable find from that field was my 1'st coin silver spoon. Badly mangled, but Howard was close by and spotted it for what it was right away. There was a monogram on the handle as well. I'm having a hard time nailing down a real date from the maker's mark.
    Name:  CoinSilver.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  59.5 KB

Name:  Monogram.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  44.8 KB

The find of the day came from Rich again. There was a high, flat spot in these fields that coughed up 2 of my coppers and other good finds. The mid 40's tone on his AT Pro coughed up an 18 karat gold thimble. It's monogrammed as well, not visible in this pic. Carter Gough and Co. Newark NJ.
    1841-1850 from the maker's mark. It came out of the ground the same shape it went in. Amazing!
    Name:  RichThimble.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  86.0 KB

The sun setting at 4:45 kept us from the place longer, and we never touched the 15 acre field at Jim's disposal. The spot we were on still has goodies in it for next year.
    Name:  Group1.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  63.1 KB
    Last edited by Trooper Bri; 11-20-2015 at 04:07 PM.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Those are some great finds! I wonder about the real date on the flying eagle cent as they were only minted between 1856-58. If it was actually dated 1861, then I'm sure it would have been an unauthorized coin, which wasn't unheard of in those days. But if that's the case, then you gave away a coin that could possibly fetch 6 to 7 figures!

As for the hallmarks, they read E.E & S.C. Bailey. Ebenezer Eaton Bailey and partner Samuel Chase Bailey, 1825-1862.
    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....iths/56777.htm

Hope this helps!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

"Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

DOD you "night owl" you beat me to it nice id !!

Rich's thimble in most of the pictures looked like silver (maybe i'm just use to HEAVYMETALNUT's very yellow looking pictures) , i just realized it was solid gold yesterday , that man has some luck !!
    Last edited by del; 11-20-2015 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    DOD you "night owl" you beat me to it nice id !!...!!
    Thanks Del, needed something to do at work tonight! Now just need to answer the question of the flying eagle date
    Equipment:

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Thanks Del, needed something to do at work tonight! Now just need to answer the question of the flying eagle date
    I hear you work was slow here tonight too !! I believe it was an 1857 DOD , i did see a picture of it somewhere

Nice finds. A lot of nice relics uncovered. What's with everyone up so early? Lol
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Some very nice finds there Brian. A Gold thimble.....WOW. Never seen a silver one in any hole I've dug much less a GOLD one. on all your keepers and what a shame the cemetery was where it was.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by RIdirtdigger View Post
    Nice finds. A lot of nice relics uncovered. What's with everyone up so early? Lol
    Not early, I work nights-12 hour shifts, usually 7 days a week.
    Equipment:

Lots of great finds! That gold thimble is amazing! Never seen anything like it.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Some very nice finds there Brian. A Gold thimble.....WOW. Never seen a silver one in any hole I've dug much less a GOLD one. on all your keepers and what a shame the cemetery was where it was.

My experiences and sentiments also .All my thimbles ( 3) were crushed , split or not complete .

Nice going on your finds Brian .

The Flying Eagle was 1857, my bad.
    Thanks for the link on the spoon. Bailey was coming up, just not with the maker's mark I had.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Very nice finds Brian! I've yet to find a coin silver piece. Rich's thimble is ridiculous
    Congrats!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

What a group! congrats on a great day of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Bri View Post
    Our friend Jim in Sturbridge is on a permission roll this summer. He was hunting public land and got approached by a private land owner who was worried Jim was trespassing. He wasn't, and after talking to the guy, found out the owner thought that there had been a British encampment on one of his other properties.

So Jim invited a group of us to detect along with a couple of the property owners sons to see if there was an encampment. Dan was on the list for this hunt, but he had to work and was sorely missed! We were wondering what would happen if him and Howard Hewitt were to discuss history. We suspect a wormhole would get created to the past.
    Name:  Group2.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  69.7 KB

What we were introduced to was active cattle fields on a slope. The high flat ground across the street was occupied by a modern cemetery, and if there was an encampment, it was probably there. It definitely was not where we were.
    But, we did OK at the cattle fields, and even better at Jim's backup permission at a farm field 1/2 mile up the road. Howard got started with an early saddle shield.
    Name:  SaddleShield.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  37.7 KB

The spot coughed up a variety of finds, especially where the main field was gated to the next. I got a nice silver washed or gilt button, and our friend Rich got a fantastic 1857 Flying Eagle cent. It was amazingly clean, and he gave it to the land owner before we left. I'll have to find a pic of it.
    We eventually moved on to Spot #2 to since it was obvious the British weren't on that patch of New England.

Spot #2 was about 5 or 6 acres of hay fields between farm houses. It did OK with the 2'nd half of the day. I managed 2 coppers for sure. 1803 Draped Bust, and undated Braided. I'm calling the 3'rd a coin. It's badly worn and thick as a button, but still giving a 63 VDI.
    Name:  Coppers.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  59.3 KB

My other notable find from that field was my 1'st coin silver spoon. Badly mangled, but Howard was close by and spotted it for what it was right away. There was a monogram on the handle as well. I'm having a hard time nailing down a real date from the maker's mark.
    Name:  CoinSilver.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  59.5 KB

Name:  Monogram.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  44.8 KB

The find of the day came from Rich again. There was a high, flat spot in these fields that coughed up 2 of my coppers and other good finds. The mid 40's tone on his AT Pro coughed up an 18 karat gold thimble. It's monogrammed as well, not visible in this pic. Carter Gough and Co. Newark NJ.
    1841-1850 from the maker's mark. It came out of the ground the same shape it went in. Amazing!
    Name:  RichThimble.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  86.0 KB

The sun setting at 4:45 kept us from the place longer, and we never touched the 15 acre field at Jim's disposal. The spot we were on still has goodies in it for next year.
    Name:  Group1.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  63.1 KB
    Was scrolling down my feed and saw this. Awesome finds! Stealth diggahs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk