Thread: First Day Detecting

First Day Detecting

Hello all, introduced myself a few days ago, new to the hobby. As expected the snow that fell a couple days after we bought our machines has melted. So today we spent the afternoon at one of the parks in town and learned to use our Garrett and White's detectors. Both detectors performed very well, we had lots of fun. We started out hitting targets right away. We went to the athletic fields and started on the areas where people sit to watch. Hit 5 targets right away, all foil and pull tabs. Then finally we hit our first coin, it was actually the White's that found the first coin. It read as a penny on the screen and that's exactly what it was. Then gradually we found coin after coin, all modern clad, but that's really what we expected from this site. We hope to find some gold out here as well, it's became obvious that lots of coins have been lost on the playing fields. Hopefully they lost more than that. Anyway, we actually ended up with more coins than trash. $2.17 in modern clad, and we all enjoyed it thoroughly. There are several parks in town I hope to provide older coins,our town is over 130 years old, so the older parks should be fun. BTW.....that's 8 quarters, 12 pennies, and a nickle, in about 2 1/2 hours. Name:  metal detecting #1 003.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  41.1 KB Dave
    Last edited by MI Detectors; 11-25-2015 at 06:11 PM.

Wow, your off to a great start. Keep digging those pull tabs and your going to get a golden surprise one of these days.
    Congrats on digging 21 coins first time out.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Dave , congrats on your "maiden voyage" so to speak !! Sounds like the machine preformed very well , the more you know those machines the better you will do with them . I do hope the weather holds off for you and you get more time out , enjoying yourself is what its about .Thanks for sharing your experience with us .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

wow, looks like you are digging the right targets! Nice job!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Thanks all! What's really encouraging is we barely covered any area at all. Most of the coins came from one small portion of one soccer field. There are 4 soccer/football fields and three baseball diamonds, a concessions area, a skate park, and a track/trail around the whole thing. But it's not an old park, less than 20 years. Dave

Soccer and Football fields can really produce the finds but please use extra caution and fill in them holes good and tightly pack them down , last thing we want to see is some kid twisting his ankle or worse .

Dan

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 1st hunt ! I f you have any hills overlooking ballfields where people sit to watch the games, that's a good spot to retrieve the stuff that fell out of their pockets. I found MANY silver coins on these types of areas. Sledding hills are good too. Happy hunting.

Congrats on your first time out. Not a bad haul considering its a newer park and you both are learning new machines. You may also want to spend a little time researching old maps, plats, and old aerial photos to see what has changed in the last 100 years or so. They can give a lot of information where to go for the old stuff if those places are still present and mostly undisturbed. I'm sure even at the newer sports parks you will find lots of lost jewelry. At a newer park in my area (less than 20 years old) I hauled tons of clad, but also many junker rings and some nice silver including a really sweet silver chain bracelet with silver cross. You just never know what you will find until you look. Just don't be discouraged if you don't find gold. It is difficult to detect, and comes up as trash signals in most cases (such as pull tabs or foil).
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Soccer and Football fields can really produce the finds but please use extra caution and fill in them holes good and tightly pack them down , last thing we want to see is some kid twisting his ankle or worse .

Dan
    Great point for us new folks. I spent some time showing my girls the right way to dig out a plug of dirt to get it back in the hole as if we were never there.

Been waiting for this post. on a very good start to your metal detecting career. When I started I only did schools and parks. After a year and a half I had managed over $750 in change which more than paid for my detector at the time. I then started to look for the old stuff so I hit some farm fields and the oldies started to pop.

Keep up the good digs. You keep mentioning "we".....is there someone else that needs an introduction?
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Elite Member
    Hit er every day because I don't think we have many left. Great start. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Congrats. Keep up the hunt and you will be surprised what you find. Lots of people give up after a few hunts but the person who can go all day to find one good coin finds many good finds over time.
    2017 Total:
    Mercs= 2
    Wash=1
    Seated=1
    total slivers=4
    Wheats 8.
    Indians=4 (1864,1865,1888)
    LG cents=1
    1 Sliver Pendent, 2= 3-ringers, 2 tokens

Most Valuable find ever: 1834 C.B. dime, Oldest 1776 1/2 Reale, Biggest 1822 CB half.
    Detectors: E-trac and F75LTD2

Quote Originally Posted by nalc472 View Post
    Lots of people give up after a few hunts but the person who can go all day to find one good coin finds many good finds over time.
    I agree , all it takes is that one good find to make your day or year !!

Great way to start your metal detecting career! May many more finds come your way.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Been waiting for this post. on a very good start to your metal detecting career. When I started I only did schools and parks. After a year and a half I had managed over $750 in change which more than paid for my detector at the time. I then started to look for the old stuff so I hit some farm fields and the oldies started to pop.

Keep up the good digs. You keep mentioning "we".....is there someone else that needs an introduction?
    The wife and I bought two machines, intended for us to use together. Then our daughters started to show interest in hunting, so the four of us have gone out twice now. So "we" will mean the wife and I at least. Our kids are 19 and 16, and they enjoyed treasure hunting much more than expected. We went out for about an hour today, in a cold drizzle. They didn't find much of anything, but the oldest kept at it with me after the other two went back to the car. We got real muddy and found 51 cents in clad and discovered where they pushed all of the debris from the 1881 fire. We found tons of junk! I had the iron discrimination set about half way, on the AT Pro it was about 20. But we kept hitting target after target of small pieces of iron, and they were really deep. And down there with them there was lots of brick, glass,and all sorts of debris. Fun hour in the rain! Dave

Nice going on your first hunt and welcome to the forum .