Thread: #1 Bucket Lister at the old church!

#1 Bucket Lister at the old church!

Hi all,

Of all the things on my bucket list, there are the "dream coins" and the ones that have at least a somewhat realistic although often remote chance of being found. So I was in for quite a huge surprise this morning!

I went back to the old church this morning to give the back play field one last chance. In the past I am pretty sure it was once used as a pasture as I found cattle related items there, but no old coins-just a lot of modern clad which were almost all zincolns. Today I started back over an area I had been through before a couple times before, but suddenly I started getting some really nice deep signals, and I started pulling out a couple very early wheats from 8 to 10 inches which turned out to be 1916 and 1919, and a 1946. I suspect that now the soil wasn't waterlogged any more I was betting better signals.

Not far from the other wheats, I got another deep 12-36/38 signal. It was very sketchy and only came up with the coil dead over it-miss it by an inch or so and I lost the signal. It semed much like some of the nails I had dug nearby that were shallower, but showed as penny signals also-just sketchy like this was-but this was just a bit different, as it was repeatable from 90 degrees off unlike the nails. So I dug to the indicated 9 inches and nothing-pinpointer showed a weak signal still deeper. I had a few of these before here too which turned out to be very deep metal fence post ends. But I decided to dig a bit more anyway as the pinpointer was showing it to be smaller than a post. I began to worry as I got to the 12 inch mark, but suddenly I pull up a clump of dirt with the signal. I break it open and see a Big Brown Disc! I couldn't even imagine right away that it might be what I thought it may be. But as soon as I brushed a bit more dirt away I see the "One Cent" and the wreath. Turn it over and I see a bust-braided hair-and a date-1841....AMAZING!! This dates to the time of the first settlers in the region, and predates the church by over 60 years! Large cents are extremely rare in the Midwest, and mostly unheard of in Wisconsin. I know of only a couple ever being found near me.

Saw this, I had to text a friend right away with this pic, and then was doing the happy detectorist dance! (really, I did!)
    Name:  20151211_074057.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  86.2 KB
    It wasn't until later that I could really look at the coin-I was shaking too bad! But now it's been washed and I have it in olive oil.
    Name:  20151211_190127.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  38.9 KB

Name:  20151211_190511.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  36.7 KB
    The wheats and dated 1987 Chuckie token
    Name:  20151211_190615.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  36.9 KB
    Last edited by Digger_O'Dell; 12-12-2015 at 06:31 AM.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Big congrats and great story! It's in great shape too!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Thanks Bucknut! At the depths I am now looking at, I'm thinking about ditching the CTX for a bit and break out the X-Terra again with the 15" coil. Maybe I'm missing some great coins out of CTX range? I can easily get 18 plus inches with that coil, but so many nails! At least if I run 3KHz, most iron will be basically invisible...decisions....decisions....!
    Last edited by Digger_O'Dell; 12-12-2015 at 12:01 AM.
    Equipment:

Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime

Nice going , you're finishing up the year in fine style with that bucket lister .Great story and pictures !!

Thanks CT! Been drooling over those largies from the East Coast since I first joined this site, never thought I would ever even see one much less find one here...but I had hoped!

Ok, I'll admit I'm a bit giddy today
    Equipment:

Big congrats Chris ! You've certainly worked for it!

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Excellent find. I found one in Wisconsin earlier this year, but not even close to the condition of yours.
    Here's a well deserved
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Thanks Bucknut! At the depths I am now looking at, I'm thinking about ditching the CTX for a bit and break out the X-Terra again with the 15" coil. Maybe I'm missing some great coins out of CTX range? I can easily get 18 plus inches with that coil, but so many nails! At least if I run 3KHz, must iron will be basically invisible...decisions....decisions....!
    i think it is ALWAYS a good idea to go over a place with another machine if you have the opportunity!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Huge congrats on that bucket lister. Definitely go over that site with your other machine as that LC was deep.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Candidate Member
    Sweet find! Don't write off the possibility of older coins in the Midwest! Lots of trade and movement was happening when these coins were being minted! Definitely hit that site hard!

Elite Member
    Great find Chris, I told you fall is a great time to hunt. Signals are great. Nice job WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Quote Originally Posted by local_coins View Post
    Sweet find! Don't write off the possibility of older coins in the Midwest! Lots of trade and movement was happening when these coins were being minted! Definitely hit that site hard!
    Of course not-I also know my area was a central area of Indian culture and transportation along the river dating back to at least 700 AD. I also traced activity of French trappers and traders chasing beaver back to the early to mid 1600's!

Thanks WD, Don, and Groundhog! I'll keep pounding the dirt to see what shakes out!
    Equipment:

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    OH MAN!! Chris, I was very happy for you when you sent me that text. Your persitance paid off at that site. Congrats again on a great find for our area. I would defiantly hit that spot with another machine if you have the time.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Nice. You made it into the LC club. It's in pretty good shape. I think the LC I been finding keep getting better and better, starting out with toasted ones and moving up to ones that are better. Altho, that also means the ones which are better are also newer.

WTG on the LC!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

GREAT bucket lister!!! Congrats!
    I <3 colonial relics!