Thread: Garrett Pro Pointer vs. Sunray YF1

Elite Member

Garrett Pro Pointer vs. Sunray YF1

Need to buy a pin pointer. It seems a lot of people are using the por pointer. IS there any reasons why? Any suggestions between the 2? Other suggestions?
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Re: Garrett Pro Pointer vs. Sunray YF1

Hello Rob!

I have been a Sunray Probe user for the last 4 years or so. I really like the way they handle. That being said, I have been using the Garrett Pro Pointer now for about 6 months and I am finding that I like it much better than my DX-1 probe. My detector is lighter and more balanced now. I am getting the same depth with the proximity indicator working as well if not better than the VCO tone of the detector via the DX-1 probe. I originally bought the Pro Pointer for my Wife to use. After using it I got hooked on the precision of this little probe. If you are planning a detector upgrade soon or have more than one detector the Pro Pointer is the way to go.

Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Elite Member

Thanks! Talk about a review, can't get any better than someone whose used both! Good points too after seeing and hearing what Angel is pulling up, thinking about upgrading detector soon. I think I can justify it since it paid for itself this season. It's just a matter of justifying it to the wife!
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

I just got the Garrett Pro Pointer today. Wow, it is nice, I'm very impressed. No going off when I bump it, no emi interference, accurate targeting. I like it.
    DFX, 6x10dd, 5.3, stock 950. 120mm pp. E-Trac, Garrett PP

Well said Jack . I've had 2 different Sunray X-1's on Explorers and an FX-1 on a Fisher F-75 and feel pretty much the same way . There where times though when I would either bump the switch or forget to turn it off and go for an embarassly long amount of time before I noticed it . Never did that on the F75 for some strange reason . The FX1 wasn't bad on the lighter F75 but I did not like the weight on the Explorer , then again I'm no spring chicken .

I use both- I like 'swishing' the Garrett propointer out of my belt buckle like a gun ready for action. lol

I use the XL-1 probe with my XLT more detailed analyzing- when something is deeper like down below big roots or rocks, to figure out if worth the trouble to dig down and around. The probe is definately more work, gotta arrange the detector, switch the two switches, unhook the probe and then switch back to pinpointing mode again after swiping probe for another deeper reading, and THEN put it back, switch the switches back. Yadda yadda good excercise though

Sheik, I relate to what you said about forgetting to switch it back, happened to me before...

Now I'm trying to decide whether to invest ($300?) for a DX-1 probe when I get my V3i back... I used it (V3i) for a month without probe before my battery leak and didn't really miss it!
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat View Post
    I use both- I like 'swishing' the Garrett propointer out of my belt buckle like a gun ready for action. lol

I use the XL-1 probe with my XLT more detailed analyzing- when something is deeper like down below big roots or rocks, to figure out if worth the trouble to dig down and around. The probe is definately more work, gotta arrange the detector, switch the two switches, unhook the probe and then switch back to pinpointing mode again after swiping probe for another deeper reading, and THEN put it back, switch the switches back. Yadda yadda good excercise though

Sheik, I relate to what you said about forgetting to switch it back, happened to me before...

Now I'm trying to decide whether to invest ($300?) for a DX-1 probe when I get my V3i back... I used it (V3i) for a month without probe before my battery leak and didn't really miss it!
    Tana, I've got a DX-1 probe here that I'm not using. It's still on Angel's DFX (I put it on after I borrowed the machine from him, after removing it from the V3 that I sold). I can take it off easily and you can try it out before deciding if you want to buy one. If you do, I'll sell you this one for a good deal. It has very few hours on it.

It's probably not much different than the XL-1 probe though.

Although I have to say, that the X-1 SunRay probe for the Minelab machines work worlds better than the DX-1 for the White's, in my opinion, after using both. More depth and sensitivity with the X-1 in my opinion, by far. I don't know why. I had put the DX-1 on my V3 when I had it, and having been very used to the X-1 on the Explorer, I couldn't understand why it wasn't reacting the same. (In hindsight, probably because I didn't know what I was doing with the V3, so the DX-1 went along for the ride).
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Hey Epi! Maybe you send me your E-Trac for awhile to try out?

I know... DM

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Although I have to say, that the X-1 SunRay probe for the Minelab machines work worlds better than the DX-1 for the White's, in my opinion, after using both. More depth and sensitivity with the X-1 in my opinion, by far. I don't know why. I had put the DX-1 on my V3 when I had it, and having been very used to the X-1 on the Explorer, I couldn't understand why it wasn't reacting the same. (In hindsight, probably because I didn't know what I was doing with the V3, so the DX-1 went along for the ride).
    [/quote]

Epi,
    I had 2 different SunRay X-1 probes on 2 different Explorers and they had way more gusto than the SunRay probe I had on my F-75 . Another guy I know who had an Explorer and an F-75 made this very same observation . I noticed though that I pinpointed a bit better with the F-75's coil and I didn't really need as much depth and sensitivity as I got on the X-1 . Possibly the makeup of the Explorers and E-tracs makes them more compatible to a SunRay probe than any other brand of detector .

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage View Post
    Hey Epi! Maybe you send me your E-Trac for awhile to try out?

I know... DM
    I could have, a couple of months ago lol Now it's getting towards detecting season for me, so you're out of luck lol
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

It never hurts to ask! So... how about it Angel? Can I borrow yours for awhile? thumbsup01

lol

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage View Post
    It never hurts to ask! So... how about it Angel? Can I borrow yours for awhile? thumbsup01

lol
    Sure, but it would require surgery to remove the detector from my arm.... and I like my arm. lol

You definately don't want to borrow an E Trac Jack! Just think beforehand and go ahead and buy one. You will if you borrow one I'm sure of that. I just switched to an X 1 on my E Trac and I love it. It really shines for me compared to the newer Pro Pointers. My old one stopped working and I sent it in to Garrett and they sent me a new one. There is a difference between two years ago and now with them. The X 1 keeps me digging, I'd hate to know how many targets I've given up on with the Pro Pointer. Nothing like having the probe in a hole 5 or 6 inches deep and still getting that flutey sound!!!!!!!! I find my targets much faster too in and out of the hole. I'll never be without a Sunray probe on my detector.
    Wishin I was a dirt fishin!

Ah yes! To buy or not to buy this is the question why lol I would love to get my hands on an E-Trac, but I am just finding way to much great stuff with myV3. Oh well, the grass is always greener... lol

Jack