Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: never though i would get one of these

never though i would get one of these

the day started breezy and a little chilly but i was up for a hunt and with little time left before that "orrable" white stuff coats the ground i was determined to get out with aloldstuff to a house from 1799 that he had lined up for us.
    i arrived at al's house at 9am where he handed me the choice of two tootsie pops saying "this is the key to having a good days hunt", "weird" i thought, but not knowing these Massachusetts customs i played along and choose one and before long we where swinging the coils around this rather promising looking home but as we all know and in al's words "sometimes a 1799 house is just a house" , complete blowout bar a few wheat penny's to al and a ornate horse thingie to me.
    after hunting for around 2 hours al thought it might be a good idea to hit a farm field he has had some good luck off of so off we went.
    getting out of the car at the farm the wind felt even colder but we decided to give it a go.
    i choose a line in between the flattened corn stalks and off i went. looking up i could already see al striding down the field like the jolly green giant on steroids looking for colonial coppers.
    my first signal was can slaw , my second signal was also can slaw, but then came a signal that nearly blew my ears off !!!! 95,95,95,95 in all directions at 9 inches a number i have not seen on the AT pro before.
    digging down i see the edge of a silver coin with reading around the edge "al,i think i have a half dollar" i shout, "no way" was the response i got back as al began to walk back towards me.
    we both look in the hole and start giggling like a couple of school girls. as i start to brush the dirt away the coin seems to be getting bigger and bigger ? "mate its a dollar" say al and sure enough it was but not just any dollar.......a Morgan !!!!! , at this point it all becomes a bit of a blur as i stand up and run around like a baboon with its bum on fire .
    when i finally get back to the hole this is the sight that greeted me
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by lee; 12-03-2015 at 11:51 PM.

Oh man!! Congrats and great reaction! lol!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

You'll never forget the thrill of finding that Beauty .

WOW, That is one SWEET coin! Really good condition too-what a beauty!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Huge congrats on a fantastic find. When you were wiping the dirt away and that rim exposed itself I knew then that it was a dollar coin. So happy for ya pal and as stated before you will not forget the feeling......The wind was horrific. As I was walking along carrying my shovel by the handle the wind actually blew the shovel out in front of me....

The last time Lee came up this way we did not get anything really good and then I remembered that the last two times that I went out and got coppers I had a tootsie pop with me each time.

The power of the Tootsie Pop.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Lee , what a great outing and find !!! and to share it with Al too
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

HUGE congrats on the wonderful Morgan Dollar, Lee!

I wish I could have been there to see your reaction!

I'm still looking for my first silver dollar. Maybe someday.

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

That is an incredible find! Congrats!

Still looking for my first..
    Coins found so far: (DETECTING SINCE JULY 2015)
    Silver - 1 SLQ, 6 Washingtons, 11 Mercs, 8 Rosies, 1 Barber Dime, 7 War Nickels
    Others - 6 buffalo nickels, 1 large cent, 1 colonial copper, 5 IHP, and too many wheats.

DETECTORS USED
    Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250, and Pro-Pointer AT

Elite Member
    Never had the joy of seeing that in the hole. Like you said I don't think anyone ever expects to find a silver dollar. CONGRATS. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Wowweeeeee!!! I found one a month or so ago, but mine is in terrible condition...yours is breathtaking!!! You know, I've yet to hunt with Al....and he gives Tootsie pops?!!! Congrats on s super find!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    You know, I've yet to hunt with Al....and he gives Tootsie pops?!!! Congrats on s super find!
    Lee must be special i've detected with Al more than once and don't remember any Tootsie pop I'm sure it was the reason I didn't find much
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Wowweeeeee!!! I found one a month or so ago, but mine is in terrible condition...yours is breathtaking!!! You know, I've yet to hunt with Al....and he gives Tootsie pops?!!! Congrats on s super find!
    Only while the supplies last.....

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Lee must be special i've detected with Al more than once and don't remember any Tootsie pop I'm sure it was the reason I didn't find much
    Dan, wasn't aware of the power of the Tootsie Pop at the time.....sorry..

2020:

WoW great find! Big silver and a pop is always a good day!

WTG Lee. That's amazing!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Nice big silva, you crazy cockney. I was down at your store Satruday, too bad I chose a time when you were on vacay. lol. Well, I was in Glastonbury for a hunt so I stopped by there because it's the only place that carries a specific item.
    No mint mark, but still nice to knock off the list. I wonder if Al is kicking himself wondering how he missed it on previous hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Nice big silva, you crazy cockney. I was down at your store Satruday, too bad I chose a time when you were on vacay. lol. Well, I was in Glastonbury for a hunt so I stopped by there because it's the only place that carries a specific item.
    No mint mark, but still nice to knock off the list. I wonder if Al is kicking himself wondering how he missed it on previous hunts.
    Oh Jim, another assumption......this field was never detected by myself or anybody that I know. So no kicking. just high 5's and congrats to Lee.

2020:

Stellar find!
    Welcome to the silver dollar club.
    Vaq/F2/Compadre/Judge 2/F70-2015 finds a bunch of silver jewelry, several silver coins and 3 gold rings!

awesome find!
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

very pretty coin, lucky find, dreamin of the day....

Great find. Can't wait to find my first Silver Dollar. Congrats!!!!
    2017 Total:
    Mercs= 2
    Wash=1
    Seated=1
    total slivers=4
    Wheats 8.
    Indians=4 (1864,1865,1888)
    LG cents=1
    1 Sliver Pendent, 2= 3-ringers, 2 tokens

Most Valuable find ever: 1834 C.B. dime, Oldest 1776 1/2 Reale, Biggest 1822 CB half.
    Detectors: E-trac and F75LTD2