Thread: What do you do with your finds?

What do you do with your finds?

Being new, I'm wondering, after looking at folks galleries of photos, it appears that many keep and mount the better coins. For collecting? For selling? What about the rest of the silver, and the gold. Do people sell the finds for the value of the metal ? Does everyone sell those gold rings, or do some keep something they like? Keep the cool relics, whatever they might be? Again, just wondering what do you all do with your finds? Dave

I can't speak about what others do, but I like to keep the old silver jewelry for a while. Eventually I may scrap it as it's junk mostly. I haven't found any gold yet, but I'm sure it would be the same deal. I also keep any old copper and brass because it can be worth a lot when recycled. Last time I brought home around $400, and I'm back up to about 40 pounds or more again already.

As for the old coins, I plan to keep and display them sometimes. The wheat pennies I just clean, catalog, and then store them in a sealed container. Other old coins I clean the best I can and then seal them in flips and put them in my coin book. It keeps them organized quite well, easy to access, and keeps them clean and free of any further wear or damage.

Flips
    Name:  20151125_224015.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  61.0 KB

Name:  book1.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  book2.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  74.8 KB
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Yea........ I think old coins are cool. I would certainly be one to keep things until I have at least more than one, and collect something I don't already have, or upgrade to a better piece. Not unlike collecting minerals like the wife and I do. What we have that are nice pieces stay in the collection, the rest are used for sale or trade or just get boxed away.

My wife and I have an agreement. I get to treasure hunt as long as the finds end up going towards paying college tuition for our 2 girls. The collectable vintage jewelry and old coins will be kept and handed down to them but everything else will be liquidated when the time comes.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    My wife and I have an agreement. I get to treasure hunt as long as the finds end up going towards paying college tuition for our 2 girls. The collectable vintage jewelry and old coins will be kept and handed down to them but everything else will be liquidated when the time comes.
    Dave , that is a very worthy cause to sell finds and I have contemplated that very scenario , sell my coin finds (as I'm not a big coin collector) to help pay for my girls college and keep the more personable one of a kind relics.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Wow.. So it's like a job.. Bummer..
    Minelab E-Trac
    Whites DFX
    Garrett Pro Pointer