Thread: Etrac Coils

Etrac Coils

How do you know if your coil might be going bad? The reason I am asking, and I know the Minelabs are not great at air testing, but is seems to only detect a silver dime at roughly 4-5 inches (air test). And lets say it is going bad, would you purchase another stock coil or is there a better after market coil out there for the Etrac?

Sorry, if I would have looked at the top I would have seen a little history on the coils. Has anyone tried the 15" DD by Coiltech on the Etrac? If so, do you think it performed as well or better than the stock coil?

from what i hear the stock coil is about as good as most the exceptions are the small coil for areas with a lot of metal in the ground pop tops and things like foil it works good at seperating good targets the other being the larger coils for relics hunting large areas where you can cover a lot of ground others here will be able to tell you more i have never used the bigger coils but i do have the small sun ray it is a great little coil for trashy areas but it will take a lot of getting used to as it takes a lot to cover much of a area you have a tendency to go a little fast due to its small size you have to go slow then slow down even more to work it right hope some of this helps you

Thank you for the reply Pokie73. Always great to get some feedback. I have always hunted with the stock coil, but doing more research online, wanted to see if I was missing anything new.
    HH and keep your coil to the soil..

My stock Minelab coil went bad about 2 years ago. It gave me a constant mid tone chatter. Even if I went over a quarter it would only give that annoying chatter. I sent it into Minelab and they sent me a new one about a week later! The first one lasted over 3 years and was still under warranty when it crapped out. The new coil they gave me has a 4 year warranty on it. So if you are still having issues then give them a call and they will take care of you.

Concerning coils I have the stock coil, the Sunray 5" coil and the Detech Ultimate 13" coil. ALL are great! But you have to know when to use them and when not to use them...in trashy areas go with a smaller coil so you can get the best target separation. I prefer my big coil at sites where there is relatively little trash and I need to go deep for the targets.

Best advice I ever got was from a guy who said to swing super slow and then go even slower! I have seen guys swing so fast that they could cut the grass as they detect...I kinda like guys like that...they only get the stuff at the surface and leave the rest for me!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Thanks Bucknut! I have not have any issues here latley, but will keep an eye and ear on it. Thanks for the feedback and replie.
    HH and keep the coil to the soil...