Thread: A new coin for my collection and the interesting history behind it

A new coin for my collection and the interesting history behind it

Hey Diggers,
    I wanted to share my latest coin acquisition and tell you the interesting history behind it. It is an 1804 Bank of England 5 Shillings Dollar.

England was at war with Napoleon and France and shortages of silver coins were becoming a major problem. In 1802, Napoleon violated the Treaty of Amiens and the threat of invasion by France became very real. This threat of invasion started a panic and people started hoarding coinage (as they always do when war threatens). The need for silver coins became so great that by 1803 banks were offering 101 pounds (paper money) for 60 pounds in face value of silver coins! The British government had to act quickly to avert a complete financial failure. England had captured several hundred thousand 8 reales from Napoleon but they were not legal tender in England.

So a plan was developed to over-stamp them with a small portrait of the king. However, it wasn't very long before counterfeit coins began showing up in the market. The mint decided the only way to prevent the counterfeiting was to over-stamp the entire coin! Between 1804 and 1811 about 412,000 8 reales were over-stamped as Bank of England Dollars (although they all bore the date of 1804).

Many of these over-stamped coins still show evidence of their original 8 reales images visible through the over-stamp. These are actually more desirable to collectors.

The coin I purchased does not show any of the old images although the lettering is weak in many places. Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoyed this history lesson as much as I did.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Sweet looking coin!! Thanks for the story.
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

Very pretty! Nice pics too, thanks!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew