Thread: Shrink Wrap Screen Protector

Shrink Wrap Screen Protector

I was cruising around YouTube. Going through some of the people I subscribe to, older videos. This cabin fever has me getting my metal detecting fix via YouTube!
    One really caught my attention. It's by a fella that goes by "MOWERDOG". He makes a inexpensive, homemade screen protector out of a shrink wrap bag! It seemed so simple, easy, and inexpensive, I had to try it! So I did! And it was just as simple as it looked!

I have to share!
    First you need the shrink wrap bags. I found some online, 25 for $3.00. The shipping cost more than the bags did! They're a 8x12 PVC shrink wrap bag. Make sure you get PVC bags , DO NOT get POS bags.
    Once you have your bags all you'll need is a pair of scissors, some clear packing tape, and use of a heat gun.

https://youtu.be/QnKz-fu4eTM

(This description is on a Minelab ETrac. Application will be a little different on different machines.)
    Step 1. Cut a bag about 8 inches long.
    Step 2. Slide the bag over the screen. Pull it on as far as it will go.
    Step 3. Flip the detector over, pull the two sides of the bag together. (They should touch or even overlap a little.) Now tape the two edges together.
    Step 4. Flip the detector back over. Make sure the bag is lined up evenly side to side. (Any excess material below the screen can be slid up towards the screen.)
    Step 5. Use the heat gun to shrink the bag around the unit!

The heat gun I used only had a high and a low setting. I did one on high and one on low. High seemed to work better. But you can melt a hole through it pretty easily on high if you consintrate the heat in one place for too long. If you like to change out coils often and some of the bag covers the cam lock, all you have to do is trim off the piece of the bag that's covering the lever.

Really easy! And looks good.
    GL & HH!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Great idea. I have lots of the window shrink wrap stuff. Might have to experiment with that.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Gee that sounds like a brilliant idea! There is always a few times each year that I get caught in the rain or mist and I have to call it a day not because I do not want to get wet but because I do not want to ruin my machine.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Great idea. I have lots of the window shrink wrap stuff. Might have to experiment with that.
    Yeah! That might work. Let us know how it turns out if you give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    Gee that sounds like a brilliant idea! There is always a few times each year that I get caught in the rain or mist and I have to call it a day not because I do not want to get wet but because I do not want to ruin my machine.
    Me too. But me, being a little stubborn (ok, addicted ) have rolled the dice a few times out in the rain with my machine. Each time I knew I was asking for trouble. So when I seen this I figured I'd give this a try.
    Hopefully it'll turn out to be cheep insurance.

I think i'm just going to throw a box of saran wrap in my trunk for all those rainy days . I don't have a heat gun.

Very cool idea though
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    I think i'm just going to throw a box of saran wrap in my trunk for all those rainy days . I don't have a heat gun.

Very cool idea though
    I don't have a heat gun either. I borrowed a friends. I told him if I could use his, I'd wrap his ETrac at the same time.

Have you searched online for industrial shrink wrap? I'm thinking there might be a place to get specific sizes, like shrink tubing but in bag form.

...Also, I figured how to make my backpack last longer per the convo when you were up this way. I just put one of those plastic cereal containers. It feels bulky only when you have to place something inside and twist to take it off one shoulder. Umm... and the new backpack I used I don't like the shoulder straps on. I was given 3 or 4 spare backpacks and I bought a military style one. I think the latter one might be better for hiking.

hey this sounds like a cool idea !! Where are the pictures , remember it didn't happen if there are no pictures !!

"Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

thanks for your share.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    hey this sounds like a cool idea !! Where are the pictures , remember it didn't happen if there are no pictures !!

Here's some pictures of my version Del.
    Let me tell you... it does take time and patience to accomplish though.

Here's what's needed:
    ** one Zagg iPad mini screen protector
    ** 8" x 12" heat shrink bags (the smaller the MILS number of the bag thickness... the better)
    ** Painter's tape
    ** foam double stick tape
    ** desiccant pack(s)
    ** razor knife
    ** heat gun or possibly, a good hair dryer.
    ** good scissors
    ** glue stick
    ** clear tape (packaging or Scotch type)

First... I made a Screen Protector out of the Zagg Ipad mini sized screen protector. I did this using the plastic, temporary factory applied screen protector that comes on your new E-Trac.

I applied some glue stick glue to the factory screen protector and secured it on top of the Zagg screen protector.

2) Then I used some quick drying spray paint and painted the Zagg Screen Protector lightly, over and around, the over-laid Factory Screen Protector. As soon as the paint is dry to the touch, I separated the Factory cover from the Zagg Cover. Now, just cut out the pattern and you've now made a durable custom Zagg Screen Protector. Carefully apply your newly made Screen Protector.

3) Apply Painters Tape to the E-Trac's housing around the edges of the screen as shown.

4) Apply one continuous strip of Double-Stick Tape on top of the Painter's Tape encircling the E-Trac's Face Plate, rounding it over the edges to where it's almost touching the screen. Leave the backing of the Double-Stick Tape on.

5) Cut a Heat Shrink Bag so that it, when pulled over the top of the E-Trac's head unit, it extends about 1 and 3/4 inches beyond the bottom of the screen when pulled over it.

6) Now secure the Desiccant pack(s) as shown with Painter's Tape.

7) Now the tricky part... remove the one continuous piece of backing from the Double-Stick Tape and remove and re-apply it a few times. Leave the backing on as the final step at this time... You'll understand why shortly.

8) Now that the grip on the backing of the Double-Stick Tape has been weakened, with the backing still in place, slide the Heat Shrink Bag over the Control Head of the E-Trac, using needle nose pliers, slip the pliers under the Face Plate and start to remove the backing from the Double-Stick Tape and bond the Heat Shrink Bag to it (as tightly fitted as possible). This is gonna take a few tries... be patient.

9) Now use Packaging/Scotch Tape on the bottom of the Heat Shrink Bag to enclose the control head.

10) Now, carefully use a heat gun to shrink the bag tightly over the E-Trac. Start far away and work the heat gun closer while constantly moving it.

11) Once the bag has shrunk to your satisfaction, take your Razor knife and very carefully cut the heat shrunk bag away from your E-Trac's display screen/buttons carefully following the raised edges of around the display. You can re-inforce any parts of the Heat Shrunk bag with clear packaging tape to give it some real durability.

It's a long process... but I try to protect my Detectors as much as possible. I did both mine and my wife's E-Trac this way. The only difference is, is that on my better half's machine... I allowed access to the E-Trac X-CHANGE port. The cover is really not that obvious or ugly in real life: Name:  20160918_114727_resized.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  54.3 KBName:  IMG_0149.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  59.7 KBName:  20160918_114949_resized.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  45.7 KBName:  IMG_0154.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  62.7 KBName:  20160918_115053_resized.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  46.9 KBName:  20160918_115124_resized.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  46.0 KBName:  E-Trac (Fil's) shrink wrappped (bottom).jpg
Views: 653
Size:  50.2 KBName:  IMG_0152.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  73.2 KB
    Last edited by gdzag; 09-18-2016 at 05:29 PM.

Candidate Member
    I just ordered some bags to cover my Safari,
    might as well keep it pretty;-)
    Thanks BD

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar
    Good idea but this bouy will stick to the glad garbage bags for those "nasty" conditions that one hunts in. Best of the season!
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

My home made waterproof cover for my GPX at a Civil War site. LOL! Name:  bag.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  118.5 KB
    XP Deus