Thread: Week's Finds

Week's Finds

Been on vacation for almost a week and got out for five 90min, break of day hunts. These items were found in one field. It's about four acres and adjacent to the existing 1812ish home. I found a 1650s coin, and a super old shoe buckle frame on the property some weeks back. The homeowner told me there is a late 17th-century cellar hole across the street. I know the owners there but haven't approached them as yet.

The oldest wheat is 1911. The dog tags are in great shape for their ages...the 1907 is my oldest tag by eight years. The carriage pole cap still has the wood in it. Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by OxShoeDrew; 06-23-2016 at 08:08 PM.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

WTG Drew!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Couple of very nice dog tags there Drew. A few dandies and what is that odd button with the rectangle??? I see you tried too sneak an ox knob by us too. Nice digs all around.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Thanks, Roger and Jeff! I was also wondering about that little button Jeff. Never saw one.
    I knew you'd spot the knob!...next time it will be more difficult. Like "Where's Waldo."
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Great collection of finds, looks like some great huntin'!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Wow, now that's a great haul!
    Love the Dog tags!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

That button and suspender clip next to it are interesting designs. You did well for that site. So the 1650's coin is in this pic? Is it that beat up not worth a close up? I think one of the two carriage brakes I found had wood in it as well. But I def know one of the ox knobs I found had the horn still in it. And you beat my oldest dog tag by 2 years.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

I appreciate the kind comments guys....Jim, I posted the 1650s Liard in another post as I found it some weeks ago. I'll have to search what carriage breaks look like as I don't recall ever seeing any...that doesn't mean I haven't
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    I'll have to search what carriage breaks look like as I don't recall ever seeing any...that doesn't mean I haven't
    Idk..I can't find one now but I def know someone showed a picture. Your piece there was at the end of a pole. The pole had to be attached to the carriage and the brass piece rubbed on the carriage wheels to act as brakes. Before they got all fancy with the brakes. lol.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Man Drew. You killed it on those old dog tags! Awesome! 1944 is my earliest. Be sure and check those old wheats...could be an S lurking under one of those dates!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Thanks John, I'll have to check all my wheats.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Idk..I can't find one now but I def know someone showed a picture. Your piece there was at the end of a pole. The pole had to be attached to the carriage and the brass piece rubbed on the carriage wheels to act as brakes. Before they got all fancy with the brakes. lol.
    Is that what those are? I thought they were just caps on the ends of poles on either side of the horse.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Is that what those are? I thought they were just caps on the ends of poles on either side of the horse.
    I could understand that and I am sure the poles did have some ends... but one side is flattened and worn down....from friction. Idr where I saw it but once someone said what it was, I googled the exact words and came up with the picture and it was a match.

I could understand that and I am sure the poles did have some ends... but one side is flattened and worn down....from friction. Idr where I saw it but once someone said what it was, I googled the exact words and came up with the picture and it was a match.
    Hmmmm.......you might be on to something there Jim. Like Drew I have a bunch of them and always assumed they were cart shaft tips. Now you've gone and challenged one of my long held beliefs
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I'm looking around the net for a definitive answer and I guess they are "shaft tips." They do indeed cover the poles on the sides of horses. I did find some pics of carriage breaks...I never thought about breaks on horse drawn vehicles...I thought they just yelled WOAH!
    Here's some breaks http://www.hansenwheel.com/store/wag...on-brakes.html
    Here's a shaft tip- http://www.chrysalisacres.com/index....roducts_id=715
    ...and a pic in use..http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/251937...-1/s-l1000.jpg
    Maybe they are flat on the down side from wear? Maybe they are made that way.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Lots of cool finds Drew!
    Congrats!
    I like the first picture. The lighting mixed with the patina of the finds is just perfect!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Drew , you never disappoint when it comes to the finds . you have some good connections and great places to detect . Now that i have a summer off we should get together sometime soon .

The shaft tip brass pieces have nothing to do with a "brake" on a carriage and were worn on one side from years of use either falling off a moving horse or off or constantly being laid onto the ground when not being used . Remember a metal cap piece would not make a good brake against an iron bannded wheel as it would not create enough friction especially from a small little brass piece. single horse carriages or "buggys" didn't have a brake you slowed the horse down to stop . If it had a brake and you applied it while a runaway horse acted up you would only tear apart the buggy/carriage wheel or worse . Wagons that required a a couple or team of animals to pull it had a braking system that required sets or shoes to equally rub on the rear wheels . like these pictures show .
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by del; 07-20-2016 at 11:49 AM.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album