Thread: I‘m about to set foot on the path of meal detecting..

I‘m about to set foot on the path of meal detecting..

Metal detecting is so cool that i want to try it.I read the blog and learn something about it.Do you have some experience to share with me.

Gosh Jeremy, There are many, many things to consider when getting into our hobby (not sport). My first thoughts are what do you hope to find? Coins, relics, gold nuggets, etc.? Where do you plan to hunt? Land, water? The machine you should get will be determined by your answers. Then you should consider what your budget is. That will also determine what kind of machine you get.

Last but not least is what kind of research are you willing to put in. Trust me when I say all these wonderful things we find don't just jump out of the ground at us. Lots of research, exploring, and just plain dumb luck goes toward making a successful detectorist. No matter which machine you get there will be a learning curve. You will have to learn how to use your machine and understand it's "language" and you will have to learn how to find good spots to detect. Those who think they will start finding gold and silver right off the bat are the ones who get disappointed and quit. Those who hang in there for a few months and learn are the ones who eventually start finding the good stuff. Best wishes on your journey, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Daddy digger is exactly right! YouTube is a great tool to help you decide what to get and how to use your detector. AND if you can find a hunting buddy to give you a hand can be great too!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar
    Well me bouy read the code of ethics for the hobby. Dig and they will come!
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!