Thread: Two days of hunting with Daddy Digger

Two days of hunting with Daddy Digger

I met up with Dave Friday morning for a little Northern Illinois Hunting. We started out in an older town about an hour south of where I live. The first house we hit, I dug a 1909 aluminum $1.00 trade token. We moved on to another house and the only coin I dug there was an 1859 Canadian large Cent. Pretty nice shape too! After that we had to leave because apparently you need to have a permit to knock on someones door in that town. What Ever!! We hit a house in the next town and i dug an old padlock. No Coins.

We decided to take an hour drive and hit the town that I got my seated half last week. On the way, Dave pulled into the driveway of an old farm house. At first, we got a No, but after a few minutes of Dave talking to the owner, we not only got a yes, he also brought some beers out to us. I dug an 1895 Indian and a couple of wheats. Dave did better. Unfortunately, that was about it for me for the day. We did eventually make it to our original destination. We hunted a house two doors down from where I dug the two half Dollars last week. Let me just say, I'm going to re-name that street Half Dollar ave. (Check out Daddy Diggers post).

Saturday. All I got Saturday was exercise. we hunted for 12 hours and all I dug was an old Temple pin and 3 wheats. OUCH. Alec hunted the first house with us before his allergies flared up. He dug a really nice Saloon token. It looks to be pretty old and it's in nice shape.

Once again, Dave did better! I mean really better!

Even though I sucked this weekend ( with the exception of the Canadian LC ), I still had a good time. The weather was good, the company was great and I still have 2 days off work!!
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by Digger Don; 05-29-2016 at 11:18 AM.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Say what you will Don but I think you got some good finds too! I didn't realize that Vicky penny was in such good shape. You can clearly see her laurels and the braid of the hair. You can see why I think she must have been a real hottie in her day! The IHC looks like it was dropped on the way home from the bank. Of course, you know I think the best find of the weekend was Al's saloon token. It has all the bells and whistles for a collectable token. Funny how Illinois is abbreviated ILLS.

Thanks again for all your hospitality and taking me to your good sites! You bought me lunch and dinner too! Looking forward to my next trip up there. BTW, the spoon straightened out pretty good! Best wishes and HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Permit to knock on doors??!! Where do people come up with these rules! Maybe you should knock on doors asking people to sign a petition to allow people to knock on doors...oh wait...

Well congrats on all your finds. That is a fine Vicky Penny!
    Last edited by Bucknut; 05-29-2016 at 01:02 PM.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Looks like a mighty fine weekend...Congratulations
    *Missouri* E-trac Sunray X1* Oldest 1836 1/4 Real* Oldest Silver 1853 Half Dime * Nicest 1861 Seated Liberty* Gold Pocket Watch* 1904 Worlds Fair Ring*

Some really nice finds-those coins are in exceptional condition! Very interesting tokens too.
    I don't know the whole story about the no knocking law, probably some old no solicitation ordinance being used after someone complained. Usually cops don't bother with calls like that unless they are really bored and have indigestion or something.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

You had some great finds, Don! That 1859 Canadian Large Cent is gorgeous! What a beautiful green patina!

That bar token is awesome too and it's in great shape!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Congrats on a nice hunt. I really like the token and old Canadian cent, WTG.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Nice tokens. Good you had the no change into a yes. I got one time where a "no because we also detect" turned into me being able to swing a little bit in the yard and possibly getting a few sites to hit with the owner as he has a detector.