Thread: Looking For Colonial Copper ID Instruction

Question Looking For Colonial Copper ID Instruction

Hey all as I've been doing this for over 5 years now I've built up quite a collection of CT, NJ's, Regal Coppers as well as Counterfeits.

I picked up a very interesting book http://www.amazon.com/Whitman-Encycl.../dp/0794825419 by Bowers, Q. David.

It's a very informative book but I'd really like to sit down with someone face to face to learn the finer points on how to ID my coppers. The 1787 Series of CT's are the hardest ones to ID as there are so many versions, although CT's in have most versions of all the State issued coppers.

Anyone know someone in CT in the New Haven / Fairfield County area well versed in this area?

Thanks in advance,
    Roger
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

The Whitman Encyclopedia is a great reference Roger , for the most part Ct. coppers are not too bad to id but a few can be very tough especially if the coin is dirty or very worn . When id'ing these your usually dealing with subtleties and matching up key areas while also noting any oddities that may help or make the coin stand out . I am certainly no expert but maybe we can set up a "winter meeting" with a bunch of us Connecticut hobbyist when the snow is piled high , bring some finds to share , "talk shop" . Could be a lot of fun !!

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I received that book from Santa!! I'd love to bring my CT coppers to a meeting!! A great idea!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Hey this is a great idea! We could have a club meeting at a local library on a Sat as most have a conference room available. Would love to get out for a bit and talk shop when I couldn't get out and dig.

I've really learned a LOT from that book in the last few days, but man all of the details that you have to try to match up for the 87's are mind boggling especially looking under a loupe at a worn copper. Kills my eyes, LOL.

I learned that 2 mints existed in New Haven, 1 at the foot of West Rock & 1 near Morris Cove. I always wondered if any one ever tected the Machin Mill in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    The Whitman Encyclopedia is a great reference Roger , for the most part Ct. coppers are not too bad to id but a few can be very tough especially if the coin is dirty or very worn . When id'ing these your usually dealing with subtleties and matching up key areas while also noting any oddities that may help or make the coin stand out . I am certainly no expert but maybe we can set up a "winter meeting" with a bunch of us Connecticut hobbyist when the snow is piled high , bring some finds to share , "talk shop" . Could be a lot of fun !!

Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    I received that book from Santa!! I'd love to bring my CT coppers to a meeting!! A great idea!
    Cob.

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post

I always wondered if any one ever tected the Machin Mill in NY.

Wonder no more, the answer is yes. You might be surprised to know it was quite recently too. You might also be surprised to know nothing really turned up, but when you think about it, a mint is probably the last place there would be dropped coins.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch View Post
    Wonder no more, the answer is yes. You might be surprised to know it was quite recently too. You might also be surprised to know nothing really turned up, but when you think about it, a mint is probably the last place there would be dropped coins.
    Very interesting IP. I do suspect that with that many coins/ planchets there a few might turn up, but I wouldn't be surprised that it was hit back in the late 60's - early 70's.
    Cob.

My Album

I would be interested in a copper meeting
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CTTodd View Post
    I would be interested in a copper meeting
    I spoke with HEAVYMEATLNUT and Thiltzy and they are in agreement on setting up a meeting/ get together once after the weather turns bad for detecting . how about a weekend day in February , what works for everyone ??

Works for me!
    Cob.

My Album

I also got myself that book with my amazon gift card. The read has been fascinating so far but still having a tough time figuring out where to start when trying to identify. I probably would not be able to attend a weekend meeting but if someone could possibly video this meeting and then youtube it.......just a thought.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

now that we have more snow lets plan something for either next Saturday the 13TH or the following days 20th, 27th of this month . and meet somewhere in the middle of the state either Hartford or Wethersfield area so no one in Ct has to travel too far.

Dan

Yes l have it too...why I like these coins...not that I have any... I would love to sit in on such a meeting but too far away to be practical for me. I may never find one but I still am interested in such important pieces of American History! Maybe Todd could make a video of some of the highlights of the meeting showing some coins being identified and how to use the available reference works. Thanks all you guys are awesome!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Well it sure seems winter finally arrived on Friday, just when I had plans to get together with Frank today. Next Sat seems pretty good. Keep me posted on the when & where.
    Cob.

My Album

I'm glad to meet but I do work Saturdays.
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    Well it sure seems winter finally arrived on Friday, just when I had plans to get together with Frank today. Next Sat seems pretty good. Keep me posted on the when & where.
    How about the following weekend Roger , were expecting more snow almost all this week .It will give a little better notice for everyone . February 21st

Quote Originally Posted by CTTodd View Post
    I'm glad to meet but I do work Saturdays.
    Ok Big guy , we'll make it that Sunday the 21st !! but we expect some sort of presentation from the "Treasure Hunter of 2016"

Awesome. Will stay tuned for more info on the 21st.
    Cob.

My Album