Thread: Google map errors found and more-pictorial

Google map errors found and more-pictorial

Hi all,
    Just to give a heads up, I discovered some problems while searching local Google maps looking for parks and other places to hunt. Apparently the Google app doesn't always show parks in green as they are normally shown, and sometimes even do not have park names or any other information when clicked on. This goes for Google Earth as well as I will show below:

This is how Google maps normally shows parks, filled with green. This also applies to cemeteries and sometimes other select sites. As you zoom in, the name will appear. Zoomed too far out for the name, it is still green.
    Name:  Missing park.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  37.8 KB

This is one of several locations I found recently. As you notice, there is a big blank spot. Not green, no information-even zoomed to maximum size.

Name:  missing park 1a.png
Views: 387
Size:  73.0 KB

Here is the same location on Google Earth. Sort of looks like a park, doesn't it?

Name:  Missing park 2.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  76.5 KB

I was able to track down the name of the park and found this map clip on Facebook. But even this map is incorrect as it shows the industrial site on the West side as park also!

Name:  Missing park 3.PNG
Views: 810
Size:  35.0 KB

Doing a bit more looking, I now realize this is not an isolated case. I found 2 more parks just like this in a rather small geographical are and I am positive there must be a LOT more to be found. I expect that non-locals who don't know of the existence of these "hidden" locations won't make a detecting trip here. So I think if some of these locations can be found in your detecting area, they may be untapped sources of land!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Digger_O'Dell; 12-01-2015 at 09:27 PM.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

I have noticed these anomalies as well, and have used them to my advantage. I love finding parks that don't show up as green on Google maps. I look at the satellite view of all surrounding towns, looking for the tell-tale signs of parks such as basketball courts, playground equipment, etc.

I have done very well at some of these parks.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    I have noticed these anomalies as well, and have used them to my advantage. I love finding parks that don't show up as green on Google maps. I look at the satellite view of all surrounding towns, looking for the tell-tale signs of parks such as basketball courts, playground equipment, etc.

I have done very well at some of these parks.
    That's an understatement. LOL
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Thanks for the thread. I've used satelitte imagery a little bit,, but it's been a while. Your thread prompted me to piddle with it some more. As a result, I just found a "new" park that was recently built on top of 4 home sites. It's not a real old neighborhood, but old enough to have some silver. Thanks for the reminder.
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Glad I could provide some information! I found this also applies to certain abandoned cemeteries too, which often had the church that was in charge of it still in existence or at least the location on record.

I just spent 2 days at one of these "hidden" parks where I could trace the land back to the owner who was a Lt. Col. in the Civil War and willed it to the county as a park to bear his name. Unfortunately even though the park shows no real visible change since a 1937 aerial photo, nothing was found but about $1 in clad and lots of ghetto type trash. Nothing shows up more than maybe 2-4" deep, so must have been pounded really hard before the area got too bad.
    Equipment:

I went by the new park today after work. Took 5 minutes and dug 4 high 70's target,, two were clad coins. My first impression was that it hadn't been hit,,, at least not hard. When I got home I did some more research and was surprised to find it was a field in 1947 per the aerial. My thinking now is that there won't be much more than clad there. But I will go back when I have more time.
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Quote Originally Posted by GA1dad View Post
    I went by the new park today after work. Took 5 minutes and dug 4 high 70's target,, two were clad coins. My first impression was that it hadn't been hit,,, at least not hard. When I got home I did some more research and was surprised to find it was a field in 1947 per the aerial. My thinking now is that there won't be much more than clad there. But I will go back when I have more time.
    Often you can also research a particular park and find out when it was opened. Though you are probably right that there will likely only be clad coins, there is very good potential to also find a lot more goodies such as lost jewelry if the park hasn't been pounded before. Also remember there is also the possibility there could still be items left from when it was a working field in the years before it became a park depending how much terraforming was done. Good luck to you!
    Equipment:

on my google earth, it does show up as Custer Playfield.
    maybe different versions show differently.
    Do you have places checked off on your layers?
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    on my google earth, it does show up as Custer Playfield.
    maybe different versions show differently.
    Do you have places checked off on your layers?
    Nope, nothing checked off on any layers. Maybe it's an anomaly when using Chrome browser? I don't know. The version of Explorer we use at work is old and no longer compatible with some features. But even on my phone, it doesn't work with the latest and greatest Android version. Maybe you just have the "special" computer with extra green ink?
    Equipment:

I always double check with bing maps because of this problem.
    Not common but it does happen.
    Also bird's eye view gives the most detail on closeups.
    Vaq/F2/Compadre/Judge 2/F70-2015 finds a bunch of silver jewelry, several silver coins and 3 gold rings!

I find it best to switch between mapping tools. Sometimes I can see the stone walls in the bird's eye that I can't in the satellite view. Sometimes I can't see the cellars in the bird's eye, but can in the Satellite due to the time of year the image was taken. Some have street view, some don't.

I have noticed a lot of errors in Google. Sometimes it's best for me to use my GIS mapping that I found. It seems to color the parks green, like google, but I'd trust the assessor more accurately. I've showed on here once about how the google parcel indicator lines (altho not always present in each town) are correct to the shape of the old map road lines. The only thing is that they are offset by a tad. I think it has something to do with the 1934 aerials coming from a plane, and you can see the points where the images meet. Google map has some sort of algorithm to adjust to the Earth's curvature while the 2D image does not. My GIS tool, tho, shows the roads that no longer exist. Well, I got three GIS tools depending on the area to hunt. But Imma look more into private spots after the luck I been having in comparison to the cellars I been finding.