Thread: Cold water detecting?

Cold water detecting?

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience in extreme cold water detecting (32-40 degrees)? I'm looking into some insulated (1600g thinsulate) neoprene chest waders and matching elbow length gloves to detect this winter. Just trying to figure out how to best keep warm the longest in the water and hoped to get some input. I have never used waders before, so have no experience here. Also wondering how much protection the upper bib helps keep warm in cold air? I can sometimes expect air temps of 32 to -25 with wind chills occasionally in excess of -80, and maybe much worse at water level with higher humidity and nothing blocking the wind.

I figure once the ground does freeze, I will still be able to detect the river where I think I located a fording from an early 1800's military road, among other possible areas. I also will be able to detect Lake Michigan off the popular beaches nearby which never freezes over-just might have a few "icebergs" to contend with on occasion.

Update: Pretty sure the $$ top tier $$ waders and gloves have already been ordered for my x-mas present!
    Last edited by Digger_O'Dell; 12-08-2015 at 01:46 AM.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

I've detected once in cold temps with Fsa46 (Frank) and Thiltzy (Todd) at a ocean beach here in Ct. in the winter months , luckily i have a good pair of thick neoprene waders and they did keep me pretty warm . Frank is the master at cold water detecting , shoot him a private message . He's a great gentleman to talk to .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Digger, You shouldn't have any problem with the waders you're describing. In fact, I wear my regular Gore-Tex waders year round and I've hunted with slush forming in my sifter in the saltwater. It's not for everyone but it works for me. I wear long johns of course.

Another BIG item for me is to wear a short sleeve neoprene top that goes over my waders. This has saved my butt on more than one occasion . Should you take a wave over your head or just fall, ( which has happened to me ) your waders won't fill with water.

Gauntlets are a must but elbow length gloves won't get it done. I have bought the ones most guys use ( the green ones with the red poly gloves ) but got tired of repairing them. I know many guys have good luck with them but when I was hunting every day they didn't cut it. They'll probably work fine for what you're doing.

I made a couple pairs of gauntlets from Gore-Tex waders and they are GREAT. A lot more rugged than any on the market.

Be sure you wear liners with whatever gauntlets you buy and "Hot Hands" are always worn. I like to take my Hot Hands out and activate them about an hour prior to hunting so they're really warm when I'm ready to enter the water.

I don't wear anything special on my head but most guys do. You have to wear whatever makes you comfortable no matter how funny you may look.

I hope this will get you off on the right foot. Stay safe and good luck.
    Last edited by fsa46; 12-08-2015 at 07:10 AM.
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

Hey Frank , thank you very much for chiming in sir
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Hey Frank , thank you very much for chiming in sir
    You're welcome, glad I could help him Dan.
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

Thank you Frank! I really appreciate the input, and didn't expect to really find anyone else as "crazy" as I am to water hunt in those kinds of conditions!

I had not thought of a neoprene top, but I'll definitely look into it. Luckily the waders I'm getting feature a belt to help stop water filling them in case of an accidental dip. The top will get wet, but the a person can recover from that if not completely submerged too long. Plus there is the help that the 5mm of neoprene is buoyant enough that it is also a safety factor in the water as I found out through scuba experience with my wet suit. I would just hate to lose access to the top pocket to put the finds and use of the inner pocket and hand warmer pockets. There are no waves on the river to worry about but the lake can get rough-although days like that are best avoided anyway. One big advantage I can think of is that I won't have to worry about competition at the beach, or any curious people.

One thing I have found this year is that the cold weather keeps people inside especially in the mornings which opens up opportunities to hunt areas in the bad areas of the city that would otherwise be very unsafe. I suspect some of the small lakes and ponds in inner city parks could be prime locations this winter considering the warmer winter so far.

I just hope I have the opportunity to score some gold rings that seem to only get lost in the water, plus coins and relics that are out of reach for most detectorists in my area. I have heard of many items being washed up from the shipwrecks in the area especially after winter storms.
    Last edited by Digger_O'Dell; 12-08-2015 at 09:11 PM.
    Equipment:

Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime

As for gloves, I had hoped these would do the trick:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0078YF15K/...I1XURFTTFC13FH

Equipment:

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post

If you're only going to hunt up to your knees they MIGHT work. If you're going to take full advantage of water hunting you'll learn the hard way. lol

I had thought I would only have to worry about keeping hands warm and dry while reaching into the basket for items. Most of any river searching would be knee deep or less anyway, but Lake Michigan is a different story. Nice thing is most of the beach areas close by are only just past knee deep 1/4 mile out until it drops off. Only outside the city area to the north does it get deep rather quickly. But since it's quite cold year round I don't think people spend much time in deeper water anyway.
    Equipment:

I'll have to remember my detector this winter when we conduct our ice rescue training.

