Thread: REALE-ly great start to 2016!!

REALE-ly great start to 2016!!

Saturday January 2nd I headed up to Northern RI to hit some cellar holes with Jarrod. There wasn't any snow on the ground for most of the ride up but by the time we got to the town we were detecting in, the ground was mostly fully snow covered. Good news was it was only a coating of snow and the ground was soft as butter underneath. I took Jarrod to two sites the first being a total dud, we left there after not digging any targets at all for the first 20 minutes cause he didn't have all morning to detect. The 2nd site was (slightly) more kind to us. After digging a square nail I got a very surprising obvious high tone about 10 feet in front of the cellar hole. I knew it had to be something good. Sure enough it was. Copper number 1 for the year! It's a draped bust. Date is unknown due to corrosion but it's still a nice find. I didn't find anything else there other than shot gun shells. Jarrod got a fatty Indian, and a thimble. So that was Saturday. Sunday I headed up with my dad to try and help a buddy of his find an arrow he shot while deer hunting. We didn't find it so it must have hit the deer (he could never recover the deer). While there I detected around an area used for a long time as a picnic area and scored some clad and a nice skeleton key. Monday I headed out to hit some cellar holes in the snow. I didn't stay long cause the snow got a little heavier then expected. Got a double gilt flat button, a tombac and some other odds and ends. Tuesday was freezing cold but I decided to go out anyway cause I wanna get as much detectin done before school starts up again and before the full wrath of winter begins. I hiked my butt off trudging through snow (well 0.5 inches of snow), crossing swamps, and bush wacking through mountain laurel only to find completely pounded sites. When I got back in the car I was surprised to clock only read 11:00 am. So I got some lunch and at the last second decided to go to a spot I kept putting off in the past. After a 10 minute walk in the woods I was at the site. Nice old colonial center chimney foundation. I had been there before in the summertime but was only scouting to see if there was actually a cellar hole there and didn't have my detector with me. This time I came prepared. First target was a dandy button on the side of the hole and this got me thinking maybe the site was never hit before. Wrong! Site looks to have been hit pretty good not a lot of targets but probably hit a while ago as well. I dug a thimble and a tombac. After a little while I was saying "just get me a high tone so I can get out of here cause I have some things to do". All of a sudden I get a extremly high conductive signal ringing up in the high 80's and jumping all the way up to 99 and even reading iron number 00. I debated digging it but it was consistent from all sides so I said what the heck. I'm glad I dug it. I dig the plug and dig down and get the pinpointer out. I scan and here it beep and see something shiny in the dirt pile. I pick it up and start jumping up and down pumping my arms and screaming in my head. It's a reale!!!!!!! The coin I've been wanting to find for so long!!!! What a way to start 2016. It's an 1802 1 reale very worn but I don't care one bit. I had to go after hat but I will be back there! Happy new year everyone m!
    Attached Images Attached Images               
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

WTG on getting that reale. I would love to find some Spanish silver larger than a 1/2 reale. Huge congrats to you.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Nice finds and good story!Only problem is I'am getting dizzy standing on my head to look at your pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipe101 View Post
    Nice finds and good story!Only problem is I'am getting dizzy standing on my head to look at your pictures.
    Thanks! Lol I usually know how to take them with my phone so they don't come out upside down but sometimes I screw up. At least most of them came out alright.
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Congrats on the great finds. Always wanted to find a skeleton key, and yours looks to be a very early one. That Reale is really sweet-congrats!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Great start for sure! Copper, silver, relics.....Great hunt
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Way to start 2016!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Now that's how to start a year! Great job!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

That's the good stuff.
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com