Thread: Road trip, several towns across the state.

Road trip, several towns across the state.

Hi all,
    Had Tuesday off so decided to make a trip about halfway across the state and hit up a bunch of tiny towns hoping to find someplace that wasn't already sucked dry. As I found out though, even the smallest and most remote unincorporated hamlet had signs of recent digging. Rarely was there even a pull tab left to be found! Despite this, it was still a fun day and got a few nice finds.
    One town park we chatted with a couple kids there, and one claimed to have lost a buffalo nickel in the play area some time back, and asked if I could look for it. Well, didn't find the buff among the woodchips but I did get about $6 in quarters! Not far away I also unearthed a tootsie toy "Pony Boy" cap gun which research shows is from the 40s and 50s era. I'm not convinced of this as photos of the complete cap gun shows the red tip, which was only required since 1989.
    Among the finds from the rest of the trip, I also found a 30-06 she'll case, 12 Ga. headstamp, odd looking button, and a brass hoop. On the way home with my battery indicator already in the red and almost dark I stopped at one last park. As usual, little to be found but a heart off a necklace or pendant. But in the curb strip next to the car about a foot away from quitting for the day I got a nice deep 12-36. Couldn't resist this target, hoping for at least a wheatie if not an IH, so down I dug. Incredibly, it was over a foot down when I found a brass cosmetic lid. Looking it up, I found it listed in a Meyers druggists handbook from 1909 as being Houbigants talc.
    The rest of the finds shown are from an earlier hunt at a local park which include a 44 wheatie, half of a bracelet, and a hollow sterling ring.

Name:  20160629_184033.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  26.6 KB

Name:  20160629_184111.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  19.3 KB

Name:  20160629_184355.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  29.9 KB

Name:  20160629_184053.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  35.6 KB

Name:  20160629_184213.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  24.3 KB
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Looks like you had fun anyway Chris!

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by groundhog53946 View Post
    Looks like you had fun anyway Chris!
    Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk
    Yes I did, thank you! But I still need to find a place that hasn't seen a detector yet. Think that's going to be a real challenge in this part of the country. Maybe far SW or NE corners? Guess I'll just keep hunting till I either find the sweet spot run out of road!
    Equipment:

Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime

Is that ring really hollow? Well keep at it...eventually you will find a virgin park or at least one that is not devoid of targets.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Nice! I've found busted toy cap guns but none with the plastic still on the grip.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I wonder why a kid would be holding a buff...? Nice job trying to find it....made battery money too! You'll hit some nice areas soon!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    I wonder why a kid would be holding a buff...? Nice job trying to find it....made battery money too! You'll hit some nice areas soon!
    No idea why the kid had a buffalo with him in the park. Sounded kinda fishy to me, but I was hoping anyway.
    But anyway, planning a route about 2 to 3 hours SW for Saturday. Couple very old towns out that way. One with an old courthouse surrounded by park still shown on an 1870 too map. High hopes for that place! Plus have a few remote secondary towns to try.
    Equipment:

Best of luck Chris.....I've never driven that far....you are hardcore!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew