Thread: New years hunts, Not so fruitful cellar holes.

New years hunts, Not so fruitful cellar holes.

I tried to make the most of the time off I had. It was a bit cold, but at least the ground wasn't frozen yet. The OT was calling me.. so on new years eve I took a trip to a close by cellar hole. This is where I found the Bakelite brooch and a few other buttons came up. This time I was at it working more areas where I couldn't swing, or where I didn't touch last time. There was a little snow and ice still left on the ground. Moving the leaves away to dig, my gloves would get wet. Now the dirt under the leaves was normal, but because my gloves were wet from the leaves and snow it turned to mud that caked on the gloves. Ugh was it terrible; I was getting mud all over my shirt and pants every time grabbing the pinpointer. This time I did work the area on the west side of the cellar hole which I knew last time had a lot of iron, but I didn't work it. I got a nice button and an odd piece. Maybe someone can confirm, but it looks like either a cover for a key hole or lock where the toothed end is the pivot point. This morning someone I showed had mentioned it was like a latch for a trunk. It was a few feet from the cellar in this area of saplings. The button was maybe 10 ft away from the cellar and only has a quality back mark of Extra Rich London. The baby spoon I found most of it along the lip of this area. This flat area to the west of the cellar had a slight lip, and then it was all hill. I don't see any defining marks on the spoon. Also, a ways down the hill I found this disc. I am not certain what it is. It rang really low. X. Bazin from Philadelphia was famous for soaps and shaving cream around 1850. Most items online by Xavier Bazin were ceramic containers and a few jars with stamped lids. This item I found would not be a lid as there is a hole in the center. It had to be some sort of decorative piece for a bottle or box or whatnot.
    Name:  Cover Front.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  58.4 KBName:  Lever Cover.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  66.5 KBName:  Plain Button Front.jpg
Size:  70.1 KBName:  Extra Rich button.jpg
Size:  143.7 KBName:  X Bazin PA.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  84.5 KBName:  Baby Spoon.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  78.3 KB

The following day after a slow morning I took Kevin to the same cellar. He's been there before. He was antsy to get out with a day off. Lol. He found a brass ring by these rocks out back. I didn't find much that day, but what was impressive was finding a sliver of a button amongst the iron. All I see are rings, similar to the back of a tombac...but its not a tombac. We then went up the road 7 min to another cellar. He asked for a place that was iron rich to try out the capability of the ATP... Lol. Maybe he didn't want an impossible test. The only worth while thing I dug was on the hill just away from what I believe was the old driveway. Pewter button that is badly eaten away. Still has a shank, tho.
    Name:  Pewter Shank.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  94.2 KBName:  Pewter Front.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  104.2 KBName:  Button Fragment.jpg
Size:  100.7 KB
    Saturday was a later day. I managed to get to the cellar where I found the shoe buckle, welding goggle, canteen, and huge crotal. This time I had a different machine to try amongst the cross century contamination. I did try this field Up on the back hill where, now that the foliage has died down, a rock wall lining a field. There wasn't much in here other than trash left by either hikers or hunters. Last time I was here I found a veteran dog tag, prob dropped by a hunter. Not much luck I went toward the cellar. It still had too much junk targets to hear anything worth while. So I made it to the hill side where the barns and carriage house was cut into the hill side. Its almost tiered. There was only one plateau area where I was hearing some targets. I only scored a wheat cent. It was pretty cruddy but cleaned up well. I checked online, and for the first 22 years the wheat cent was minted, 1915 was the lowes mintage year at 29M. Some will prob semantic here and say the VDB is the lowest mintage..... well I'm talking total mintage per year at that specific mint. Idk... it was the second year od WWI. Two other large targets I'll take a pic of soon. One BVT might like having the Kearny cross. The other is just an odd shape.
    Name:  1915 Wheat.jpg
Size:  96.4 KB
    Sunday I went to the 1798 permission where the medals came from along with the walkers. This time I only came up with one keeper. It was a cuff button ringing just lower than a nickel. Plain front but there was a marking on the back and just a folded shank. Unfortunately I will have to go back sometime and look for it more thoroughly. It was one of the earlier targets. It was cold. I kept putting my hands in the front pouch. Annnnd... that's prob how it was lost again. Apparently it was meant to be lost. The last target I dug I noticed all the targets fell out because one knee was up. I picked everything up, but apparently the button wasn't there. I went back Monday night to try and find it at that spot where items spilled. The ground looked like it was starting to freeze. I didn't have warm clothes on so I couldn't stay long. Ugh. Maybe its on the side of the house were the hitching post was. That was the area I def knew the hands were in the pocket the most. I did get a nice pic of the sunset on the back of the house.
    Now I got new knee pads that are water resistant so hopefully any hunts limited by the freeze will be better.
    Name:  House Sunset.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  87.3 KB

These two items came up from the house. One looks like a new style button but thicker and the back looks pressed with a cylinder. The folded piece idk....looks like it could be slag or could actually be something. Not a normal shape for slag...esp the stuff I found from here before...

