Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why do you Metal Detect?

Re: Why do you Metal Detect?

It's like when you were a kid opening a box of Cracker Jacks looking for the prize, to me metal detecting is the same, plus when I'm out detecting all my worries just seem to disappear. Serenity fresh air and of course the surprises, I love it.

Attached Images Attached Images   

Candidate Member

I have always been a Rockhound/Gold Prospector,,,and Ive spent most of my life outdoors.
    It never mattered where I was , I was looking at the ground.

But, for alot of years , I had made Whiskey my main hobby, and it finally caught up to me.

During my first year of sobriety, I started researching metal detectors, as I needed to keep my mind occupied. I researched them all , in depth .
    Then, with all the money I was saving , I bought my MXT, and ever since, this hobby has kept me busy.
    I continue learning my MXT, I research property ownership, I search out permission,and I research local history.
    It works for me, as I am constantly busy.

The old me would be hanging out in my shop, with my bottle in hand, hiding from the kids ,( as if they wouldnt smell it later)

Now, its, Hey kids , lets go detecting/ rockhounding. or Hey , Lets go fishin / detecting

So, I do it because I'm a born digger, and, it keeps me occupied even in the winter months, and the best of all, I am spending more quality time with the kids.
    But , THE Most Important part is , Its my new addiction, and it has taken over the thoughts of drinking.
    Dusty

I had a wheatie collection when I was a kid and have loved coins ever since. I love holding something you know is so many years old and the connection you have with who might have held it in the past and what was happening in the world when it was minted. Detecting is just an extension of that. I love pulling that old silver coin out of the ground and thinking about how different things were when it was dropped. You get a real connection with what you think the person was like when it was dropped and how the area you are in might have looked. That and the fact that it IS just plain relaxing, yet exciting at the same time. It is a great hobby.

Poker Jim

I got back into Metal detecting to have something to do for the hour I am required to take for lunch each day, I now metal detect [when the weather is tolerant]. It has become a very important part of my day as the time spent allows me some thinking time, and more importantly time to pray and talk to God about this crazy world we live in. I also enjoy getting lost in the thoughts of the times of past as I find items that make you ask how did it get here?? It seems a hunt does not go by when I am intrigued by some item that I have found. It simply amazes me the things we can find hiding just under our feet. What an incredible hobby...

Nobody likes me, so when they can, they tell me to get out ! detecting is a good way to kill some time..
    Someday, I wanna be a vampire

Candidate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DustyRoundup View Post
    I have always been a Rockhound/Gold Prospector,,,and Ive spent most of my life outdoors.
    It never mattered where I was , I was looking at the ground.

But, for alot of years , I had made Whiskey my main hobby, and it finally caught up to me.

During my first year of sobriety, I started researching metal detectors, as I needed to keep my mind occupied. I researched them all , in depth .
    Then, with all the money I was saving , I bought my MXT, and ever since, this hobby has kept me busy.
    I continue learning my MXT, I research property ownership, I search out permission,and I research local history.
    It works for me, as I am constantly busy.

The old me would be hanging out in my shop, with my bottle in hand, hiding from the kids ,( as if they wouldnt smell it later)

Now, its, Hey kids , lets go detecting/ rockhounding. or Hey , Lets go fishin / detecting

So, I do it because I'm a born digger, and, it keeps me occupied even in the winter months, and the best of all, I am spending more quality time with the kids.
    But , THE Most Important part is , Its my new addiction, and it has taken over the thoughts of drinking.
    Dusty

Congratulations on your sobriety Dusty!!!

I am an introspective type of person and I am quite happy being alone with my thoughts. In my job as a towboat captain I am by myself in the wheelhouse just about all the time and it suits me just fine. I enjoy metal detecting for all the reasons everyone already said... sense of discovery, thrill of the hunt, being alone, and being able to think and enjoy the great outdoors and all the little critters I see while I am doing it. Not many hobbies that one can do that are really relaxing and will actually profit the hobbyist, even if it is pennies at a time.
    Lineboat captain by trade, metal detectorist by choice. USANG vet. 1986-94. May God bless our men and women in uniform.