Thread: CT Group Hunt, weekend digs, yesterday's surprise find

CT Group Hunt, weekend digs, yesterday's surprise find

Been a fun week. Last Wednesday I met up with Isaac and Sam and brought them to a few of my spots in Rhode Island. Sadly the spots never panned out and we ended up getting more ticks on each of us then we did finds in our pockets. Thursday I met up with Isaac and Robert in CT and we hit a bunch of cellar holes. We all did well, Isaac got two coppers, a KG2 farthing and a draped bust half cent in amazing shape. I got two coppers as well, a NJ copper in amazing shape and a draped bust half cent. Isaac also dug a silver cuff link and an amazing colonial button spill where two of the buttons are still connected by clothe. Robert also did well and found a bunch of colonial relics. All in all and awesome day of detecting. Saturday I got out with Jarrod but the sites didn't pan out. Dug a worn to death 1874 Indian and a 1941 Mercury dime. Sunday got out for a few hours, but once again the site didn't pan out, so I went back to an old site close by and dug a fatty Indian head. Yesterday I didn't think I was gonna get out at all but the rain stopped and I managed to get out for an hour to a random and extremly obvious colonial cellar hole. You could actually see the depression from the air on google earth. First target I dug was what I believed to be a pewter medallion or counterfeit coin. I tucked it away and continued looking for that copper I knew was at the site. Well turns out I had already dug one. The coin is my first ever Rosa Americana Two Pence! Massive coin and it's very corroded but I am happy to take it. Overall nice weekend, hope you enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images                       
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

I sure wish i had your time to detect Jim Congrats on the beautiful New Jersey State copper and the half cent , you boys did well !!
    Trooper Bri just recovered a beautiful Rosa 2 pence , hopefully he will post it soon .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

That's a great NJ and the rests not to bad either. Congratulations on a great hunt.
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    I sure wish i had your time to detect Jim Congrats on the beautiful New Jersey State copper and the half cent , you boys did well !!
    Trooper Bri just recovered a beautiful Rosa 2 pence , hopefully he will post it soon .
    Dan, I'm enjoying it while I can, I know it won't be like this forever, thanks for the kind words
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

That DB and NJ are pretty sweet. I had skimmed thought this earlier and for a sec I thought you missed the part about the thread still in the shank cuz everyone points it out when they recover a button with thread. Then I see it was there. One of the cellars I have hit, with a bunch of trash but a few goodies came out of the site like my first huge crotal and a wheatie and IH and shoe buckle plus some random finds, you can see from google satellite as well. Soon I am getting in the snake coil for the White's. Hopefully, I can take it to these sites I found stuff from earlier but cant seem to recover any more from.
    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    I sure wish i had your time to detect Jim
    Yeah... That first summer in college seemed to last forever for me. Those academic semesters are only 14 weeks each. So much more time off in the summer than was throughout 4-12. And even tho I had work for car/insurance/cash, the summer was only something like 15-18 hours a week. I coulda done some serious damage to a lotta spots if I had been into the hobby. Too bad.

Beautiful coins-I'm amazed how well preserved those big coppers can be. Congrats!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Your coppers are just beautiful......
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

That NJ is extraordinary!! I didn't realize they were that large (not having dug one myself ) ...but all those finds are wonderful! Nice job Jim!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Thanks everyone for the comments. I appreciate it!

That New Jersey is a beautiful coin!
    XP Deus

Very nice finds, and uncommon to find coins of that age in such nice condition. That half cent is probably worth few a bucks and your best find IMO. Keep up the good work!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Very nice finds, and uncommon to find coins of that age in such nice condition. That half cent is probably worth few a bucks and your best find IMO. Keep up the good work!

John
    The nicer half cent is actually my friends Isaac's find, my half cent was the one in not as good a shape.

What an amazing hunt. The condition of those coins are spectacular.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Awesome score on them beautiful old coppers

Absoloutly beautiful finds!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

I have never seen a NJ copper before...Awesome coin! Congrats on all of the finds!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)