Thread: Fellow detectorists of Rhode Island

Fellow detectorists of Rhode Island

I've been detecting at cellar holes since around the end of 2013 and I still have yet to ever see another detectorist (who I wasn't hunting with) in the woods at the same time or even see one putting his gear away on the side of the road. Of course the signs are always there, holes not filled in, iron piles, even a leftover root cutter and sometimes even water bottles. I know a lot of other people detect in RI and it's just strange I've never bumped into another detectorist other than at a park. It's weird cause I've seen other detectorists twice while detecting in CT. Just wondering how often everyone else sees other detectorists in the woods
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Hardly ever happens to me Jim..actually I can't recall a single time ever meeting a Detectorist in the woods...or anywhere. Conversely, I've gone into the woods with detectorists and lost them, returning alone hey...how'd you make out in this storm? We got nailed...9in heavy snow, no power. I'm sitting next to my fireplace typing on my phone.
    Last edited by OxShoeDrew; 02-05-2016 at 08:38 PM.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I've not ever seen other detectorist anywhere I've been. When I first started detecting, I thought I wanted others to enjoy the hobby with me. Now that I've been doing it for a little while, I am actually glad there aren't many of us around my area. Kind of keeps it safely secret. I would be concerned that careless, less-than-ethical users could destroy the public freedoms.

I used to only see folks detecting in fields when I'd be driving somewhere, but in the last year or so I have run into detectorists a few times out in the woods at cellar holes. Actually I should say I observed detectorists out in the woods at cellar holes. They had no idea they were being observed.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    I used to only see folks detecting in fields when I'd be driving somewhere, but in the last year or so I have run into detectorists a few times out in the woods at cellar holes. Actually I should say I observed detectorists out in the woods at cellar holes. They had no idea they were being observed.
    so tell us Jeff what odd behavior did you notice in your observations ?? any common "bad techniques" to pass on?? or maybe really bad "happy dances" you video taped??
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Hardly ever happens to me Jim..actually I can't recall a single time ever meeting a Detectorist in the woods...or anywhere. Conversely, I've gone into the woods with detectorists and lost them, returning alone hey...how'd you make out in this storm? We got nailed...9in heavy snow, no power. I'm sitting next to my fireplace typing on my phone.
    Well today I went on a scouting mission to find two cellar holes pretty deep in some woods. I found them all right but should have brought my detector with me. Much less snow than I thought there would be in those woods, only 3 inches or so.
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Quote Originally Posted by RIdirtdigger View Post
    Well today I went on a scouting mission to find two cellar holes pretty deep in some woods. I found them all right but should have brought my detector with me. Much less snow than I thought there would be in those woods, only 3 inches or so.
    I don't think I could go for a walk in the woods (or anywhere else, for that matter), without my detector

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    so tell us Jeff what odd behavior did you notice in your observations ?? any common "bad techniques" to pass on?? or maybe really bad "happy dances" you video taped??
    No video unfortunately No bad happy dances....actually no happy dances for them.....these were pounded sites (by me) that I went back and re-pounded with my Deus. Bad technique...yes. One guy was swinging his coil like it was a sickle. What I have noticed is that some people just can't shut up! YAK YAK YAK......and loud too. I can see giving a yell when you find something good, but carrying on a half shouted conversation for 30 minutes is silly. I think some folks are just uncomfortable being in the woods and feel the need to make noise. Maybe they should be uncomfortable with people like me skulking about and spying on them Some folks are hardly aware of their surroundings either. Last year I saw two guys coming down a trail with their detectors. I basically just stepped about 10 feet off the trail and stood still. Never even saw me. If I had been a real creep they might have been in trouble
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Maybe they should be uncomfortable with people like me skulking about and spying on them Some folks are hardly aware of their surroundings either. Last year I saw two guys coming down a trail with their detectors. I basically just stepped about 10 feet off the trail and stood still. Never even saw me. If I had been a real creep they might have been in trouble
    Uh!! I so know what you mean Jeff , I see people hiking or jogging and mountain biking and they seem to see nothing but a few feet in front of themselves . I was so close to a hiker (head phones on and head down not a care in the world) one time I could of reached out and grabbed the person and scared the out of them enough to damage them mentally forever . then there are the smart ones who bring their dogs and those animals usually sense or smell you before you know their around , I've had a few scare the "blank" out of me , just glad they are friendly!!
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album