Thread: A Story Of Two Half's!

A Story Of Two Half's!

Detecting is such a fascinating hobby because every time we go out we discover a new world! Like the explorers of old we have anticipation and sometimes expectations but what we will encounter we cannot fully imagine.
    Last December 2014 I had an opportunity to get out due to a break in the weather so not having a lot of time I decided to go to a field that has been good to us in the previous months. Well when I say good to us I am primarily talking about my wife Diane since she made some great finds in this field, two Large Cents, nice buttons and her very first Two Cent Piece! The only thing of note that I had dug here was a Large Cent and a nice suspender buckle. This day I wasn’t finding much just a couple of flat buttons when I got a decent signal and I dug a very nice Benedict and Burnham button that had a lot of gilt on it then followed a couple of suspender buckles. So I was happy and just before leaving I dug what at first sight I thought might be another piece of a pocket watch. There was a piece broken on it and I thought that was where the balance wheel must have been located. I put it in my pouch and in just a bit after I left to return home. When I got home Diane asked me if I had done any good I told her yes a few things and I showed her what it was that I had found. I looked at the “watch” piece to see if I could find any makers mark on it but to my surprise I seemed to be able to see some sort of image…an image that faintly resembled a bust facing left. Turning it over and cleaning the other side I thought I could see an Eagle…what could this be. I dried it and applied just a dab of olive oil and the images seemed even more pronounced. I took some close up pictures of it and I sent them to my friend Dave Wise who has been an excellent resource in identifying things for me. It took him about 15 minutes and he came back with the answer, a Counterfeit Capped Bust Half Dollar! After looking at it closer and comparing it to pictures of a real Bust Half I could see he was correct! I was excited of course to find such an obscure and unusual find but I must admit thinking if only it would have been real! My thoughts ran to the past wondering if the person that lost this knew it was a Counterfeit and how in the world did it end up in a field in Ohio? I deduced the spot which was broken may have been where a hole had been and perhaps they used it as a necklace piece or perhaps on a watch chain as a curiosity. I am sure we will never know. I sent pictures to the Contemporary Capped Bust Half Dollar Club…and yes there is a club dedicated to collecting these coins! The return e-mail had some exciting news:

Tony, I love a challenge and did a bit more research on you contemporary counterfeit Capped Bust Half based upon the attributes of the partial facial profile of Liberty on the obverse and the eagle's elongated neck plus alignment of the slogan bar to the letter M of the edge's legend on the reverse. There is likelihood that it could be known as an 1834 17/Q variety (i.e. rare with only two specimens currently known)! Look at the website location at http://cccbhcc.com/2nd-edition-error...tml#1834%2017Q

Name:  CF01.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  18.4 KBName:  CF02.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  21.6 KB

Indeed looking at the “coin” I found and comparing it to the one in the link I could see the points that were mentioned. While I must admit I was pleased with finding such a scarce item my heart could only wish to have a real one too.

In October 2015 I was invited by my friend Bill Clark to come up and visit him and to come and hunt a field that was a new permission for him. The previous day he had a fantastic day at this site and he was more than generous to share it with us. We went out with him and I quickly found an Indian Head and just a bit later another one. Diane then called out and we came over to see the 1859-O Seated Liberty Dime she had just dug. It slowed down a bit after that with some buttons and suspender buckles being dug. Bill had gotten two Indian Heads and Diane had one also. I picked up my third one and then in a bit I got a fourth one which I left in the clump to reveal it later as we were just about done for the day. I thought that would be a fun way to end the day…but I did not realize the fun was just starting, amidst a corn row I got a very bouncy signal 12-33 jumping to 12-42 and an occasional flash of a higher conductive number…but ahh the sound the CTX was singing in my ear was much better than those numbers. I could hear some iron and that sweet tone too and I had hopes. Now we have all been there a promising signal and a target that does not live up to that sound. But we dig with hope and anticipation. The target was shallow and when I uncovered it my heart did a jump, I kneeled down to take a closer look and was I happy…you betcha!!

Name:  CB Side.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  39.6 KB

A beautiful 1825 Capped Bust Half Dollar! My heart’s wish was answered. What an amazing thing to happen, not only the Counterfeit Half now a real one as well.
    Only in dreams do such things seem to happen! This one is an R-3 rarity and variety known as O-106.

Here they are side by side

Name:  Real Counter 01 a.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  79.8 KBName:  Real Counter 02.JPG
Views: 132
Size:  69.0 KB
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Two awesome and rare pcs of history there! Reading these kinds of posts will keep me warm all winter long!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Tony , what a great story of the two amazing coins !! Thank you very much for taking the time to write up such a nice piece to share with us .

And again congrats on two scarce pieces of history .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Woweee!! Great Story Tony!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Nice digs and cool story!