Thread: Necklace - City lost and found question

Necklace - City lost and found question

I found this on my first hunt after 30 years of not metal detecting. I thought I would share it with everyone. I can assume that others have found similar with buffalo nickels or other coins. It is too bad that the lawn mower must have run it over at one time for it is bent a little and broke the chain it was on (cheap chain anyway)

I was trying to do the "right thing" by asking the local city parks department if they had anyone that lost this item. They told me that they would put it in lost and found and see. Since I recovered this about 3-4" down, I assume it has been at least 15 years or longer since someone lost it. I decided to keep it versus getting lost in the lost and found and eventually being thrown out. I asked if they had a list of items that were lost and they told me to drop it off. Any advice anyone has regarding a topic like this is welcomed. Do any of you do the "right thing" or are we all finder's keepers?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

Something like that you will probably never know who it belong to , but rings or bracelets with personal names dates or other information on them I will make a conscientious effort to try an return it. if it seems like a pretty recent lost item then there might be a good chance too but older finds and there is no identifying marks its finders keepers in my book.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks Dan. If I found something that was inscribed, I would certainly do my best to return it. I remember my dad finding a bracelet that someone lost when she was only 16 (same age as my dad). My dad found it 25 years later and returned it to her. We lived in a small town and it was inscribed. Ended up that it was from an old boyfriend, but the look she had on her face was priceless. I will never forget it.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

I agree with what Dan said. I checked my state's statute on lost items. Here it automatically Is property of the finder. Wedding rings, military id (dog) tags l, or if the pendant had initials might give you a way to find an owner. If there are no marks, it would be nearly impossible to determine an owner. I was able to determine an owner of a camera I found, and an email was forwarded to France. I never heard back. So items like this, there's no real way to return to owner so the "right" thing is to keep it. You are also not in possession of something like a lost bag of cash...

Most definitely finders keepers on something like that like Dan said. Speaking from experience, if you turn it in to the "lost and found" means you just lost it and a city worker just "found" it.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

I agree with del. Without identifying marks on it ,how could you tell anyway who it belonged to. Enjoy it. It's a cool piece

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk