Thread: Something odd and rare...A pocket bank circa 1905!

Something odd and rare...A pocket bank circa 1905!

Thought it was a dirty old can because it behaved the same way.
    Big, loud, pretty deep but the square shape got me curious so I started to rub on it before I threw it in my trash bag and I saw writing etched into in a strange, art nouveau old style font.
    After cleaning it I find a thick flattened little box looking thing that is not an old can but something called a pocket bank.
    Thick brass and chrome plated and mine still has most of the chrome.
    No treasure trove of coins in this thing but in this case this is the treasure.
    Evidently a popular promotional device bought by banks and handed out to use to get more business.
    Fill it up with coins, take it to the bank and the teller would use a small flat screwdriver like tool to spring the top open and then empty the money to be deposited in your account.
    If I was a kid I would have loved to have owned one of these and would have carried it around everywhere...in my pocket.
    Mine is missing the slotted top and the metal plate inserted into the square indented space that had the bank info and owners account number imprinted on it.

I found two others on eBay that are complete, pics below, and one was from Wisconsin while the other was from another bank in Illinois.
    Add to this I assume mine came from a bank here in Birmingham so I suspect these might have been popular nationwide.

The best thing was the info I found doing research.
    Could not find a thing on the web about the Safety Pocket Bank Co out of Chicago until I came across a link to an advertisement in an old financial newspaper used by bankers and high finance types...The United States Investor.

That ad is posted below, notice the date...October 21 1905!
    Mine is slightly different than the picture in the ad but still says pats pend on it so I guess they slightly improved this design at about that same time or soon after.

Just a little beat up twisted piece of metal but so cool it rates a special place in my collection of oddities.

Check out those dirty trash finds a little closer in the field when you come across them...you might just be surprised on what you have found.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by DIGGER27; 03-11-2016 at 08:57 AM.
    Vaq/F2/Compadre/Judge 2/F70-2015 finds a bunch of silver jewelry, several silver coins and 3 gold rings!

Hey that is pretty cool! It would of cool to hear a clanking of silvers in it but that is still a neat find.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Elite Member
    Great find, I think I saw something similar on one of the shows on TV. I think it was Pawn Stars. Unique find. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Very cool piece! Congrats on finding that bit of American history.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Love those unique finds. Nice!

Very nice piece of history!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Really cool find! Would have liked to have one when I was a kid

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk