Thread: Dual Coppers at a farm hunt and a few cellar hunt finds

Dual Coppers at a farm hunt and a few cellar hunt finds

The weather on mother's day weekend wasn't the greatest, but later in the day on Sunday It was good enough to get out. I was in a rush to even think about it being a holiday and him having guests. Lucky he was still nice enough to let Kev and I hunt. We were banished to the fields of the property. I hadn't found much in the fields before other than can slaw. This time I nabbed an ox knob with a piece of the horn still inside. Further check of this area where the field went on a hill side I nabbed my second CT copper and a toasty copper. The smaller one I have only tried using an oil soak and toothpick. You can see the green patina layer, but it is coming up along with the black crud layer. It's a tad small, so it's most likely a half farthing. No surprise that it's toasty being found toward the middle of the field whilst the CT was near the edge of the field. Apparently, tho, those predate the house by 55+ years. That means it was once utilized by the adjacent properties within the same family name. I found an odd piece as well. Fully brass. It reminds me of an old telescope.
    Name:  1788 CT.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  69.0 KBName:  Zoom Date.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  49.0 KBName:  Obverse CT.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  109.9 KBName:  Toasty Copper side 2.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  83.0 KBName:  Toasty copper.jpg
Size:  85.5 KBName:  Unknown - telescope.jpg
Size:  61.0 KB
    Saturday I tried hitting a few cellars. I had spotted them while out hitting an old school property and another cellar. There were supposed to be two on the first hunt with public property, but I couldn't locate it. It was most likely filled and built upon. The ones I hit this Saturday were private. I went to the address listed for the owner, but it was actually a rental property. So, I went to a 1732 house to ask. She said she and her sister was all over the property already, but it was because she was moving that she didn't want me to hunt. So I stopped back at some fields I knew of, and actually found the address for the owner of the cellar hole property and went there. He took my info and said it was ok to go. He told me that its been picked over before including by trespassers. I knew I saw a cabin site so I thought there was some hope. Well, the first cellar was pretty clean. Barely any iron there even. So I went up the road to the cabin site, and started getting some iron hits. There wasn't much other than a few falsing iron signals. Once I saw a piece of a hoe next to a tree I knew someone had also found the cabin site. . It was on the property for cellar #2. Somewhere back behind the well area I did snag a petal bell. I possibly have found one where the maker's mark was unknown. The classic bell site listing makers has only one maker with a first initial 'O' and there was no known maker mark associated with it. I also found a complete old iron padlock. I did an orbit and found a raised barn; not one of those built into the side of a hill. The only thing I found there was the brass piece for the scythe. Further out were only shell casings. Somewhere off to the side behind the rock wall in the front of the property, I found a spot where someone must have parked the cars. I shall at some point take a pic an post it, but it was one of those old side view mirrors with the thin rod to the door. Maybe the paint color can indicate the maker.

Sunday I got back to the spot where I found my first KG2. It was ridic windy and cold. Kev got a nice iron bell still on the chain for an oxen. It's currently in the trash bin if someone wants it. I had thought I found my first flying eagle. It was a surprise that it was a coin pulled up due to the fact I had just pulled up a shotgun shell. I found a spot that was overlooked. Turns out it was just an 1886 IH. It was deformed for some reason, which some of you can prob tell why the raised area, covered in crud, and the back wreath, covered also in crud, could be easily a way to mistake it for an FE before it was cleaned. The rein guide was in the same hole with the small buckle and a piece of iron I was still getting a flasing reading from before I moved on. Ugh, I was still getting some aluminum slag. The barn had most definitely burned down in a fire. The last last pic is the school's foundation.
    Name:  Barn Foundation.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  145.0 KBName:  Crotal Dug.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  116.3 KBName:  Crotal OPC.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  123.3 KBName:  Crotal Maker OPC.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  86.1 KBName:  1886 IH.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  140.9 KBName:  1886 IH front.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  120.1 KBName:  IH and buckle.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  78.9 KBName:  Cellar finds 5-15.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  79.1 KBName:  School foundation.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  140.7 KB

Nice looking site. WTG on the finds!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

congrats on the coppers Jim , the Ct. looks like a 1786 variety by the lady type looks . the school house cut granite outline sure looks familiar
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Looks like a lot of goodies! I really like that bell. Too bad the IH is do mangled though.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Elite Member
    Great artifacts and coins WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    Nice looking site. WTG on the finds!
    Thanks, Rog.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    congrats on the coppers Jim , the Ct. looks like a 1786 variety by the lady type looks . the school house cut granite outline sure looks familiar
    Tenks, Danny. I was thinking it was an '88 (also hoping cuz those are more rare). It is a bit hard to tell however the last digit could be a funny looking tilted 6. The other school foundation out near Minnehaush is only stacked stone like a regular foundation, just not deep like a cellar. I was actually surprised to the foundation where I got the CW bit boss that it is actually 8+ ft deep foundation. All these other ones we see don't appear that deep. Even the basement in the 1752 Kev took me to was a low ceiling height.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Looks like a lot of goodies! I really like that bell. Too bad the IH is do mangled though.
    Thanks, Chris. Personally I like the other bells I have found, but I do like the possibility of how it might be a "rarer" one judging by my write up and research. More like "too bad the Ih wasn't an FE". I was disappointed. Now a matron to me is like "ehh" cuz I wanna find something I haven't already found. Sure a matron is still better than nothing, however.

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin digger View Post
    Great artifacts and coins WD
    Thanks WD.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Tenks, Danny. I was thinking it was an '88 (also hoping cuz those are more rare). It is a bit hard to tell however the last digit could be a funny looking tilted 6.
    Most of the 6's are funny looking and tilted Jim.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Lots of nice finds Jim...I like the bell best. They seem to be much more rare than coppers.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Lots of nice finds Jim...I like the bell best. They seem to be much more rare than coppers.
    Thanks, Drew. How many bells u got? And, yeah. I think I got like 17 coppers and only 6 crotal bells (+1 more ox bell)...

Nice hunt there Jim! Crotals are a very rare find for me. I have many more coppers than crotal bells. Actually, now that I think of it, I have 5 times as many Fugios than I do full crotal bells. Go figure!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Pretty cool finds! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Thanks, Drew. How many bells u got? And, yeah. I think I got like 17 coppers and only 6 crotal bells (+1 more ox bell)...
    Your crotal to copper percentage is off the charts
    I'd guess I have under 10 crotals... and maybe 30 Connecticut coppers alone. ...so I guess I just stink at finding crotals...or you have crotal super powers!! But, it sounds as if I find them with more regularity than Jeff
    What is an ox bell btw? Like a cow bell?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Jim, some nice finds, especially your coppers and that bell. I have to agree, the bells are rarer than the coppers.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Nice hunt there Jim! Crotals are a very rare find for me. I have many more coppers than crotal bells. Actually, now that I think of it, I have 5 times as many Fugios than I do full crotal bells. Go figure!
    Hmm.. I cant find a fugio to save my life. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ewcoinhunter View Post
    Pretty cool finds! Congrats!
    Thanks, EW.

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Your crotal to copper percentage is off the charts
    I'd guess I have under 10 crotals... and maybe 30 Connecticut coppers alone. ...so I guess I just stink at finding crotals...or you have crotal super powers!! But, it sounds as if I find them with more regularity than Jeff
    What is an ox bell btw? Like a cow bell?
    Yeah, they aren't much different, but I think most of the conestoga type are on cows. I just completely think this was definitely an ox type because the fields were plowed by oxen. I found two ox knobs maybe 5 ft away from this, along with one in the field. And apparently I had to add this pic. I definitely know I put it on SD on FB, but apparently this didn't make it to AD.

Name:  Ox Bell.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  86.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Jim, some nice finds, especially your coppers and that bell. I have to agree, the bells are rarer than the coppers.
    Thanks, Al. Guess I should embrace the bells. Lol. I like to get them more than ox knobs at least.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Congrats on some nice digs, WTG.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

I did save the bell Jim, I will post a picture.

Congrats on a great variety of finds. Cool Stuff!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Fighter 43 View Post
    Congrats on some nice digs, WTG.
    Thanks. I still have to submit that pic to American Classic bells to help their database.

Quote Originally Posted by bamaart View Post
    I did save the bell Jim, I will post a picture.
    Oh, good thing I didn't go rooting thru the trash bin trying to find it. Maybe you can clean it up with some naval jelly and paint it up. Maybe for use outside as a decorative piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Congrats on a great variety of finds. Cool Stuff!!
    Thanks Don. Never short of uniqueness for my finds. Lol.