Thread: Latest Update: Some silver, lots of bottles. PIC HEAVY.

Talking Latest Update: Some silver, lots of bottles. PIC HEAVY.

Okay, so this happened maybe about a month ago. Went to my favorite spot and dug a funky 70-75 on the AT Pro, with my brand new 5X8 coil. Dug down and pulled a 1940 wheat, then I ran over it again. Perfect 82-83 and I could see a Mercury in the hole. The date caught me off guard--1917, and an S mint mark at that! Comparing to the other 1917 I pulled out of there.. Wow
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00548.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	53323

Name:	DSC00549.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	53324

Name:	DSC00550.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	53325

All the coins I've dug at this spot. Think it ran dry so this is it.

Went back after school one day, got a booming 85 VDI about 2 inches down, figured it was clad. Out puts a 62 quarter with several pieces of iron in the hole. That's the 5X8 for ya!

Now, fast forward to the last few days. I haven't metal detected in for a while because I ran out of spots and too chicken to do permissions. Rode my bike around my neighborhood and found my very first bottle dump. It is very old and is believed to be the dump of a local hotel that once ran here, as pottery isund there with the hotels logo on it. It recently has been dug and they plan to put more houses on it (joy...). So, it was time to save some history. Here's everything I found in the past few days. Sorry for sideways pics. Does anyone know anything about the GREEN Bromo Seltzer??? I am baffled, I dug it in the same spot as everything else.
    Name:  DSC00547.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  31.1 KBName:  DSC00546.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  26.9 KBName:  DSC00545.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  20.5 KBName:  DSC00544.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  22.7 KBName:  DSC00543.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  30.9 KBName:  DSC00542.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  42.4 KBName:  DSC00541.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  34.7 KBName:  DSC00532.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  37.3 KBName:  DSC00531.jpg
Size:  42.7 KBName:  DSC00530.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  32.2 KBName:  DSC00529.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  41.0 KBName:  DSC00528.jpg
Size:  45.2 KBName:  DSC00527.jpg
Size:  37.6 KBName:  DSC00526.jpg
Size:  46.0 KBName:  DSC00525.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  42.4 KBName:  DSC00524.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  36.6 KBName:  DSC00523.jpg
Size:  36.8 KBName:  DSC00522.jpg
Size:  38.1 KBName:  DSC00521.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  40.8 KBName:  DSC00520.jpg
Size:  39.5 KBName:  DSC00518.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  41.4 KBName:  DSC00517.jpg
Size:  37.6 KBName:  DSC00516.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  43.1 KBName:  DSC00515.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  37.3 KBName:  DSC00514.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  44.6 KBName:  DSC00513.jpg
Size:  45.7 KBName:  DSC00536.jpg
Size:  40.0 KBName:  DSC00535.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  42.9 KBName:  DSC00534.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  35.9 KBName:  DSC00533.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  34.1 KB
    Coins found so far: (DETECTING SINCE JULY 2015)
    Silver - 1 SLQ, 6 Washingtons, 11 Mercs, 8 Rosies, 1 Barber Dime, 7 War Nickels
    Others - 6 buffalo nickels, 1 large cent, 1 colonial copper, 5 IHP, and too many wheats.

DETECTORS USED
    Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250, and Pro-Pointer AT

Nice coin collection from that spot-half of those are still om my bucket list!
    Sorry, don't know much of anything about old bottles other than I like the BLUE ones!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Amazing bottles!! I think those things are worth bucks!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Awesome bunch of old bottles for sure and great score on the merc!!

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post

I don't know, lots of pontil wines/beers, blob tops, and meds. I have no idea of the values and don't know who to sell them to.
    Others - 6 buffalo nickels, 1 large cent, 1 colonial copper, 5 IHP, and too many wheats.