Name:  Unknown Front.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  83.8 KBName:  Unknown back.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  126.9 KBName:  Unknown Slag.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  40.7 KBName:  Unknown folded side.jpg
Size:  49.2 KB

Nice little assortment of finds. Always a bonus to find stuff in January! The Bazin lid is definitely the best find of the pics you posted IMO.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Congrats on a variety of finds! I agree with John, the lid is the neatest find!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Good to get out and detect! I had to laugh at the image of your muddy gloves. I have come home with my face caked in mud from wiping it with muddy gloves.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

hey Jim , your digging in the dirt in January your gonna get muddy admit it , it was still nice to be detecting this late in the season .congrats on the interesting items my friend
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Come on, digging in January is great. Sometimes people will ask me why I detect and sometimes my response is "so I can play in the dirt". Feel your pain with the muddy gloves though cause it then spreads to everything.

Some nice finds but I'm in agreement with most here, the Bazin lid is the coolest.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Nice little assortment of finds. Always a bonus to find stuff in January! The Bazin lid is definitely the best find of the pics you posted IMO.
    John
    Here's the pics of the bigger items. The U-shaped piece looks familiar but I can't quite place it. The other item...look.. It has the Kearny cross. As I mentioned.... Prob why you were first to comment I wonder what it was for. Obvi something like a stove or equipment. It was behind the house which didn't have a big footprint at all. Those are the jar lids to show size comparison. The mason lids were other finds. I did spot a cellar across the street at the corner with a hill behind it. Now to check parcel ownership....
    Name:  Big Iron Kearny.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  52.1 KBName:  Big Iron Back.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  69.9 KBName:  Lids and U-shape.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  60.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Congrats on a variety of finds! I agree with John, the lid is the neatest find!
    Thanks, Chris. I wasn't promoting the wheat as the best find. And the fraction of a button was only impressive that it was so small and still recovered near iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Good to get out and detect! I had to laugh at the image of your muddy gloves. I have come home with my face caked in mud from wiping it with muddy gloves.
    Yeah. I have to wash my mask/neck warmer now, too. Ill admit it was still good to detect, but I know for a fact last year Jan 2 I dug an LC. Then Jan 3 it snowed while I was out in the middle of the woods. I think there was one more hunt and getting permissions and then hibernation. Apparently you are just as avid to have it happen to you before as well.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    hey Jim , your digging in the dirt in January your gonna get muddy admit it , it was still nice to be detecting this late in the season .congrats on the interesting items my friend
    Thanks Dan. We detectorists get down and dirty... for real. Yes the ability to get out is nice, but not liking how these cellars be kicking my ace lately. Sure I promoted that I had many spots, but I can't seem to find one that isn't pounded or isn't amassed with trash.

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Come on, digging in January is great. Sometimes people will ask me why I detect and sometimes my response is "so I can play in the dirt". Feel your pain with the muddy gloves though cause it then spreads to everything.
    Some nice finds but I'm in agreement with most here, the Bazin lid is the coolest.
    Yeah.. the gf thinks chores come before getting out to detect. And can't fathom why I'd want to get out often. There are a few girls in the hobby... guess they are the only ones who understand what a hobby means. I do believe the word she used once was 'addict'.
    Prob since I'm not currently in the middle of the woods freezing, having a wet foot and covered with mud, I can say it's not so bad. I've just survived and repressed. I think I forgot to mention I had to wash the gloves twice.
    Thanks, tho, AL. I gotta find a place to keep that 'lid' as it is frail. Some sort of small case.

One day this year I'll be able to get out too! Maybe this weekend Woods aren't frozen yet...right?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    One day this year I'll be able to get out too! Maybe this weekend Woods aren't frozen yet...right?
    Almost. I think it might be there because yesterday there was some digging that was hard to do. The first few inches were frozen with a clad quarter inside.... We'd be lucky to get more than this coming weekend as the last hoorah.