Thread: Google map errors found and more-pictorial

Threaded View

Google map errors found and more-pictorial

Hi all,
    Just to give a heads up, I discovered some problems while searching local Google maps looking for parks and other places to hunt. Apparently the Google app doesn't always show parks in green as they are normally shown, and sometimes even do not have park names or any other information when clicked on. This goes for Google Earth as well as I will show below:

This is how Google maps normally shows parks, filled with green. This also applies to cemeteries and sometimes other select sites. As you zoom in, the name will appear. Zoomed too far out for the name, it is still green.
    Name:  Missing park.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  37.8 KB

This is one of several locations I found recently. As you notice, there is a big blank spot. Not green, no information-even zoomed to maximum size.

Name:  missing park 1a.png
Views: 388
Size:  73.0 KB

Here is the same location on Google Earth. Sort of looks like a park, doesn't it?

Name:  Missing park 2.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  76.5 KB

I was able to track down the name of the park and found this map clip on Facebook. But even this map is incorrect as it shows the industrial site on the West side as park also!

Name:  Missing park 3.PNG
Views: 827
Size:  35.0 KB

Doing a bit more looking, I now realize this is not an isolated case. I found 2 more parks just like this in a rather small geographical are and I am positive there must be a LOT more to be found. I expect that non-locals who don't know of the existence of these "hidden" locations won't make a detecting trip here. So I think if some of these locations can be found in your detecting area, they may be untapped sources of land!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Digger_O'Dell; 12-01-2015 at 09:27 PM.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!