Thread: Bridal rosette and a few other goodies

Bridal rosette and a few other goodies

Had about 3 hours to hunt today, but needed to get back home by early afternoon so couldn't stray far. Hit a familiar hole in my favorite 600 acre park in town, slowing down in the iron by using the small 4" coil and low discrimination on the F2. This is the same hole that coughed up 3 IHs, a Merc and an 1857 large Canadian bank token a few weeks back. Finds were slow to come by and no coins but did manage to snag a lead filled rosette, a Gibb & Co. suspender clip (c. late 1800s), a nice little one piece button with a star pattern and an interesting old coaster (at least I believe that's what it is) with a cloud and sun pattern on the front. I also included a picture of the back which has a hand-scribbled "CHINA" along the edge. Really odd and definitely not a modern "Made in China" object. I'm thinking early 20th century for that but you guys may have a better guess. The spot also gave up a customary ox knob, a shankless flat button, a 1960s era pocket knife and a few common horse-tack buckles. Lastly I included a shot of the junk I dug today and a pic of my relic shack in the back of my garage showing most of my finds from this year. My kids call it my nerd shack where I go and hide on some evenings . It's been a good year hunting for me and I can't complain one bit - very thankful to have discovered this wonderful hobby. This weekend I'm back to the colonial corn fields across the lake which should surely yield a few more goodies. No snow on the ground yet here in northern New England...almost unheard of this late in the year but no complaining for this guy. Thanks for looking and HH.

John

Name:  Dec1_finds.png
Views: 162
Size:  180.9 KBName:  Dec1_rosette_front.png
Views: 158
Size:  210.3 KBName:  Dec1_rosette_back.png
Views: 164
Size:  236.7 KBName:  Dec1_starbutton.png
Views: 151
Size:  223.1 KBName:  Dec1_suspenderbuckle.png
Views: 160
Size:  212.6 KBName:  Dec1_coasterfront.png
Views: 150
Size:  232.9 KBName:  Dec1_coasterback.png
Views: 155
Size:  202.0 KBName:  junk.png
Views: 152
Size:  220.3 KBName:  Dec1_relicshack.png
Views: 155
Size:  240.2 KB
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

you did pretty well with the small coil in the iron John , nice rosette and the star button looks very late 1700's to me , that place has some very good potential. I have a small room in my basement (thats starting to over flow ) that my kids also call the "nerd room" . Lets hope the snow holds off for at least another month or so
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Not a bad hunt. Been a while since a bridal rosette got under my coil. Interesting that CHINA does look hand scribbled. Love your last picture.

No snow - - No snow - - No snow
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Really nice finds spanning a few centuries! The hand etched "CHINA" I believe is from right after the McKinley Tariff Act became law in 1890 which required imports to be marked (in English) with their point of origin. It was probably a lot more economical to just etch in the word for a while instead of making new tooling.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    you did pretty well with the small coil in the iron John , nice rosette and the star button looks very late 1700's to me , that place has some very good potential. I have a small room in my basement (thats starting to over flow ) that my kids also call the "nerd room" . Lets hope the snow holds off for at least another month or so
    How funny Dan. Guess we're all nerdy in our own sorta way. It's what makes us unique! Thanks for the comments.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Really nice finds spanning a few centuries! The hand etched "CHINA" I believe is from right after the McKinley Tariff Act became law in 1890 which required imports to be marked (in English) with their point of origin. It was probably a lot more economical to just etch in the word for a while instead of making new tooling.
    Thanks for the complement, and for the historical context of the hand-scribbled CHINA wording. I'll read up on the Tariff Act when I have some more time, but makes good sense.

John

Cool finds John. I love those small coils.

"Relic Shack"....has a nice ring to it.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I've been incorporating my finds into the decor of the house....my wife is thrilled Congrats John!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Nice finds John! I'm working on my little niche in the basement but the family hasn't come up with a name yet

Great hunting and finds . The picture of all the relics displayed is really cool .

Well done! Congrats!
    Minelab CTX 3030
    Minelab Excalibur II
    Minelab GoFind 60
    Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II
    Garrett AT ProPointer
    Garrett Recovery Tool
    Stealth 720i Sand Scoop
    Vibra-Quatic 2 Pinpointer
    Land and Sea Pinpointer
    Lesche Digging Tool
    Lesche 40" Shovel
    Lesche Piranha Shovel
    2007 Jeep JK to get me to where the treasure is!

My Youtube Channel! American Digger in Europe:
    https://www.youtube.com/c/AmericanDiggerInEurope

Wow, that broken buckle is pretty huge. I see you already researched the suspender clip maker. It looked post 1880 to me. Nice star button, too. I wanna get a 5" DD for my machine. I used the 4" CC before and it worked well. That nice silverplate button came from that small coil, right in the cellar.