Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: del has resigned as administrator at American Detectorist

Unhappy del has resigned as administrator at American Detectorist

To every thing there is a season...

I'm afraid that I have the unenviable job of announcing that del has resigned as administrator of this forum. I cannot stress enough how much Dan will be missed as a staff member here, as he was responsible for most of the day-to-day running of the forum. There is a lot of work involved in keeping the banner up to date, creating the monthly best finds polls, posting the winners, updating the awards threads, etc., and Dan did the bulk of that work.

I still consider myself a "newbie" to this forum compared to Dan, he had already been an administrator for a good while when I joined in February of 2011. To say that I have learned a lot from Dan is a vast understatement, and I suspect that most of the members here would say the same.

The good news is this Dan will still be a member of this forum and will continue to share his expertise, as well as his amazing finds. It would be difficult to name a more experienced and knowledgeable detectorist than Dan, and we are very fortunate to have him here.

Perhaps Dan will resume his role as administrator sometime down the road. As far as I'm concerned, the door will always be open.

We would like to thank Dan immensely for the incredible amount of work he has put into this forum, and we wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

I'm sorry to here that Dan is Resigning as administrator, I'm sure he has his reasons. I am happy however to here he's not going anywhere. he's always been one the first ones to help identify our "whatzitz.
    His knowledge of those New England Coppers is amazing as well. He was a tremendous help to Alec and I when we visited Connecticut this past spring,. I wish him well!!

As far as you Tony, I have no doubt that you will do a great job as well.
    Best of luck!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

It's been a pleasure to have Dan as administrator, and i also have been lucky enough to glean some of his extensive knowledge. I'm just glad he will still remain a member, as his input is very welcome.
    Thanks Dan for your service to the site!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Dan, your years of work here on the forum have not gone unnoticed. As Tony stated your work behind the scenes is probably not known by many here. I for one can't express my gratitude to you for id'ing the great finds our members have made. I know I made some finds and had no idea of what I had until you responded to the post.

You definitely deserve a break from the duties.

Looking forward doing some field hunting with you in the future.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Dan has been a "treasure" around here for years now. His tireless efforts helped nurture this forum from its inception. His knowledge of relics and coins is legendary...but something you may not know about Dan is his prowess in the woods-
    He can detect all day and into the night.
    He seldom gets lost.
    Infrequently stops for food/drink (I think he sustains himself by eating tree bark)
    He finds cellar holes in the field that mortals pass by.
    He has more patience with a site than anybody I've seen.
    He has found more of everything than can be imagined.
    He reminds me of a relic shark...a perfect relic finding machine.

Dan, we are all sincerely grateful for your hard work with American Detectorist...I hope you plan on staying around just to enjoy the company, without having to worry about the endless tasks. We'll have to get out soon, Drew
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Your Admin-ing skills will be missed Dan, but glad to hear you will be here posting and sharing your digs!

You are one of the original AD Members! Take care!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

I must say the dark cloud that had descended as I read this, lifted quickly when I got to the fourth paragraph. Thank you Dan for all your forum work. And I am awfully glad that you will be sticking around.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I'm speechless !!!! What can a guy say after reading posts like this up above . I'm just taken back by all the very very generous words Tony , Don , Chris , Al , Drew , Ron and Jeff !!! Thank you all !!!!

My decision to step down was not an easy one and I felt compelled to share a couple of reasons why. These last couple of months have been very stressful emotionally and filled with much anxiety . My youngest Daughter Shannon

is poised to leave the "nest" and go live on a college campus in a month and I've been dreading it for some time . To add to that this past June 30th I've been permanently laid from my job of 24 years and if you've been in this position you know just how unsettling it can be , especially when you were the insurance carrier for the family , a mortgage and two kids in college . I stepped down as I wanted to focus more of my time now (this summer) with my two girls before they start up school again . To also pursue what retraining or schooling necessary for myself to acquire a desire job with decent pay and benefits . I also felt that if I stayed on as an administrator now with the above distractions I mentioned I would be neglecting my duties here at American Detectorist , the owners (Angie , Angel , the great staff ) and you members all deserve better. What free time I do have my wife (Suzette) encourages detecting , I find that detecting now really takes the edge and tension off this stressful time (my says I'm not as "crabby" , anyways ) . I never intended to permanently leave the forum as I have way to many great friends here who seem more like family to me . Once my life returns to some kind of "normal" routine again I do plan on asking for my old position (if they will have me , again ) just when that might be is uncertain at the moment. I do know that I left the forum in very capable hands , if you could have only been in some of the conversations on the administration side of this forum you'd know there are some great people running this forum who are always looking out for its members .

