Thread: learning the etrac

learning the etrac

learning the etrac is an experience . my question is about the constant chirping . when this happens most of the time the numbers aren't good . if I question it I dig it . I am using the minelab coin program and I am not disappointed . no silver yet but a lot of deep coins .

Constant "chirping" could be caused from electrical interference or other interference such as a radio tower or other detector. I would suggest to "noise cancel" with the coil on the ground and see if that helps. Also, buy Andy Sabisch's book on the E-trac or attend one of his bootcamps...well worth the money and its an investment!!
    Minelab CTX3030

Minelab E-Trac

Fisher CZ-21

Fisher CZ-6

Garrett Pro Pointer & Garrett Pro Pointer AT

Predator Tools Model 35 - Piranha Shovel & Model 85 Digger

Began metal detecting in 1984.

Very first Metal Detector: Whites Coinmaster 6000/DI Series 3

I agree with paulie. One other thing is a lot of mineralization in the ground-that could include rusty iron too. I sometimes get that with my CTX. you could try lowering the sensitivity closer to the suggested number on the screen, or ground balance the machine if it's a really low number.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

thanks for the suggestions . I have andy's book so far the first half seems to be quite technical , hopefully
    the next half will be a little less so. I will not give up because I am finding a lot of coins and good stuff but
    it is hard not to grab the atpro and see if i'm missing a lot of stuff .

The Etrac is a beast to learn, especially if you are used to other machines. Set it in multi tone, practice with known good targets and train your ears to ignore the chirping and tune in on the good signals. The etrac can't be ground balanced, it is automatic. For max depth and target separation, use it in manual sensitivity set high. Check out Angellionel's sticky notes about etrac settings. He is the ultimate expert on the etrac.
    Metal Detector, Inline Pinpointer, 6th Sense

still learning the etrac this morning I found a civil war coat button and a very old cuff button . I seem to be in the right area still no silver though.

Hey Tim, I'm glad to hear things are getting better! I'm still available to meet you this Sunday if you are up for it. Just let me know. HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

still learning

found the civil war button and also 2 Indians today on short hunts but still need help so Dave Sunday sounds great to me if you still have my phone number give me a call. I have a bus trip Saturday but I will be back on Saturday.

I'll call you Sunday morning as I am heading up your way.
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)

sunday

Dave about what time do you think that you might head this ? I'll be home from church by 11 am

my first etrac silver and a big one . after getting a new permission from a friend of mine in one hour I found 3 Indians and an 1823 bust half dollar. I still don't understand it all but I'll keep trying . oh buy the way it was the length of a digger deep 9 maybe 10 inches .

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyknees View Post
    my first etrac silver and a big one . after getting a new permission from a friend of mine in one hour I found 3 Indians and an 1823 bust half dollar. I still don't understand it all but I'll keep trying . oh buy the way it was the length of a digger deep 9 maybe 10 inches .
    That 1823 Bust Half is a monumental find! We would love to see some pictures of it!

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

1823 bust

daddydigger might come up this way Sunday and I'll ask him the best way to clean it along with some other questions about the etrac .

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyknees View Post
    daddydigger might come up this way Sunday and I'll ask him the best way to clean it along with some other questions about the etrac .
    I'll give you a call this evening to work out our plans. Looking forward to seeing the half dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    That 1823 Bust Half is a monumental find! We would love to see some pictures of it!

I agree! Wow!
    Congrats!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

thanks for the congrats . the etrac has been great I can't wait till I learn how to use it . when I learn how to post a pic I'll put it on the forum .

daddydigger went out of his way to stop by and help me with my etrac . my what a fine ting to do. to meet him was quite a pleasure and I truly appreciate his help. I showed him the 1823 half and a few other of my fines and since he showed me a few helpful tips I hope to increase my finds. so thank you Dave and I hope that we can meet again someday and dig some dirt.

You got some quality help there, Dave knows his stuff.
    Congrats on the 1823, that will be a tough one to beat...
    *Missouri* E-trac Sunray X1* Oldest 1836 1/4 Real* Oldest Silver 1853 Half Dime * Nicest 1861 Seated Liberty* Gold Pocket Watch* 1904 Worlds Fair Ring*

great find 1823 CB half.I found my 1822 CB half with the e-trac with the Tornado coil. My buddy missed it with the Stock 11 coil. It was either too deep or on its side. I think the depth was at least 10. Mine is holed and worn. But it still counts.
    2017 Total:
    Mercs= 2
    Wash=1
    Seated=1
    total slivers=4
    Wheats 8.
    Indians=4 (1864,1865,1888)
    LG cents=1
    1 Sliver Pendent, 2= 3-ringers, 2 tokens

Most Valuable find ever: 1834 C.B. dime, Oldest 1776 1/2 Reale, Biggest 1822 CB half.
    Detectors: E-trac and F75LTD2

I didn't realize how nice a find I had until all you guys let me know. Now I just keep seeing it fall into the bottom of the hole over and over again . I'm sure your right it is going to be hard to beat . denny2w your right to Dave knows his stuff and a lot of help . I've been working since I met him but i'll be home soon and back at .