Thread: New Permission, New Year, One Keeper

New Permission, New Year, One Keeper

January 3rd – Out at a new permission with my cousin. 110 acres with an abandoned 1830’s house, almost a half mile of frontage along the Hudson River. This place has potential for Rev War activity with its river frontage and high overlooks it is just finding the right spot. My only keeper for the day was a lead sheath (flint pad) with a piece of flint still in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Pretty cool find! Hope to see some more keepers from that area soon, sounds like some great potential. Good luck!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Brian , forgive me I didn't associate your real name on FB with your username here , and therefore didn't recognize you when you posted it there . The flint wrapped in lead is a great find and looks like the dark type of flint the British commonly used . That place sounds like a dream spot to hunt for early French & Indian and Rev. War items you ever want a few of us CT hobbyists to help out , I 'm sure i could find a few volunteers . congrats again Brian

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

That is an awesome relic !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

That's a really cool find! Awesome

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Nice find. I had no idea what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Brian , forgive me I didn't associate your real name on FB with your username here
    Same here. I believe I saw this on the FB group asking what it was and had no idea it was you. Now I'm feeling what it's like for Isaac and the Jim from RI when I messaged them on FB.. but they didn't know it was me apparently. lol.

No problem Dan! and thanks for confirming the ID. I did find it in one of my reference books shortly after your ID but I was pretty sure what it was. I just didn't realize that lead was used as a sheath. I have found other pieced of lead shaped like that without the flint and had no clue what it probably was.

Dan, you and the CT boys are always welcome. I hunt mostly in the the fall due to my daughter's softball schedule but that's been tough lately as she now plays on a travel team that practices 10 months of the year. Anyways hopefully I can put something together this year. I owe CT Todd a hunt as he has invited me down to his area a couple times.

Sounds like you have a winning spot there! I look forward to seeing the finds come out of there!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Really nice find Brian. Looks like you have a great spot there to return to.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Really a great find. Your description of the site has me drooling and can't wait to see what else comes out of there.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album