Thread: First water detecting experience

First water detecting experience

Hi all,
    I was able to get out detecting in Lake Michigan New Years eve off the main beach in town and learned a lot of new things. First thing I learned is that putting on waders while in the car is a BEAR! Next learning experience was when I realized how buoyant waders are-my feet/legs kept trying to float out from under me while trying to walk-thought for sure I was going arse over teakettle before long! I learned very quickly that movement is very slow and tiring on the arms due to resistance of the water while swinging. I anticipated this, but didn't realize how much drag I would have. I did figure out a slightly different way to swing on a bit of an angle to be more efficient which made swinging easier.

It wasn't too long before I got a signal and then found out how difficult it was to actually find the target with the scoop in murky water! I also learned really fast that once the handle of the detector or scoop got wet it would immediately freeze making for a very slippery experience! It didn't take long before I apparently drew a small crown of gawkers taking pics and video of me in the water. My friend on shore had several people approach her and ask if she saw the nutcase in the lake. Her response was "yep, he's with me..." !

Unfortunately after a couple hours I found nothing but trash-not a single coin signal. My friend was told by several onlookers that they have detecting friends who have given up on this beach because it's pounded to death by every person with a cheap bounty hunter on up. At least I got some good cold water experience and can't help but improve in time. Just have to remember not to drink so much coffee before donning waders!

Well, off to try an inland lake!

Name:  20160102_091258.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  28.1 KB
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

At least you learned something!
    I've been wanting to try out some water detecting too. It sounds like there will be a little bit of a learning curve. Which is OK. Now I just have to get me a water safe machine and find a place to try it out.
    Well, at least you got a chance to get out and swing a little. Good luck on your next attempt ,at the inland lake!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Ended up in a river today. Tough digging with a compacted gravel bed and big rocks. Took me 20 minutes to retrieve my only coin, a stupid penny. Did manage 2 fishing lures, a pipe fitting and piece of lead pipe.
    Equipment:

Name:  20160102_115918.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  83.6 KB
    Equipment:

Digger, Water hunting definitely has a learning curve but is not that difficult once you learn the " ins and outs ".

If you're using a neoprene wetsuit you might have to use a diving belt. Also, I have my machine tethered to me and use a floating sifter. Another thing I did was to put yellow tape around my coil so I can see it better in the water. However, after doing it as long as I have you really don't need it, but it is helpful...in your case I think you'd really like it .

Once you find your first gold ring you'll be hooked and want to become a dedicated pirate to plunder more treasure.

Stay safe and "Good Luck".
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

Quote Originally Posted by fsa46 View Post
    Digger, Water hunting definitely has a learning curve but is not that difficult once you learn the " ins and outs ".

If you're using a neoprene wetsuit you might have to use a diving belt. Also, I have my machine tethered to me and use a floating sifter. Another thing I did was to put yellow tape around my coil so I can see it better in the water. However, after doing it as long as I have you really don't need it, but it is helpful...in your case I think you'd really like it .

Once you find your first gold ring you'll be hooked and want to become a dedicated pirate to plunder more treasure.

Stay safe and "Good Luck".
    Thanks much for the input-greatly appreciated! I am using insulated neoprene chest waders which I find quite warm and comfy even in icy water. I haven't felt the chill at all which has been really nice. On my second outing today I found that I no longer had any difficulty with the buoyancy issue and didn't even really notice it. So far I had been getting by on the bright red CTX logo on the coil, but the tape idea sounds good so I may have to try that! My waders do have D rings on them, so I'm definitely going to find some kind of tether soon. I'm also waiting for the right packing material to arrive at work that I can use as a float for my sifter. These things pop up periodically as parts orders come in and I have an idea in mind. I have also found out today the drawback to gloves only going to the elbow in deeper water. One wrong bend of the arm and OOPS-cold water in the glove and a wet sleeve! But you are right, one gold ring (or any gold for that matter) would do it, although I am already hooked just by the increased odds over park hunting.

Unfortunately I have only noticed very recently that inland lake detecting near me will be very limited. Most lakes are now fully private with no public beaches or public access. Most of the others that do have public beaches are state park land which is off limits to detecting. The remaining few are heavily pounded by the few detectorists who water hunt in my area from what I have learned. I was even told by the guy who I bought my CTX from that he and a friend hit every possible body of water within a few hours drive a couple times every year.

