Thread: Road Trip Up North-Day 3 (ka-ching!)

Road Trip Up North-Day 3 (ka-ching!)

Hello again Diggers,
    Day 3 of my road trip was an amazing day! Forget about the 1 wheat cent I found the day before. The day started off very cold and windy. Dressing in layers was key to surviving the day! I met Don and Alec at an old fairgrounds that dates back to 1888. I arrived about 7:30 to find Tim (Ill Digger) had also showed up. Then the fun started. It was me, Don, Alec, Tim, Hiluxyota (Tom), Coinchaser (Lee), Chicago Digger, 219erman (Dave), and 3 Barber Ted (that's his new nickname. He was just Ted when he showed up). Nine detectorists all swinging at the same time! Everyone was finding barber dimes (except Don), indian head cents (except Don), and wheat cents (except you-know-who) LOL. We had such a great time as a group. Talking about videos that we love and hate on YouTube, etc.

I found a 1907 IHC and nice 1901 barber dime. A total of 7 barber dimes were found and probably 8 or more IHCs (Alec found 2). Tim got a V nickel and a buffalo too. At about 1 o'clock the Chicago guys had to leave and so Don, Alec and I went to get some lunch. That little town had a pretty darn good Chinese buffet!

After lunch we decided to go door knocking and once again Don worked his magic. He got us 3 great permissions. The last 2 were side by side houses that date to 1880s. Don asked which house I wanted and I said I'll take the one on the right, you do left. As he headed next door I pointed at the house and said this is the kind of house where you can find a Walker half!

Within 5 minutes I see Don whipping his camera out and he is already filming his first silver! 2 minutes later I got a SCREAMER 09-49 at 4 inches right next to the walkway. Out pops a beautiful 1942 Walker! I called Don over so I could share the joy. A few minutes later I got a crazy high-tone signal and when I popped the plug I saw a neat little stack of coins. A 1941 mercury dime and 4 wheat cents (1940-1955). woo-hoo coin spill! The very next signal was a 12-46 that I thought was a silver dime but I was wrong. It was a silver quarter! 1948-S Washington.

In the backyard I got my first ever Midgetoy die cast car. Looks to be 1940s or 50s. Then it got weird. I got a great little signal at 6 inches and cut my plug. I was digging down and the dirt got all weird looking. Then a bunch of dog bones popped up! Some one had buried a dog real shallow and left his collar and dog tag on. Yuck. I reburied Fido and said a little dog prayer for him.

Thanks again Don and Alec and Tim (and all the guys from Chicago land) for a WONDERFUL time. I enjoyed meeting everyone and hope we can all get together again real soon. Here is some pics. HH, Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images               
    Last edited by Full Metal Digger; 03-21-2016 at 03:19 PM.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Third time's the charm!

Congrats on all that beautiful silver, Dave! It sounds like you guys had a great time, I wish I could have joined you.

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

your having a great time on your road trip Dave meeting and detecting with some great people and finding some very nice goodies thanks for bringing us along

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Third time's the charm!

Congrats on all that beautiful silver, Dave! It sounds like you guys had a great time, I wish I could have joined you.

Thanks Tony. You don't know how many times we all said that we wished you could be there. It was weird going on a road trip without you! Hopefully next time you can make it.
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)

Elite Member
    Nice haul you guys. Not much of a door knocker but Don sure has a knack for it. getting to be the only resources left. Great hunt by all. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Great pics Dave! You made out very nicely....how many days left??
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Great pics Dave! You made out very nicely....how many days left??
    Sadly it is all over. I am back home thinking about how soon I can get back up there!

It was great having you up here Dave. You killed it Sunday. I still can't believe you called a half when we got to that house and five minutes later you dug one. And for the record, Barbers were apparently easy diggens at the fair grounds. I got the hard one, I dug the only merc. LOL.

Congrats on a very nice variety of coins and relics. I really like that skeleton key.
    We definitely need to do this again soon. If I try real hard, I might be able to manage a couple more permissions for us. ( and Tony)
    Did you stop any where on the way home? Potato soup maybe?
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Sweet bunch of treasure ! Love the Walker !
    Glen
    Always looking for that next ring !!

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Did you stop any where on the way home? Potato soup maybe?
    No stops, I just drove straight through and got home about 10:30 this morning. We need to hit more farm houses next time! Thanks again for everything, Dave.

Wow, amazing hunting, congrats!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

All those coins are in good shape. Nice trip for you!

Congrats on that Half! I think I found the same exact car Midgetoy Car last fall.

Fantastic hunt!!!!!! great score on all them silvers and nice coins

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    He was just Ted when he showed up.
    Funny stuff! Sounds like you had a blast. Really happy that you had a great final day with all of that silver!

I wonder if the same youtube channels that I find annoying are the same ones you guys talked about.

Hope you made a video!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

You better buy a lottery ticket after calling that half before you even turned on your detector!!, too bad those other houses didn't produce much on Saturday, but I enjoyed getting out and detecting with you. We definitely have to all get together again sometime this summer , and hit some old farms for sure. Congrats on all your great finds , looking forward to the video ..

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    You had a nice trip with a lot of nice finds, congrats on all the silver especially the BIG one, WTG.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber