Thread: Nantucket

Nantucket

Hello all
    I've got a week in Nantucket coming up in June. I'm hoping for some information from you about detecting there. I have never detected on a beach before and if I must I will but I don't know the rules or where you can go. Is there regular dirt there? I don't want to sit on the beach for a week. I don't want to sit in the house watching television.
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

It's been many years since I've been there. Had a great uncle that lived there. Most of the public land is scrub oak if I recall. There are some private farm fields that certainly be worth detecting at if you could get permission. There was colonial settlement there since the late 1600's. "Regular dirt" ? On the leeward side of the island, the soil is likely pretty sandy. Could be a good bit of graphite there too. A nice big chunk gives a good signal unfortunately. Ground notch might come in handy.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Wow Crickets
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

Quote Originally Posted by CTTodd View Post
    Wow Crickets
    sorry Todd , never been there and I suspect many here are in the same boat .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Sorry, I've never detected there either. All I can suggest is to fo some derp research. Try to find the old maps, do overlays, etc as is usual. Once potential sites are located, you should be able to access the USGS maps that will tell you the ground conditions. Quite often you can find more detailed reports of ground composition if you look hard enough. Check the local government wed site, maybe you can access building site tests if you want to get that detailed. Hope this helps
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

....Idk. For soil, I am sure the inner island is dirt. I do see a few spots. There is a Tom Nevers Park. There's a wildlife sanctuary, a pasture, ram pasture, a small area of state forest, and a whole lot of cranberry bogs. For some reason, the aerial view is poor in the island. There are a lot of municipal/ Nantucket Conservation properties.

Todd did you end up doing any detecting on Nantucket? Any luck? I'm going there later this summer.
    http://www.youtube.com/c/MrDigger

Minelab Equinox 800, SE Pro
    Oldest coin: 1693 W&M halfpenny
    Oldest silver: 1751 Ferdinand VI Pistareen1 Real
    Oldest US coin: 1787 Mass State Copper
    Oldest US silver: 1821 Capped Bust Dime
    Favorite Find: 1806 Carolus IIII 8 Reales