One question I have is how does one deal with tough gravel riverbeds that are mostly difficult to dig at best? It's sort of been like digging a compacted gravel driveway with a snow shovel! . The other scenario is deep mucky bottoms with a lot of leaf and branch debris, plant growth, etc. I can't see this as an easy place to retrieve targets either.
    Equipment:

Second outing finds didn't amount to much. My first water coin being a memorial penny, some lead pipe, pipe plug, and a couple fishing lures. Still fun, and can't wait to get out again!

Name:  20160103_174531.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  38.8 KB
    Equipment:

I tried water hunting with fsa46 (Frank) and trust me he makes it look very easy , it was certainly a new adventure for me which i liked and i would be doing it more if i was a bit closer to the shore . So its good to hear your trials and errors but i think your doing just fine and you'll have some gold in your scoop in no time . Best of luck and stay safe !!

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks Dan,
    The vote of confidence is much appreciated! I have watched numerous water detecting videos on youtube and these guys do make it look SO easy! On a sandy bottom and clear water it isn't so bad, but stained deeper water with a fast current, dark rocky bottom and dodging icebergs sure make it challenging!
    Equipment:

Damn that water looks cold. I'm going to save my water adventures for the summer, our family bought kayaks late last season and will put them to good use this year. Good Luck!

Here's a picture of the sifter I use, I wouldn't go in the water without it.

As far as digging the hard pan. I have a spot ( saltwater ) that holds gold but is very difficult to get at , in fact, that is the reason the gold is there because nobody wants to hunt it. I made a 12 gauge, stainless steel scoop with a tooth that I call the " Beast " because it weights 10 lbs., no, that's not a typo.

Below is a picture of the " Beast" before a tooth was added on.

This scoop is based on the Stavr design and is only used at this one place. It has paid big dividends when conditions are right . At 69 it's getting difficult to hunt this place but it couldn't be done without this scoop.

If the place you're talking about has a lot of signals it may be worth the effort. However, if it's as hard as you say, gold may only have made it way to this depth and no further.

Looking forward to your first golden post.
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

Thanks Frank! My scoop is very similar to yours (pre-beast). I don't put much stock in finding much in this river as it's pretty rural and was used mostly for fishing. I do have hopes I can maybe find an old swimming hole here or there maybe, and I have heard there was a point somewhere nearby where the old military road had a fording point. I still have not located it yet though. I think the inland lakes all should have soft bottoms, but many likely have a lot of leafy litter, branches and bottom growth, though I think they must be starting to freeze over at this point. The river above the dam is already about 3 inched thick! So what this means is for the most part I will likely be limited to Lake Michigan for the rest of the winter. But at least it has a nice sandy bottom.
    Equipment:

Hi Digger -- been researching to find a fording point on the river as well. I am going to be getting some waders in the near future. Have a couple areas out my way to explore. Considering the beaches I have done this year, I may not go back given the results.

Regarding the hard gravel etc., I am thinking about getting a pick or something similar. I will probably get an inexpensive one at Home Depot and see how it works. Since I live in the same area as you, I know what you are talking about. Not much in terms of a sandy bottom. Mostly hard or very soft (leafy debris) mud.

Glad you may it back to shore without falling into Lake MI. You decided to do the "Polar Plunge" and just stayed in I bet you got a few looks.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

Glad you may it back to shore without falling into Lake MI. You decided to do the "Polar Plunge" and just stayed in I bet you got a few looks.
    I was there Dec 31st, I stay away from the crazy drunks on New Years day. Last thing I wanted was to have some idiot dunk me and fill my waders-not to mention the possibility of damage to or loss of my machine. I have found some rather obscure beaches I plan to water detect soon. They are not big at all, but I suspect attract a very affluent crowd in summer which I think ups the chances of finding the golden goodies.

As for inland lakes I know I'm too late (early?) as they are now frozen over. The only places are now either the river or the lake. The river is deeper than normal and really fast due to runoff of all the rain and snow lately here and up north. I had not taken that into consideration when I went and was a bit surprised when I arrived. I don't think a pick will do much unless you intend to be completely submerged, so unless you are scuba diving with a dry suit it's going to be really tough. The river had a LOT of big ricks and submerged wood on top of compacted gravel. It's really tough digging anything up, bot I have considered the idea it may best be left for summer when the water level is really low and the bottom is easily accessed with a good shovel. Frank's floating sifter idea would be perfect in that situation.
    Equipment: