Thread: Two Barbers: One small and one BIG

Two Barbers: One small and one BIG

I had a small window of opportunity to get out for a hunt this past Saturday, and I found these goodies along a sidewalk strip behind a grade school in a really old neighborhood in a town that was founded in 1835. I definitely plan to visit this site again, as I only had time to detect a small portion of it.

Incredibly, the very first signal I dug was a 1912-S Barber Half Dollar! You can imagine how my imagination ran wild regarding the potential of this site.

By the end of my short 2-hour hunt I had an 1897 Indian Head Cent, a 1900 Barber Dime, a Chrysler token, a Minneapolis-Moline fob, and an old lead bullet of some kind.

Name:  Pile-0528.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  78.7 KB

Here is the Barber Half before cleaning:
    Name:  Barber Half Dirty-Obv.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  68.3 KB
    Name:  Barber Half Dirty-Rev.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  71.1 KB

... and after cleaning:
    Name:  Barber Half Clean-Obv.jpg
Size:  138.4 KB
    Name:  Barber Half Clean-Rev.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  69.0 KB

I think this was a watch fob, but the loop is broken off the top. It looks like someone scratched the initials "ARH" on the back of it.
    Name:  MM Badge-Obv.jpg
Size:  111.9 KB
    Name:  MM Badge-Rev.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  120.4 KB

This old bullet was a nice surprise. The neighborhood I was hunting is quite old, so it may have some age to it. Can any of you experts out there tell me anything about the caliber or the age of it?
    Name:  Bullet.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  51.2 KB

This Chrysler token is quite large, about the size of a silver dollar. I'm not sure how old it is, but it cleaned up nicely.Name:  Token-Obv.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  69.1 KB
    Name:  Token-Rev.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  80.0 KB

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Great finds Tony. Congrats on the Barbers.
    The first thing I thought when I saw it was " Tony's hunting by railroad tracks again" . but I assume it was probably in a low spot that held water.
    Anyway, glad to see got out for a hunt and congrats on some very good finds.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

First signal was a Barber Half!?! Oh man! I would have difficulty not thinking about getting out of work somehow and visiting that place again! Hope you go back soon and find more...got to be a seated there hiding!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Wow! Awesome finds for any type of hunt, long or short! Congrats

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Really good finds Tony. The barber half is really nice especially being an S mint mark. We don't get many of those over here. The bullet looks Civil War era to me. I'll bet you can't wait to get back to that town! Best wishes and HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Elite Member
    Great finds Tony, nice to see you getting out. Hope to see a video. Great finds WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Man! Talk about action packed!
    All those goodies in only 2 hours of hunting!?! I'm sure your chomping at the bit to get back to this place. I know I would be!
    Great finds Tony! Specially on that big ol' Barber half!!

Make sure to keep us up to date on any future hunts from here would ya?
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    WTG Tony, congrats on the big silver and a nice hunt.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Nice score on the barber and the token. Did you clean it with the hot water/foil/baking soda method? That crud sure hid that S mint mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Great finds Tony. Congrats on the Barbers.
    The first thing I thought when I saw it was " Tony's hunting by railroad tracks again" . but I assume it was probably in a low spot that held water.
    Not near any railroad tracks, but the Barber Half was halfway down the slope of a ditch in a very wet area.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Did you clean it with the hot water/foil/baking soda method? That crud sure hid that S mint mark.
    Yes, I cleaned it with three cycles of that method. The sulfide was very stubborn.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Tony; Congrats on all your great keepers, the guy who commented on your Youtube video saying,
    "You're like the Mr. Rogers of metal detecting" made me laugh because it's true!
    *Missouri* E-trac Sunray X1* Oldest 1836 1/4 Real* Oldest Silver 1853 Half Dime * Nicest 1861 Seated Liberty* Gold Pocket Watch* 1904 Worlds Fair Ring*

Sweet finds, Tony! Don't know how I missed this, but better late...
    Nice cleaning of that half! Did you ever go back?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Did you ever go back?
    Yes, I went back to this site a few weeks later. Here is my post from that return trip. By the end of this hunt I felt I had pounded it pretty hard.

http://www.americandetectorist.com/f...nd-Some-Relics
    Lifetime totals:

Elite Member
    Great finds Tony, good luck on your return hunt (with more time hopefully. Happy Barbers WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes