Thread: Lots of clad and 65-coin spill!

Candidate Member

Lots of clad and 65-coin spill!

Got out yesterday for about 4 hours and hit a close local park hoping for some jewelry but ended up having a fun day digging clad coins. This is a fairly "young" park, although I do dig an occasional pull-tab (most are stay-tabs), I still think there is a silver dime or two waiting to be dug.

The park has two large fields used for lacrosse practice, flag football and the like. There are several movable bleacher stands which are always getting moved around and some trees which evidently attract a lot of activity! I started off searching around bleacher stands and the first one didn't produce much. I moved across the field to another location and ended up on a spot about 2' x 2' that was littered with good signals. I dug a couple coins with the detector and then set it down and just started scanning with my pinpointer. I probably dug about $2.50 in about 20 coins in this small area just using the pinpointer. When I was done I rescanned with the coil and picked up a few more that were below the reach of the PP.

After that section things just got better! I moved to some trees between the fields that I had not searched before and just started searching out from the tree trunks. I started picking up lots of coins on each pass - most of them were multiples. I found several places where the PP was easier to use than the detector again. I spent some time under one tree in particular that seemed to hold more coins than the others.

After the trees it was getting close to time to leave and I decided to battle EMI and experiment under the power lines along the road. I loaded 15Khz mode and dropped the sensitivity and still put up with a little interference but I was able to hunt it. The parking lot (asphalt) is along the road and under the powerlines and I know the ground along there has some targets so I will be working that area on a future visit.

I worked the edge of an asphalt path back to my truck and dug a few more coins and an old pull-tab style beer can. The next target was my last hole and it gave a low-70's from one direction but choppy and trashy signal from a other directions and it read deep at about 8 inches (the deepest targets are around 4-5 inches.) I contemplated this signal for a while before digging it. There was some surface trash over it which I dug and rescanned, still getting a choppy low 70's. I dug down about 8 inches and PP the hole to find a big target which I assumed was going to be junk but then I saw a coin at the bottom. I started pulling handfuls of dirt out of the hole and signals were everywhere in the dirt and the hole - bottom and sides!

Again, PP was the tool of choice, however, as things are bound to happen, the battery in my PP starts to die! I had to keep turning it off after getting the "low battery alarm", removing dirt, locate whatever coins I could by eye and then turn the PP on again to quickly scan for additional coins and repeat so I wouldn't kill the battery before I had all the coins. The hole was silent before I left but I marked the location so I can come back again.

In all, my last hole of the day produced 65 coins! The shallowest coin was about 7-8 inches and the deepest was about 10 in a concentrated area. They were all Memorial Cents but it was FUN!

Total clad for the hunt was $5.72 / 142 coins!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Elite Member
    Boy, I thought my 113 yesterday over 2 spots was a lot/ Nice day. Way back in the day I hit a spot like that and found a bunch of memorials as I remember. On a subsequent visit I found out that was a spot where someone did a coin scramble for kids every year so the coins I found were the ones they missed. Its possible that was the same thing. None the less great find and its always nice to find gas money. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Now go buy yourself some batteries Nice haul!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Very nice! Make sure you check even the memorial pennies-there are a couple odd dates and possible error coins that fetch a "pretty penny". Sounds like a fun day even if no jewelry was found-but at least you have battery money!

I just hunted a 1901 mansion this morning and only found clad, the oldest being mid 1970's. On the way home I stopped at a nearby factory where there is an abandoned parking lot near a dead end road. Here I found 1958 wheatie in the woods next to the lot and a couple older 1960's memorials. Just goes to show that you can never judge just from the age of a place what one can find.
    Last edited by Digger_O'Dell; 12-06-2015 at 07:43 PM.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Candidate Member
    Went back to this park tonight for as short hunt. I searched this hole again and pulled 4 more Mem's from it bringing the total for this hole to 69!

Candidate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin digger View Post
    Boy, I thought my 113 yesterday over 2 spots was a lot/ Nice day. Way back in the day I hit a spot like that and found a bunch of memorials as I remember. On a subsequent visit I found out that was a spot where someone did a coin scramble for kids every year so the coins I found were the ones they missed. Its possible that was the same thing. None the less great find and its always nice to find gas money. WD
    There does seem to be a ridiculous amount of change in the grass at this park. It is very popular in the summer but i havent heard of a coin scramble here. Obviously, something deliberate happened with those pennies!

Nice going and welcome to the forum . If you keep hauling in coins like that you just may be able to join Leslie (nova scotia) on an English coin hunt .

Dang, memorials or not 142 coins is quite the haul..
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album