Thread: D2 and the DFX

Hybrid View

Candidate Member

D2 and the DFX

I bought my DFX new about 12 years ago. I think it's a great machine and I've found thousands of coins with it, including hundreds of silver coins. I have always used the stock 950 coil on it, and coinshooting is my main goal.......deeper, older coins preferably. My question is......Will I gain anything by buying the D2? I've read it may be a little unstable to some DFX users. Is it worth my time and expense to invest in this coil? Or another coil? Thoughts?

Hello Elmtree3 , welcome to the forum . you've had your DFX roughly as long as I mine . i prefer a double D coil over the standard one for a few reasons .

its a much better coil in the trash (you can isolate some targets in the trash better and hear just them) and mineralized ground .
    I personally believe it hits harder on the deeper almost on the cusp "iffy" targets that the concentric one tells you its "garbage" .

the drawbacks to the coils ....
    they take a little getting use to find the "sweet spot" on the coil, to pin point where the target is under the coil.
    this is especially true when finding small iron like a bent nail which can sound pretty good depending how least amount of discrimination you set.

Now i have never used the D2 coil but i have many close friends who do (on v3i's , mxt's and on dfx"s) and they have all gone through a couple of coils each. Which is the reason i never gotten one , i settled for the detech SEF 10x12 "butterfly" . I can't complain about it , its has great coverage , is deep and has very good separation for its size but if I decide to get a second coil it would be the detech 6x8 "butterfly" for those trashier spots .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Candidate Member
    I frequented the DFXOnly site quite often back in the day. We have a 9 year old boy which really cut in to my detecting time, plus bought a hobby farm and started 2 huge gardens. Bought my boy an ACE 250 last year, and he loves detecting, so I'm expecting to get out alot more now. Just looking for a little bit extra from my DFX, not that I'm at all disappointed with it's performance, just trying for a little "extra"
    Thanks, Jeff
    Last edited by elmtree3; 02-02-2016 at 05:58 PM.

Hey Jeff , I remember and was a regular over at DFXOnly years and years ago . Good luck and have fun with your son .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Candidate Member
    Anyone else want to chime in or throw in their 2¢?

OK, here my two pennies...... I prefer the 10"DD over the 9" stock coil. It will give you a bit more depth in clean ground and will seem even deeper in iron/trashy sites due to the DD type of sensitivity pattern. You will find more iron masked targets with the D2. I never found the D2 to be unstable. Good all around coil.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Candidate Member
    Thanks Lodge Scent, I will definitely take your comment into consideration when I make my decision.
    Jeff

The 10 DD is my favorite coil whether on the DFX or MXT line. It hits harder and separates better than the stock concentric coil. When I am field hunting or yard hunting it is usually my go to coil.

Not much I can add. I got my DD along with the V3i as stock. Glad I did. In my opinion it is much better in a trashy environment. The separation of signals is superb.
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter

Candidate Member
    Ok, thanks guys! Still haven't purchased a new coil for my DFX, and didn't get out as much as I planned. But I do have time to add it to my Christmas list!