Thread: Back into swinging mode. Some finds and a ring

Back into swinging mode. Some finds and a ring

Things been a little hectic lately. Crazy weather a few weeks ago and focusing on getting more permissions I haven't been out too much. There's a new roof getting put on the house (no, I'm paying someone to do it). Father's day weekend I don't think I got any swinging time. This weekend I did some later hunts and got a few items.

Friday I left work early to come home and check on things at the house and then go out detecting. I met up with someone from my club. First we went to a place I had seen once and knew it was older. Turns out there were two cellars out back. The owner took us out to the cellars, but in the time we didn't find too much. That and I was having trouble with the coinmaster GT his son was using setting my machine off. I had to go 30+ feet away to search. I did have the BH with me, but it was a ways back in the car. So we went out looking for a few cellars in a town I been checking lately, but a different area. It turned out to be more of a scouting mission than a swinging mission. I did find a rusty horse buckle with the two loops on the sides. And a plated spoon. Those are in the garage with no pics of them yet. He found his first tombac. The cellar was amassed with bottles. There had to be hundreds of them. Prob 50+ that were intact. I took a tiny medicine bottle. It was cool however I knew it wasn't too old. It has the thread for a cap and a lot had the Federal Law..blah blah...refilling words imprinted.
    Name:  Tiny Bottle.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  32.0 KB
    Saturday was the time I put more effort in. I must have walked over 6 miles total. I went in search of the cellar that was off the road which had a 'driveway' on the old map. The overgrown road was on the other side of the stream than in the map. I had done things like overlaying old map to the aerial view and measuring from old map and putting an arc on the map to figure out a location. On the aerial view I did see a small structure, it was kinda near, but further away than it should be. The only defining thing was a few older trees with a few piles of stones, one long dead, and a few stones up near the cabin. The cabin was on private property so I just returned to where I expected it, and only found a random stone wall and no other signs. So I walked quite a ways to the other old road and walked down it some more. I did come upon some people on quads and dirt bikes. There were a bunch. Eventually I got to one cellar. I had to take a pic of it from the road. The ground cover gave it away. The spot was trashy with barrel bands and iron overloads everywhere. So after a touching checking even the outskirts of the yard trying to find something that was worth while to dig, I eventually tried to move on. Turns out the road is flooded. Its flooded in the aerial too. So I shoulda known. There was a cellar just beyond but I wasn't gonna walk thru it.
    Name:  Cellar pic.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  114.9 KBName:  Flooded road.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  93.8 KBName:  Odd tree knots.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  75.8 KBName:  Graves.jpg
Size:  90.3 KB
    I turned around and went back towards the car hoping to find the cellars I passed. I can see why I overlooked one. It was unique. It looked as if there were two barns cut into the hill looking toward the road. One was even hard to tell it was a foundation cuz one side was actually bedrock. It just happened to be the same size as the other one. The cellar was on the top of the hill just behind the barns. It was a small one too. Well, the 91-93 VDIs were annoying me cuz they all turned out to be those tobacco tins. On the hill side I picked up this Waterville manufacturing folding knife made in Waterbury. They were made from 1843 to 1913, but the later ones were wood handle with the shield. So I figure it was closer to the 1843 mark. I scored two identical buttons within a few feet of each other. Then another flat button nearby. I had gone over the area by the well once, but a second look I got a tiny cuff button with some gilt still left. The duplicate buttons are the double gilt type. The skeeters and horseflies were pissing me off. I had sprayed myself, but maybe I sweated it off from the long walk in the heat. The last hole I was lucky it turned out to be a fatty. It's kinda toasty, but I know it can only be one of the 6 years they were minted. And it has less chance being the '64 as that year they also minted the thinner and the '64 L variety.
    Name:  Crusty Fatty.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  131.9 KBName:  Crusty IH.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  148.7 KBName:  Buttons 6-25.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  112.4 KBName:  Cuff Button Gilt.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  98.3 KBName:  Waterville Waterbury Knife.jpg
Size:  107.9 KBName:  Buckle.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  63.6 KB
    Sunday I went for a shorter hunt in the afternoon after doing some honey-do things. I slapped the small coil on the new machine and headed out. It was a place I had hunted quite a few times before. This time I managed a few more finds. In the area where I got the first 'regular' sized crotal, I got now a small buckle with the leather attached. Right near a tree I got a ring with a shield. It is quite possibly a colonial ring. No one has confirmed yet, but I def know after cleaning the ring turned reddish and the shield grey. Two dissimilar metals. That'll be my first. How many bottles do you spot in the pic?
    Name:  Ring shield dug.jpg
Size:  37.3 KBName:  Ring Dug.jpg
Size:  40.1 KBName:  Ring tilt.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  36.1 KBName:  Ring Cleaned.jpg
Size:  45.2 KBName:  Ring location.jpg
Size:  114.6 KBName:  Bottles.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  144.6 KB
    Turns out to be quite a few....
    Name:  All bottles.jpg
Size:  87.9 KB
    The buff came from around this big tree. I didn't know what to make of it, but I knew it was a coin. Just the big difference in surface by the buffalo threw me off at first. Turns out it has a visible date: 1930. And this was the tree where I pulled up my last war nickel...having a lower VDI than this buff. The latch like piece might be from a grandfather clock, for the gears. Idk but its brass. It seriously looks like it was two pieces but slotted together. And the thumb nut might have been from a watch as I think I found a watch cover near this tree one of the previous times I was there.
    Name:  Big Maple with Tpro.jpg
Size:  102.8 KBName:  30 Buffalo.jpg
Size:  87.1 KBName:  Finds 6-26.jpg
Size:  89.1 KBName:  Bone.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  82.7 KB
    This little Indian came from the permission house I got the Chinese cash coin at.
    Name:  Toy indian.jpg
Size:  93.6 KB
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Man, you got a huge assortment of finds. I can't remember anybody ever posting a Buff from a Cellar Hole or the surrounding woods.
    It always seems harder to get out in early summer because of the " Honey Do list " . At least for me.
    Congrats on all the cool finds!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Nice assortment of finds with the ring being the best imo. Always nice to come across an old bottle dump even if they're earlier 20th century. Usually they'll give up a few keepers. Congrats.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Congrats on the fatty and assortment! That indian might be collectable. Love the "blob" too
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Nice find with the fatty and the buffalo! That ring is cool too
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

