Thread: Big Spanish Silver!

Big Spanish Silver!

March 20, 2016 – A last second decision to change field locations turns out one of my best finds ever. I have permission for 60 acres of fields that have turned up a mix of Rev War through 19th century finds. It’s a place you can walk for 20 minutes and not get a signal but once you stumble upon a “hot spot” there is potential for taking home several buttons, coppers, or maybe a silver coin. After years of detecting this property the hot spots are becoming cold and new ones are much scarcer. I decided to head down to a section of the field that I haven’t been to in quite a while. I was heading towards the spot where I had found a pewter 60 Regiment button four-five years ago. About 50 yards away from where I was heading the 3030 started grunting. I found an iron patch, a few steps later a nice solid 12-36 turned up a nice sized tombac looking button. I started an informal grid and a few steps later had another solid signal. This one was a 12-45, almost too good to be true. I popped a plug and about 5” down looked to be a very large button. It was caked in clay soil and I could see a hole in the center so I figured it was from missing shank. I then saw silver on the edge and it made me think it was a silver plated button maybe a british officer button. So I put it in my container and would wait until I got home to clean it up. In the same area I also found a pewter cuff button and then walking away found a musket ball that still had the pour mark on it. The hunt for me had to be cut short so I could take my daughter to softball practice. Back at the truck my cousin was convinced it wasn’t a button but neither of us could imagine what it really was until I got home and cleaned it up. Once the mud was removed I knew what I had! 1768 Silver Spanish 8 Real!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

What a great coin Brian that is a perfect time period piece for Rev. War , with all the activity and iron you may have found a camp or skirmish site . I could see skirmish more likely as loosing a coin as that would be hard to do unless under duress of battle . Mega congrats Brian
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Congrats on a great coin Brian. Love it!!!

That 8 Reales is incredible!

What an amazing piece of history! I wouldn't be surprised is Dan is correct about it being lost in a skirmish. If only that coin could talk!

Congrats on the spectacular find! I would be pounding that area hard!

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Love it! Big congrats!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

That is amazing! I wonder why the hole in the center....it would make an expensive washer. Congratulations on a special find!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Wonderful find. What a great big old piece of Spanish silver!
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Big ?? You mean a HUGE Spanish silver
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Fantastic find Brian, and a full 8 Reales to boot! So nice to have that much detail on the coin as well. Boy, those fields just keep on giving don't they? Congrats.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Awesome find on the huge silver, congrats!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    What a great coin Brian that is a perfect time period piece for Rev. War , with all the activity and iron you may have found a camp or skirmish site . I could see skirmish more likely as loosing a coin as that would be hard to do unless under duress of battle . Mega congrats Brian
    Thanks Dan! Its right between two occupied areas, British to the east and Morgan to the west. I'm going to start digging all the iron in this spot to get a better idea. I'm almost thinking a small camp but I'm sure many musket volleys crossed this field.

Quote Originally Posted by 10X View Post
    Congrats on a great coin Brian. Love it!!!
    Thanks Earle!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    That 8 Reales is incredible!

What an amazing piece of history! I wouldn't be surprised is Dan is correct about it being lost in a skirmish. If only that coin could talk!

Congrats on the spectacular find! I would be pounding that area hard!

Thanks Tony! my cousin went right back up after I called him. Not sure if he found anything else but I'm sure I'll be back there soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    Love it! Big congrats!
    Thanks Buck!

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    That is amazing! I wonder why the hole in the center....it would make an expensive washer. Congratulations on a special find!
    My first thought was a washer, then a button. Never thought it was a big piece of spanish silver

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Big ?? You mean a HUGE Spanish silver
    It sure is! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RIdirtdigger View Post
    Wonderful find. What a great big old piece of Spanish silver!
    Thanks RIDD!

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Fantastic find Brian, and a full 8 Reales to boot! So nice to have that much detail on the coin as well. Boy, those fields just keep on giving don't they? Congrats.

John
    Thanks John. We had kind of put that property in reserve that last couple of years. Its close by so works good for a quick hunt. I'm glad we went there. Kind of like it has new life.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipe101 View Post
    Congrats on a great find
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Awesome find on the huge silver, congrats!
    Thanks DO'D!

Blog Entries
    Nice coin. Congrats.

amazing chunk of silver & of early American history
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Guess I didn't get into this before. That's a pretty sweet silver, Brian.

Now thats an amazing find. Beautiful Coin.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos