Thread: Nice Little Relic Hunt at a 1820's brick house with a HUGE Side Yard!

Nice Little Relic Hunt at a 1820's brick house with a HUGE Side Yard!

Went digging today at a brick house built in the 1820's and found some cool relics! Got two flat buttons, one that looks like it was stepped on by a horse or something since it's so flattened out, and the other which is probably my most ornate flat button! The only thing is...where are the older coins? Anyways does anyone have any idea what the possible button is on the very top? It's empty in it and with no sign of a shank mark so maybe it's the front of a two piece button? Plus any clue how old it is or what the design represents? Thanks! Name:  image.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  98.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  112.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  123.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  52.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Pennsylvania Treasures; 11-24-2015 at 10:39 AM.

Congrats on the nice finds, apparently spanning maybe 3 centuries!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

WTG superb hunt
    The Best Beach Hunters Dig all Targets
    Silver Seekeers, FMDAC, The Geritol Metal Detecting Gang

Wish I could answer your questions. A very nice group of finds.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Congrats on the nice finds, apparently spanning maybe 3 centuries!
    Thanks man!

PT , I've got a couple of them buttons (all have rusty or no backs left to them) . they may be to a fraternal organization jacket or uniform but i'm at a loss for which one , they have to be from the late 1800's to early 1900's era . the older coins may be very deep , how were the roots on that large tree out front in that picture ? were they very exposed or not ??
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Lol. Still not rotating pics first..

Nice finds. That tree looks only about 100 years old or around that. Not being too specific. If the roots are exposed, then you might be able to see the late 1800s items with your machine, and the coins are deeper. Judge a little on how deep that scout slide was. The scouts were founded in 1910, but I think the slides were around after the 30's.

Yup, as Dan said, the button is a two piece design. I cannot give any more information than he did, but you absolutely know it's not older than about 1838. It's actually not that surprising how many two piece buttons have the backs missing.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    PT , I've got a couple of them buttons (all have rusty or no backs left to them) . they may be to a fraternal organization jacket or uniform but i'm at a loss for which one , they have to be from the late 1800's to early 1900's era . the older coins may be very deep , how were the roots on that large tree out front in that picture ? were they very exposed or not ??
    That's what I was thinking too about the odd button Dan. About the possible fill in of the area I don't think is what happened because the flower flat button was about 4 inches down in between 2 thick roots at that tree. I'll probably make another trip back here but I was surprised that not even an Indian came out of the place but 2 flat buttons from the 1820's did. The roots in the tree were in fact exposed so I'm stumped on why a copper didn't pop out. Very odd.
    Last edited by Pennsylvania Treasures; 11-24-2015 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Lol. Still not rotating pics first..

Nice finds. That tree looks only about 100 years old or around that. Not being too specific. If the roots are exposed, then you might be able to see the late 1800s items with your machine, and the coins are deeper. Judge a little on how deep that scout slide was. The scouts were founded in 1910, but I think the slides were around after the 30's.

Yup, as Dan said, the button is a two piece design. I cannot give any more information than he did, but you absolutely know it's not older than about 1838. It's actually not that surprising how many two piece buttons have the backs missing.
    Rotating the pictures before I post them is not working for me. Sorry about that. Thanks for the feedback! The scout slide was actually found in a old park down the street.

This fleurdelis site mentions an ax or halbert is a symbol of "execution of military duty." ...or maybe execution of executions
    Maybe it's a military button? I hope there wasn't dirt brought in at that site...most current homes have had it brought in
    http://www.fleurdelis.com/symbolism.htm
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Excellent finds and always love finding the decorative buttons. I'd agree with Dan and others that there's probably coins there, but they're probably just very deep and perhaps only a few. Statistical odds would be you'd find a few older items (your earlier buttons) but not all of them. I'd go back and go very slow.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Great group of finds,, congrats!
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1