I was told the latch piece is actually a hammer lock for a musket. Never found the hammer plate to see if the hole is a semi circle. This has a cylinder with a flat side... Could be..

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Man, you got a huge assortment of finds. I can't remember anybody ever posting a Buff from a Cellar Hole or the surrounding woods.
    It always seems harder to get out in early summer because of the " Honey Do list " . At least for me.
    Congrats on all the cool finds!!
    I think Davey got a buff the one and only time I was out with him and Todd. I put some things on hold during summer so I can get out and swing. The only good thing for the lack of rain lately is that I wont need to mow the lawn this week. Lol. Thanks, Don.

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Nice assortment of finds with the ring being the best imo. Always nice to come across an old bottle dump even if they're earlier 20th century. Usually they'll give up a few keepers. Congrats.
    John
    I think I like the ring too. I could try for a better pic of it cleaned. It may not be gold or silver, but being 150-200 years old makes it intrinsically worth. Most of the bottles I used to collect were early 1900s. Ball Mason were turn of the century. I have only a few that were cork top.
    Thanks, john.

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Congrats on the fatty and assortment! That indian might be collectable. Love the "blob" too
    IH... u think its a '59? Ive already got one of the '59. Maybe I can put it under magnification and try to get a date. Thanks, Drew.
    Lol.. the blob. I know aluminum, like at the trashy cellar that I scored the CW bit boss and KG2 old bust variety (toasty so no date) were sounding like silver dimes and were smaller than this. So I know its not aluminum and I know it's not lead or iron or brass. Mystery blob.
    Last edited by MangoAve; 06-28-2016 at 06:32 AM.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Awesome finds & man you musta been dog tired from all that trekking. What's the history of the cemetery or was it a family plot?
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Some scary lookin' trees there Jim. Nice bunch of finds. I'd be happy with that little ring and toy warrior.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Nice find with the fatty and the buffalo! That ring is cool too
    Thanks, Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    Awesome finds & man you musta been dog tired from all that trekking. What's the history of the cemetery or was it a family plot?
    Thanks, Rog. I was def tired otw back to the car. I was huffin' and puffin'. Only thing is I text the significant other that I was tired from the hike. What I got for a response was "why bother detecting if you are gonna wear yourself out like this?" Umm.... 'cuz I enjoy detecting and exercise is good for the health. I just didn't plan the extra hiking; it just happened that way. Yeah... I am surprised that the road this was off of wasn't on the old map at all. They are def for a family grave site as the obelisk is for the father while the round one in front is the wife. I think the little one is the child. I couldn't read the cracked one leaning up against the tree. I believe the death date on the obelisk is 1840. There were a few targets behind it so I think it was added to a field.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Some scary lookin' trees there Jim. Nice bunch of finds. I'd be happy with that little ring and toy warrior.
    Them trees be looking weird. Remind you of the tree In poltergeist? Thanks, Jeff. Finally with the toy injun I have a toy to enter into the club's fotm. Something that isn't a hotwheels. lol.