Thread: Post Thanksgiving Day Hunts / Seasons Not Over Yet!! (Pic Heavy)

Post Thanksgiving Day Hunts / Seasons Not Over Yet!! (Pic Heavy)

I took a drive a couple hours west on Black Friday. I started at small park. I didn't find any coins, but I did dig a very corroded watch fob. After a bit of electrolysis, I was able to see that it was from the 1893 Worlds Fair in Chicago. I didn't know it at the time, but I was off to a good start. Next, I hit a house that Hiluxyota and I did about three weeks ago. There was a lot of yard we never touched. Without going into a lot of detail, I dug, a 1936 Merc, an 1888 Indian, a 1948 Rosie, a 1944 Washington, a spill including a 1957 Canadian silver dime & 2 wheat pennies
    I also dug a really cool old buckle of some sort with a patent date of 1866, a 10 cent play money coin and old cuff link.
    On the way home, I stopped at the 1867 church again and was able to dig a worn 1903 Barber Dime.

Saturday, Hiluxyota and I decided to try a couple of new spots in the same area we've been hunting. We got absolutely nothing at parks so the door knocking began. The first house said yes, but only until his wife got home, then we would have to leave. My first signal, I dug a 1909 Indian. My second signal was 2' away and was another deep 12-37. Just as I knelt down to dig the plug he came out and said "She's home. You got to go" He actually looked scared. LOL . We got up and left. After that, things were very slow. All I found in the next couple of hours was a 1981 class ring. ( and yes, I did check with the owners. It wasn't theirs and there were no initials on it )
    On the way home, we stopped at the 1867 church once again, Tom was first on the board there, but I did manage a 1905 V nickel. Sunday, I slept in!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images                
    Last edited by Digger Don; 11-29-2015 at 02:28 PM.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

..... and on the seventh day he rested . Some awesome hunting and a great reason for resting . Awesome pictures too !

WOW, great finds Don! I was SO hoping that 1909 indian cent had a mint mark. Of course you know how much I love all things that are World's Fair related :-), that is a great fob you found. Any ideas what that brass thingamajig is? Perhaps part of a suspender clip? Congrats on all your great finds and HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Great hunting, as always. I love reading your posts because at the very bottom is your signature listing all your fantastic finds....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Elite Member
    Great hunt. I have yet to dig a watch FOB. Never dug a 1909 Indian yet either. Some great hunts Don. Hope you get a video posted. Thx WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin digger View Post
    Great hunt. I have yet to dig a watch FOB. Never dug a 1909 Indian yet either. Some great hunts Don. Hope you get a video posted. Thx WD
    I have two in the editing room now. You still have time to get your FOB this year. GOOD LUCK

Silver 5

Wow, great hunting! Those are some nice looking coins, and a great range of dates including the buckle!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Fantastic finds, Don! You are really killing it this year! It seems like just yesterday you were asking me for lessons on the E-Trac, now you should be giving me lessons!

I love that 1893 Worlds Fair fob!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Nice finds. I love the color of that ring stone. Looks almost like alexandrite. Sweet how you can get a date off that buckle. I have to look into the mintage of IH in 1909 because they switched to the wheats that year. I rarely know mintage numbers, so that's why I have to look into it. Both IH are in great shape otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Fantastic finds, Don! You are really killing it this year! It seems like just yesterday you were asking me for lessons on the E-Trac, now you should be giving me lessons!

I love that 1893 Worlds Fair fob!
    Thanks Tony, You have no idea how much help you actually were, Between hunting with you and watching your videos, I learned a lot.
    I look forward to getting together again sometime in the future. Don

Silver 5

Awesome finds Don!! That V nickel has some good detail!! Congrats!!
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1