Thread: Three little indians and a cut copper.

Three little indians and a cut copper.

Finally I'm starting to come out of a slump. Well.. for the three previous short hunts I had since I been better. Friday I took a much needed day off work. You say I got enough time off in recovery? Not quite the same as a vacation day... Being the last week of the quarter it was dealing with "get this done, get that done and also do that". I included some pics of the places I was before. In the panorama you might be able to zoom and see the stone walls that lined a cart path between fields. The big tree was looking from the opposite field. I think that tree is the same as the one 1/3 the way from the right of panorama.
    Name:  Field Panorama.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  60.5 KBName:  Massive Tree Fields.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  126.2 KBName:  Massive Grape vine.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  104.3 KB
    Friday Brian and Dan.. can't forget Dan who researched the prop and gathered people, invited a few of us out to detect a field. Thank you Brian for obtaining the permission (prob the harder part than the research is). It was a nice big field lined with stone walls. Unlike Saturday, the periods of rain on Friday were short. Only once I needed my hooded jacket. Either way, the dirt was still wet and boy did my clothes and gloves get muddy. Most of the items are cleaned now, except my backpack is still pretty bad. The day started off slow for me. I picked up some brass piece and then a brass ring. It might be the right size for a napkin ring. I went for an orbit and checked around. There wasn't like pockets of iron... one area behind the well was prob an acre of just iron targets everywhere. And of course I got the standard ox shoe. Ugh. Eventually when I changed to the new snake coil I got (which is giving me issues when the sensitivity is over 5??), things turned around. Right out in front of where I decided the cellar must have been I found an IH. Then when I came back around I found another. A weird piece came up.. It looks like a lever to something. Or, handle for a small lever. Looks pewter too. Picked up a live rifle round and a D buckle. After how long the round has been in the ground its prob a dud. When I took out my first machine I went around the area again and nabbed another IH and a button. The button had a backmark in the green patina when it came up, but it was too porous and cleaning it just took it all away. Oh well. The 1902 and 03 are in pretty great shape. The 03 has full liberty. I made use of the macro lens on those two. The other is a worn and bent 1880. Prob can see that from pic. Either hit with a lawnmower or a plow. Al and Jeff, it was nice to meet you guys. Dan and Bri, good to see you again.
    Name:  Field Finds 4-1.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  57.0 KBName:  1903 IH Union.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  37.1 KBName:  1902 IH Union.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  47.0 KBName:  Worn IH 1880.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  20.4 KB
    Saturday was a hunt with the local detecting club. For two years I missed the hunt at early March. Last year was weather related and lax on letting people know the date was changed.. after I drove down the for the original date. This time... well... people know about altho I was discharged that same day at 1030a. With a 11a registration for an hour drive after a half hour to get home plus getting stuff ready... no way I would have made it. Lucky this past weekend was another club sanctioned event I could make. It was at a boy scout camp that has been around since the late 30's. It is on what used to be farm fields for a homestead that was on the 1868 map. The cellar is filled in now, but there was another cellar there and another foundation. Most people stayed in the field. Over 30 silvers were pulled from the field alone including 2 Franklin halves and 1 walker and 1 barber dime. I unfortunately didn't get any silver. Just some wheats; the oldest being 1927. The 1934 I think is not a common date. I nabbed 6 of the scout slides. One was right on the surface. The green one was literally in the area where about 20 other holes existed. The clad... I actually got at least a 3 dime spill. The cellar hole I hiked to after I had some lunch. No one had found anything there earlier. I tried the small coil there but it didn't help. I actually found the cut copper after I put back the larger coil. This was my first cut copper I have found ever. Looks like a KG3 to me having a right facing bust and I can only see the back of the bust. It was a good place to hunt, but the rain was bad and the mud was almost unbearable for me. Glad to finally get some stuff worth the dig.... That and to get out with a few that I haven't gotten out with much.
    Name:  Scout Finds 4-2.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  63.5 KBName:  Cut  copper.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  92.8 KBName:  Salamander.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  83.5 KB

Some really neat finds and great pics. Thanks and congrats. Gotta take some personal time once in a while to just get away and detect. Gl and hh#
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

"And of course I got the standard ox shoe. Ugh. "
    HEY!!! Be proud of those shoes!!
    I'm glad you are out and about. Those first two pics look like you were in my neck of the woods. Congrats on the keepers!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

That 1903 looks great as do your pictures. I thought that Friday was wet and muddy but Saturday looked miserable.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Some really neat finds and great pics. Thanks and congrats. Gotta take some personal time once in a while to just get away and detect. Gl and hh#
    Thanks, Chris. Wish the gf was that understanding. Not sure if you read what I posted on that in Leslie's thread. Well... the gf's view is to do chores before going detecting. Not sure why she doesn't quite understand that detecting can "only" be done during daylight and cleaning dishes in the sink or vacuuming can be done inside when its dark out. I wouldn't wanna be a mile in the woods at night carrying my equipment regardless if I had a flashlight or not nor would many homeowners want you there digging when its dark. Yes I have camped and I don't mind it, but camping doesn't entail hiking in the dark trying to find your way to a car with no path and time constraints.

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    HEY!!! Be proud of those shoes!!
    I'm glad you are out and about. Those first two pics look like you were in my neck of the woods. Congrats on the keepers!
    You and Al have very different views on ox shoes. Are you proud of them cuz its in your name? He said most won't admit finding them. I haven't used my first machine in the woods in a while AND found an ox shoe with it. I mention because they ring only like a nickel on that machine. The new machine it sometimes can sound like a quarter or dime but just a little unstable. But unstable enough to how a LC sounds. Yeah... it is part of the culture like they say on SD to get an ox shoe and it does show there is age to a place. Idk... not sure if you been that way before. It shows about an hour drive or 35 miles from that weird jog in 44 by the town center. Thanks, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    That 1903 looks great as do your pictures. I thought that Friday was wet and muddy but Saturday looked miserable.
    Thanks, Al. Maybe the pics aren't quite National Geographic quality but I'd say decent with a phone cam. I am designated photographer with the gf's venues/outtings. I'm thinking to upgrade to the S7 soon so maybe the cam is better on there. Yeah, Saturday was pretty bad. Maybe Sunday was the most horrible having the winds and going from light snow to sunshine to blizzard to sunshine in a matter of an hour or so. I can't believe some went to the club hunt on Sunday.... Last time I got stuck out in the snow I was there for an hour before it started and I didn't know snow was coming.

I was just kidding around Jim, I hate digging those things, but they do turn up now and again.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Nice hunt Jim. I almost came to the hunt but after a few previous hunts in the rain I am definitely not a mudder. I'm surprised at all the silver at the scout camp. The day I was there before I didn't find any. Wherever that field is located I wasn't in it. I know it's a big property. Still have to go to that other scout camp I told you about soon.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE54 View Post
    Nice hunt Jim. I almost came to the hunt but after a few previous hunts in the rain I am definitely not a mudder. I'm surprised at all the silver at the scout camp. The day I was there before I didn't find any. Wherever that field is located I wasn't in it. I know it's a big property. Still have to go to that other scout camp I told you about soon.
    Thanks Mike. I don't mind the snow altho I generally hate the cold. At least I intentionally dress with multiple layers and move around which helps. and I never go out when its really cold. But, snow like rainy days gives mud and I can't tell you how much I was getting annoyed that day with the hood and earphones sliding and taking the backpack on and off for the junk targets to go in the bin. Regardless of having gloves my hands still got nearly black from the dirt.
    The field was right past the parking lot thru the pines. It was clearly visible from the parking lot. idk... Seemed like the place was untouched. I actually forgot about the scout camp you mentioned. There were a few of them you mentioned. I just remember the one you, Kev, and I went to with very slim pickings. I did find a new spot I think I might check out this weekend. I got a tip from a guy that gets out on trails and I did find an area that is supposed to have 3 or 4 cellars. Idk if they are filled or not. But there is also a scout camp nearby, that is defunct. The guy said it is all woods and no scout buildings.

I was there prior to knowing a lot about my machine but still should have got something. After the nice start I had this year can't wait to get out ( when it's warmer and drier!!!). I'll call you.

Elite Member
    Always love your photos. Nice finds and I nice Boy Scout bounty. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Hey how did i miss this post ?? Hey Jim it was great to see you show up at the field . I hope we can do it again soon my friend and hopefully either one of the Kevins show up too .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Great bunch of digs! Congrats!