Thread: Starting out and need help. Which would you choose?

Starting out and need help. Which would you choose?

I'm looking to buy my first detector at under $200. I am only 5' and need something I can handle. I want a good warrenty as well. Which would you choose? Is there something better you would suggest?

Bounty Hunter QD2GWP Quick Draw II Metal Detector with Pin Pointer and Carry Bag
    Price: $162.22
    Free Shipping for Prime Members

Bounty Hunter TIMERANGER Time Ranger Metal Detector
    Price: $175.23

Bounty Hunter SS2 Sharpshooter II Metal Detector
    Price: $174.01

Garrett Ace 250 Metal Detector Discovery Pack with 6.5x9" Coil, Coil Cover, Headphones, Rain Cover
    Price: $212.45

Well first off ... Hello Kristal and welcome to the forum . I personally think any one of them are solid choices but if I had to choose just one , I'd probably go with the Garret . they are very easy to use and most people swear by them as a great starter machine and often keep them as a back up machine when they go to upgrade.

what got you in the hobby ??

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Welcome to the forum Kristal. When I first read your post I thought you were saying you are only 5 years old! Then I re-read it and saw it was 5 feet! LOL. My first detector was a Garrett so I am partial to them as starters. It really doesn't matter what you buy because within a year you will be trying to figure out how to get an e-trac! (assuming you get the treasure bug that is). Best wishes and HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Thanks guys and lol at thinking I meant 5 years old.

I have nothing in the hobby yet. I used to go with my dad when I was a child. There is an abandoned amusment park close by I want to poke around in that was called tombstone junction and old homesteads in the area.

The reviews I have read and every owner of the Garrett say good things about it. Can't say the same for the others. I work with someone who has 2 bounty hunters he now keeps in the back of his truck with other toys for his grandkids to play with if that's any indication.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

hello from ky welcome I just bought ace 250 by garrett and she loves it is easy to use and light it run almost equal with my minelab 305 it is a very good starter machine
    minelab x-terra 305&705

MD-2500 Underground Metal Detector for Learners
    price: USD$117.66 with free shipping.
    Pros: Three different voice reminder (for different metals);
    Gauge can show different metals;
    Automatic sensitivity adjustment;
    Horizon adjustment
    Cons: less convenient nighttime detection
    Last edited by OxShoeDrew; 03-09-2016 at 04:54 AM.

Garrett Ace 150. Tough, easy to use, finds it all. We waterproofed ours and after 3 years , we just went up to the 250. I have been md for years and Garrett is the best as far as we are concerned. Start simple or you will become very frustrated and quit. You only need to upgrade when you really know what you are doing and really know what you want or need. Persistance is the key in this hobby, you must be a bulldog about it. But what fun and rewards you get.

A buddy of mine just starting first bought a Bounty hunter for under $100, then quickly ugraded to the Bounty hunter Quick Draw Pro. I'm impressed with it for $205(Walmarts). It's not as boxy as the other Bounty Hunters I'm used to, has three audio tones and has pinpoint built in. It is adjustable in length also.

It sounds good in customer reviews compared against the Fisher F2 which has been discontinued. I recommend looking at that machine in your situation.