Thread: Hat Badge

Hat Badge

Hi Guys,

Dug this a couple weeks ago and have been busy so just got around to posting it. I'm not sure exactly how old it is, but it was deep and I dug it in a nearby town which was founded in the 1850's.

Name:  20160510_210503.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  42.6 KB
    Name:  20160601_214610.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  77.1 KB
    Thanks for looking!

Cool! Is that sterling? looks like it. Kind of fancy for a livery hat badge...I like it!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Very nice. That item will display nicely. Hope you can get some info about it.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Very nice piece of Americana! I would suspect age wise to be around the 1880 to 1930 range although it could be earlier. Figure when they had horse drawn wagons delivering your Amazon purchases.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Looks like it cleaned up nicely!

So I found out Thomas Lewis Tullis, livery started in 1876. There is a good chance it belonged to him.
    The business of Davis City is represented in l886 by the followingfirms:

Adams Bros., Davis City Tidings; F.J. Arnold, drugs; Mrs. S.D. Adams,photographer; Gil. Blue, blacksmith; C.W. Browning, blacksmith; J.H.Bowman, postmaster; William Bradley, restaurant; J.H. Barber, physician;Bowman & Keshlear, general store; Citizens' Bank; Clark & Harvey,lumber; Clark Brothers, mill; F.M. Freeman, tinner and barber; S.R.Frazier, groceries and hardware; S.A. Gates & Bro., attorneys; J.B.Horner, physician and surgeon; E. Hynds, restaurant; J.P. Horton, HortonHouse; J.H. Kling, attorney; Mrs. J.W. Mather, millinery; McCullough &Sylvester, meat market; O.H. Parmalee, restaurant; J.H. Robinson, drugs;Mrs. Rasmussen, hotel; O.M. Severe, harness; L.E. Sweeten, Davis CityHotel; J.N. Sylvester, blacksmith and farm implements; A.M. & F.M.Severe, dry goods; Sutherlin & Shaffner, general store; W.W. Sparker,shoe shop; A.G. Scott & Son, general store; Mrs. J.M. Shepherd,millinery; Teale & Kramer, hardware; T.L. Tullis, livery; W.C. Wheeler,physician; C.L. Yost, drugs and groceries.

Here is Thomas's first wifes obit
    Died, Sunday, August 17th 1890, Mrs. Lide (sic, should be Lydie) E. TULLIS, wife of T. L. TULLIS, aged 45 years, 4 months and 25 days. Her maiden name was ENGLE and she was born April 22, 1845 in Mahoning county, Ohio. In early youth she moved with her father's family to Columbiana county Ohio, and lived there until the year 1869. On the 13th of May of that year she was joined in marriage to Mr. [Thomas Lewis] TULLIS and the following year moved to the vicinity of Lineville, Iowa. While there she lost both her parents by death. In 1876 she moved with her husband to Davis City in Decatur county. They moved to Mt. Ayr May 1st 1888, where she has been known as a quiet, suffering invalid for many months. She had been in feeble health much of her life, but in March 1888, she was overtaken by a severe hemorrage from the lungs, which led to great prostration much of the time since. She has been patiently waiting until her change should come. She leaves husband, daughter [Rene (TULLIS) GREY], son [Harvey TULLIS], one sister and three brothers to mourn her loss. In 1863 she united with a sect known as the Bible Christians, in Ohio. When coming to Mt. Ayr, she transferred her membership by letter to the Christian church. She was never able to wait on the ordinances.

Great research there.............you rock!

Wow! Great find and information!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

That is an interesting find and great research. I miss having something 'personal' that I could actually go back and research about.