Thread: Wed hunt associated with B's and a field hunt

Wed hunt associated with B's and a field hunt

I'll keep it simple this time instead of another novel.. . The items in the pics are not separated by outings...

On the 18th was back at the 1820 house with Kevin. Now my oldest dog tag is 1909 instead of 1910. They were maybe 5 ft away from each other....

On the 23rd I met up with a few friends from the detecting club. I had a legit reason to show up late. They were popping Barber dimes. One of theirs was literally on the surface. I couldn't find one to save my live that day. But, I still managed my first silver of 2016. An early 1918 merc. I think the ball is a pistol musket, but could be buck shot. There were no shotgun casings in the field. That reminds me of the fact the third and older field we tried I did get a live round. The single ring I think is a .52 carbine variant which is CW time period. Finally I got one of those big ox knobs. They were shocked it was not 15 ft from the cars and they missed it.

The 24th was an immediate yes at first house. Not too much came from there. Got a nice 1898 IH by some trees out front. It is in immaculate condition seeing as the brown is still some caking on it that I have yet to clean off. The suspender clip was target #1. The flattened item I think is like a plumb as it has the swivel and the ticks around the edges.

Wed I went back to the place I got my seated silver. Finally I got my first barber. This too is in really great shape. 1911. Got my first bail seal there. Researched it was from the latter part of 1800s for Potash from Stessfurt Germany. There was a large flat button near where I pulled a buff before. Maybe time frame for the houses across the street, but its too early for this house. I got a weird no-so-compact. Part of it is iron and part is brass. Looks like a deck of cards. The knife says Mohawk trail. The matrons were from the long thread but now are in cases.

Name:  1909 dog tag.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  89.7 KBName:  IH and Silvers.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  120.3 KBName:  1898 IH.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  48.5 KBName:  Bail Seal.jpg
Size:  105.1 KBName:  Flat Button.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  98.2 KBName:  Bullets and suspender.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  73.6 KBName:  Ox Knobs.jpg
Size:  66.5 KBName:  Knife and Compact.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  57.9 KBName:  Bridge water.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  114.8 KBName:  Wheats and IH.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  68.1 KBName:  Matron in cases.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  72.2 KB

Very nice post.

Congrats on that 1909 dog tag, two older tags so close to each other.....

WTG on your silvers and IH's. Still looking for my 1st Barber for the year. You're right about the match safe, definitely weird metals.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Elite Member
    That is some amazing stuff. I just wonder just how far back dog tags go. Nice hunt WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Very nice post.

Congrats on that 1909 dog tag, two older tags so close to each other.....

WTG on your silvers and IH's. Still looking for my 1st Barber for the year. You're right about the match safe, definitely weird metals.
    Thanks, AL. So that's a match safe and not a larger than normal make up compact? Maybe that's why I saw no mirror or make up inside. I was thinking the area with the dog tags were by the side of the yard near the road. Not sure if the dogs were getting hit there with those new fangled cars...

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin digger View Post
    That is some amazing stuff. I just wonder just how far back dog tags go. Nice hunt WD
    Thanks WD. Been getting some luck lately with the exception of this weekend.. But I didn't put too much effort in. Dog tags go back sometime to around the late 1870s, in general. Altho, some towns prob adapted them later on. It was considered a tax... that's why some towns had them later on.

Very nice finds Jim! That is a super old tag. Was it AL who found a tag from the 1800s? Keep it up!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Very nice finds Jim! That is a super old tag. Was it AL who found a tag from the 1800s? Keep it up!
    Thanks, Drew. And to the Q... I do believe it was someone else, but idr whom.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Congrats on a bunch of nice finds, WTG.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Congrats on a great variety of finds!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Fighter 43 View Post
    Congrats on a bunch of nice finds, WTG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Congrats on a great variety of finds!
    Thanks, Guys. Always a variety with finds for some reason.