Some great information here but I thing I will wait until summer to hit the water

I had thought I would only have to worry about keeping hands warm and dry while reaching into the basket for items. Most of any river searching would be knee deep or less anyway, but Lake Michigan is a different story. Nice thing is most of the beach areas close by are only just past knee deep 1/4 mile out until it drops off. Only outside the city area to the north does it get deep rather quickly. But since it's quite cold year round I don't think people spend much time in deeper water anyway.
    In that case they may be OK D, if not, you know what to do. Stay safe and keep warm.

I just ordered a Scubapro Drysuit so I can metal detect the swimming lakes all year round!

Name:  ScubaPro-Everdry-4-Drysuit-Big-2.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  18.7 KB
    Minelab CTX 3030
    Minelab Excalibur II
    Minelab GoFind 60
    Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II
    Garrett AT ProPointer
    Garrett Recovery Tool
    Stealth 720i Sand Scoop
    Vibra-Quatic 2 Pinpointer
    Land and Sea Pinpointer
    Lesche Digging Tool
    Lesche 40" Shovel
    Lesche Piranha Shovel
    2007 Jeep JK to get me to where the treasure is!

My Youtube Channel! American Digger in Europe:
    https://www.youtube.com/c/AmericanDiggerInEurope

Drysuit could be a great way to go, but WAY too expensive! I would also worry about wearing out the soles of the booties-they aren't made for walking in.
    Equipment:

Drysuit could be a great way to go, but WAY too expensive! I would also worry about wearing out the soles of the booties-they aren't made for walking in.
    I'm a SCUBA Diver and spend most of the spring-summer and fall detecting the Adriatic Sea and local swimming lakes with my Sea Hunter MK II and my CTX 3030. The purchase of this drysuit will allow me to underwater detect during the winter also.

The neoprene socks are NOT for walking as you said. I've also purchased a set of rock-boots that are worn to provide protection both to your feet and the neoprene socks. The winter, fall and early spring are the best times to underwater MD because you can do it without interruptions from curiosity seekers and the water is MUCH less turbid during those seasons which allows better underwater visibility.

If I find 2 nice gold or platinum rings, the drysuit has paid for itself!
    Last edited by ODA 226; 12-19-2015 at 03:39 AM.
    Minelab CTX 3030
    Minelab Excalibur II
    Minelab GoFind 60
    Garrett AT ProPointer
    Garrett Recovery Tool
    Stealth 720i Sand Scoop
    Land and Sea Pinpointer
    Lesche Digging Tool
    Lesche 40" Shovel
    Lesche Piranha Shovel

Minus any degrees outside, time to do research instead

When I water detect in chest waders, I use these gloves and they really work well! They keep you warm and dry up to your shoulders!

http://www.amazon.com/Wells-Lamont-C.../dp/B00B5FTVQS
    Last edited by ODA 226; 03-14-2016 at 08:41 AM.
    Minelab CTX 3030
    Minelab Excalibur II
    Minelab GoFind 60
    Garrett AT ProPointer
    Garrett Recovery Tool
    Stealth 720i Sand Scoop
    Land and Sea Pinpointer
    Lesche Digging Tool
    Lesche 40" Shovel
    Lesche Piranha Shovel

Thanks for the info! Have to figure something out by next winter maybe, though the future of that detecting is in question. I really didn't find anything of note this year. Couple pennies, a fishing lure, and some trash
    Equipment:

Thanks for the info! Have to figure something out by next winter maybe, though the future of that detecting is in question. I really didn't find anything of note this year. Couple pennies, a fishing lure, and some trash
    I found a gold ring and two silver rings at a lake last weekend. It's really cold here in Germany, but my Frog Toggs and the trapper gloves allowed me to stay in near freezing water for four hours!
    Minelab CTX 3030
    Minelab Excalibur II
    Minelab GoFind 60
    Garrett AT ProPointer
    Garrett Recovery Tool
    Stealth 720i Sand Scoop
    Land and Sea Pinpointer
    Lesche Digging Tool
    Lesche 40" Shovel
    Lesche Piranha Shovel

Congrats on the rings!
    Staying warm in the waders I have isn't an issue. Actually much warmer in the water with ice chunks floating around me than out of the water. The problem is the lack of public places and too many people pounding what little there is.
    Equipment: