Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do you Metal Detect?

Why do you Metal Detect?

I read something awhile ago that got me thinking. Why do you Metal Detect? Do you really think that you are going to find that pirate chest full of treasures? I would lke to know what it is about this hobby that you enjoy so much. I like this hobby because of the people that I have met as well as the treasures that I have found. I don't really plan on keeping my treasures no matter how cool they are. I enjoy the hunt most of all. I get a kick out of seeing what in the heck that is just under my feet. Silver, Gold, Old toy's, whatever. I get a kick out of seeing what others have found too. I like traveling all over and experiancing the different place's to hunt. I do have plans for the treasure and trinkets that I have found. The next guy, just might find a pirate chest full of treasure's. Now that would be a tale to tell. How I found pirates treasure in, Kansas?? Whats your story?

Re: Why do you Metal Detect?

Ever since I was a little kid and was wandering around my neighborhood, I would always be looking down. Maybe because living in a city, you had lots of trash to look over as you walked lol. I remember looking at the stamps off of envelopes that were thrown about, when the plows hit the curbside trash in the winter. We would walk the snow banks and see all kinds of stuff. Remember, the average postage stamp back then was a 4 or 5 cent stamp crying01 So as I got older, I graduated from the snow banks to the river banks and looked for old bottles that stuck out of the bank. Also collected dated nails when walking the railroad tracks. So I guess it's genetic You are either born that way or not. But that's how I got interested in lost items. Digging for coins in the dirt, was the icing on the cake thumbsup01
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

my therapist said it would calm the voices in my head !

no but seriously i use to play with those small plastic army men in my back yard in a big mud hole that i would dig tunnels and make mud castles and i think i went through alot (lost)of my mothers spoons.so i got started when i was 9 or 10 my mom bought me a cheapy radio shack detector for Christmas , it was a win win for everyone i had alot of fun and she got her spoons back lol lol and i rediscovered the hobby about 9 or 10 years ago and that old feeling ya get finding neat things and it sure does bring back memories of my mom everytime i pull up a spoon .

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I'm naturally curious. I have always loved history as well. Metal detecting is a way for me to satisfy both things. More importantly, it's also my stress reliever. I'm not looking to get rich, but I sure won't mind if I do. I do however love to keep my finds. They might be worthless for the most part, but they are a treasure to me. I have given coins away before so it's not that I'm selfish. I plan on passing down all my finds to my kids just as my dad has to me. One of my goals was to become a better detectorist than my dad. I feel like I've finally been able to do that now. I'm hoping one day my kids will become better than me at the hobby.
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

Growing up as a kid I always wanted to be an archaeologist. I would watch people on TV digging up cool old relics and it always intrigued me. Well I never became an archaelogist but for me detecting is really the next best thing. I remember a buddy of mine was digging a hole in his back yard one time back in high school and he ended up finding a Mercury dime. That really got me thinking about what was really in the ground and the idea never went away until I finally bought a detector about 5 years ago. It has always just been a hobby for me and a great stress reliever as I have a very stressful job. Hopefully someday I will strike it rich but it has never been my intention!

Contrary to what it may seem, for me detecting is about having time alone, time to think, as well as simply enjoying being outside. It is also a stress reliever. I love walking into the woods and just getting 'lost', walking for hours while detecting. I don't have to find anything to enjoy my time out. I have returned home empty-handed countless of times, yet I loved every moment sweeping the coil. It sure adds to the enjoyment when finding a few old coins though. thumbsup01

I love the idea of finding an old coin, or other relic, that has been in the ground and has not been touched for decades, maybe hundreds of years, until I dig it up. I like the sense of unknown... that whatever target I found could be absolutely anything (including a buried Volkswagon lol ). I do like the peace, also. I much prefer going places where there are no other people. I like detecting in the woods or in rural areas. Parks bother me more, because there are too many nosy people. I don't like people when I'm detecting. lol

I don't like history per se, but I am intrigued by old houses in particular. Especially old deserted houses.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Just to get out and finding something someone has lost years before..Havin' fun in group hunts, my two boy's out diggin' for me or just alone....Just like detecting.....
    Diggin' the past, teaching my Son's for the future........ www.EFTHA.com

I've always been a collector.. Once I bought my Ace 250 on New Years Eve of 2008 and went out I became hooked on finding coins and jewlery. Now I have a hobby where my collection addiction is satisfied and for free.. I always have fun out there..

Bruce
    Minelab E-Trac
    Whites DFX
    Garrett Pro Pointer

I don't really know why I do it. I started this about 25 years ago. I know it all started with a treasure magazine I picked up during a family vacation in the Rockies. Whne I got home I saved and bought a cheap radioshack POS. My local park was actually virgin territory and I paid for that machine with the clad I pulled from the park. A couple years later, I saved up enough to buy a Garrett MH7. I found so much cool stuff with it. I love finding OLD coins, and I like ghosttowning and bottle hunting. Soooo I guess I just like the history aspect.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

I do it to get away from the rest of the world. I love being in my own thoughts and it's strange because I can't remember what I was thinking about when I was detecting, even when I detect with a group I'm still alone in my thoughts and at my age I need the excercise which is a side benefit.
    E-Trac, Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium.

Earth ('til I get the proper equipment to swing elsewhere).

Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    Wow Krom.... Hate to break it to you, but me and Del hit that place last year lol lol

lol lol The meteorites would be all yours.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post

Wow Krom.... Hate to break it to you, but me and Del hit that place last year lol lol
    ya very disappointing too Joe , those guys wearring the funny tracked shoes all they dropped was clad lol lol

but Coinnut found the keys to their wierd looking ride they left Doubled parked .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Ooooo, I'm soooo sorry...!
    I read that too fast! I thought it said Where.
    OK... Why?
    Ummmm.... 'cause I wanna find stuff.
    What? You think it was for the freakin' exersise? I'm 61!!! lol

CoinNut... what'd you guys do... stick to Tranquility Base? I hit that place with my Classic ID 5 years ago... see?

I too just love getting out in my own little world and be able to think and breeath in some good fresh air. I don't care what I find. Don't get me wrong I love finding the old coins and jewelery but if I had to choose I would rather find things I could do a lot of research on to find out who owned it, where they were from, and try to determine why the item was where I found it.
    Minelab ETrac,Whites BH-ID, Fisher F2, Vibraprobe PP,Bullseye II PP.

Nice reply, Hoser. thumbsup01

CoinNut... what'd you guys do... stick to Tranquility Base? I hit that place with my Classic ID 5 years ago... see?
    Yea, we did. We got kinda lazy and they just put in a new surround sound system in the module, so we listened to music all day But let me know what areas you hit with that classic ID so I can get the stuff you missed lol lol Just bustin ya.

That ID's been history (like Apollo 15) for a long time now.
    You'll hafta compete with a DFX now... (ummm...you too, Dan)! lol
    Bustin' ya back, guys.