DETECTORS USED

Simply BEAUTIFUL bottles! I love the greens and blues but that real skinny green one is my favorite. Looks perfect for holding a single flower. You are very lucky to have such a good bottle dump available to you. Can't wait to see what else you get there. Best wishes and HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

You have a group of very common bottles from the turn of the last century. Most of them carry little value. The Remier squat soda is the best one and in that shape might fetch $5-10 bucks. But if you are in a bottle dump i'd continue to dig it since on occasion really nice bottles show up in dumps of this age.
    Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gaspipe101 View Post
    You have a group of very common bottles from the turn of the last century. Most of them carry little value. The Remier squat soda is the best one and in that shape might fetch $5-10 bucks. But if you are in a bottle dump i'd continue to dig it since on occasion really nice bottles show up in dumps of this age.

Thanks for well.. Um, the disappointment lol. I still love them. Very pretty through sunlight.

Do you have any idea on the green Bromo Seltzer? I've never seen one before and I looked it up, and said it was nuked, but why would someone nuke it then?

DETECTORS USED

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Simply BEAUTIFUL bottles! I love the greens and blues but that real skinny green one is my favorite. Looks perfect for holding a single flower. You are very lucky to have such a good bottle dump available to you. Can't wait to see what else you get there. Best wishes and HH, Dave.
    This is actually my first dump! I went yesterday and a guy who dug there before said it was my local towns dump back then. I have three of the green bottles, so if you want one just hit me up (I don't know what to do with them).

DETECTORS USED

Beautiful bottles. Love the amber beer bottle the most!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

I used to collect bottles. I'd agree most aren't worth more than $10 but Id still say they are cool finds. Hell, I pulled 5 of those mason jars from a bottle dump from an old farm (way before I was into detecting) and they are just so common they aren't worth much. I think the biggest shocker I had was going to Florida and finding one of those old pepsi bottles right in the sand on the beach. ... No letter inside tho. You could try and sell them to an antique dealer in your area if you have no interest in keeping them and want to unload them. They wont give you top dollar, I'm quite certain, but you can still at least get some $ for the lot.

Nice score on those silvers. I'm thinking to get a smaller coil for my new machine. I just haven't decided which would be better. A 5" round (which I think is concentric, but doesn't specify as my whites says 10" round DD.) or only $6 more for the 3.5 x 6.5. Not going to buy both because only one would ever get used when Im near the cellar lip and am not using the 10".

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    I used to collect bottles. I'd agree most aren't worth more than $10 but Id still say they are cool finds. Hell, I pulled 5 of those mason jars from a bottle dump from an old farm (way before I was into detecting) and they are just so common they aren't worth much. I think the biggest shocker I had was going to Florida and finding one of those old pepsi bottles right in the sand on the beach. ... No letter inside tho. You could try and sell them to an antique dealer in your area if you have no interest in keeping them and want to unload them. They wont give you top dollar, I'm quite certain, but you can still at least get some $ for the lot.

Nice score on those silvers. I'm thinking to get a smaller coil for my new machine. I just haven't decided which would be better. A 5" round (which I think is concentric, but doesn't specify as my whites says 10" round DD.) or only $6 more for the 3.5 x 6.5. Not going to buy both because only one would ever get used when Im near the cellar lip and am not using the 10".
    I would only sell doubles. Love them too much! I know they aren't worth a lot and they are common.. But, hell I'm super happy that I got an actual old bottle dump. There is a guy in my area that has dug every privy and dump to be found, but thanks to a construction project this was brought up.

A smaller coil is good for any machine, as I imagine it would discriminate iron more and can find targets in the trash.

DETECTORS USED

Yes as mentioned most are from the very late 1890's to about 1910 era , the green bromo is an unusual one and might fetch a bit more than the common cobalt ones . Keep digging you might find a really nice medicine or bitters .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Elite Member
    I'm not a bottle hunter but seeing all your great photos sure gets me interested- great looking collection of coins and bottles WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Thanks for the comments!

DETECTORS USED