So this is not good bye by any means but "hello" in a new temporary role !

Thank you again AD .

Dan
    Last edited by del; 07-15-2016 at 04:59 PM.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

you have been great since i have been here on this forum lately i have been unable to do much i have trouble walking much and can only be on my feet for a short time i have to say i always look forward to your posts and your expertise on helping all of us id things we find a few years back i thought i had found a belt buckle but you ided it right away as a civil war breastplate it made the find of the month and was in the calender one if not my greatest find id made by you you have been invaluable to all of us and i will wait for your return take all of the time you need and get back on track just so you know we all are behind you and await your return

Hey Dan. It's a good thing to be able to step back, take a breath & spend time with your family. My oldest is going into HS & my youngest in 7th Grade. I've always said that kids are only kids for a short period of time and are adults so much longer. Better to be a good Dad and spend as much time with them before they leave the nest.

As far as the job, I have been there 2x as well & it's what got me into the hobby in the 1st place to fill the void of having nowhere to go when I wasn't busy searching the job posting boards. It's unsettling to be in that position and I hated not knowing what the future would bring and how was I going to pay the mortgage, car payments...etc... What line of work are you in?
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Thank you Pokie , Its been a lot of fun watching this forum grow over the years .

Roger , I appreciate the kind words my friend .
    I worked in a huge 1 million square foot distribution facility , specifically in the "receiving and warehouse" area . The warehouse had 8 automated stacker cranes to load and unload product from over 50 aisles . I started out unloading trucks with every imaginable piece of machinery (forklift trucks , slip sheet trucks , reach fork trucks , standing operator picking trucks , ect.) if its seen in a warehouse or receiving dock i probably have a license to drive it . The last few years I have been at the controls and operating all 8 of the automated cranes by computer these are large (85 feet tall and 8 to 12 tons ) two mast platforms that ride on a single train rail.

Dan

Dan,
    I got laid off from my job of 16 years a little over 4 years ago. I know exactly how you are feeling. Very scary!!
    You know what though, it all worked out , just as it will for you. Hang in there, enjoy your family ( maybe detect a little ) and before you know it things will be better.
    Best of luck, Don
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar
    Is a tough job and have a lot to do that folks don't see. trust someone has taken up the mantra!
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

Thank you Dan.

Your efforts have helped to make this forum one of the best.

I know from experience it is difficult to let our children spread their wings. Trust in the wisdom you have shared with them and trust your children to be the good people you know they are.

Good thoughts and prayers for you and your family during the speedy transition into the next phase of your life.
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Dan,
    I got laid off from my job of 16 years a little over 4 years ago. I know exactly how you are feeling. Very scary!!
    You know what though, it all worked out , just as it will for you. Hang in there, enjoy your family ( maybe detect a little ) and before you know it things will be better.
    Best of luck, Don
    Thanks Don I appreciate you sharing that .

Quote Originally Posted by leslie(nova scotia) View Post
    Is a tough job and have a lot to do that folks don't see. trust someone has taken up the mantra!
    Yes Les , there are great people working behind the scenes here .

Quote Originally Posted by Beartoe View Post
    Thank you Dan.

Your efforts have helped to make this forum one of the best.

I know from experience it is difficult to let our children spread their wings. Trust in the wisdom you have shared with them and trust your children to be the good people you know they are.

Good thoughts and prayers for you and your family during the speedy transition into the next phase of your life.
    Thank you for the good thoughts and prayers Beartoe !

I've been busy with the new house and job and not on here as much, and just found this thread. Thanks to Dan for all the attention he's given to this forum, and all the incredible knowledge of such a variety of artifact. I'm glad he's sticking around.

And thanks, Tony, for for stepping up. I think we're still in pretty good hands here!
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

I'm actually still in shock that Dan is no longer an administrator...

I echo every word that Tony (and others) has said. Your contributions to this forum both as a member/mentor and as part of the staff have been invaluable. I don't know what we will do without you.

I am sorry for the issues you are dealing with right now Dan, and I hope things improve. You know what they say... sometimes when one door closes....

I can't even begin to thank you for all you have done. You are and always will be part of our family.

Angie
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

sorry to hear you stepped down as the resident AD nerd.. and you know i say that in the nicest possible way mate for you have been an inspiration not only to me but im guessing everybody here.
    your knowledge on relics,coins and all other stuff find related leaves us all agog !!! but hey! you will still be here when one of us finds some nondescript piece of metal that looks like its been bashed in with a mallet, only for you to tell us its a very rare.... piece of metal bashed in with a mallet !!! lol.
    joking aside, im sorry to hear you lost your job of 24 years, that blows chunks big style....
    as you know i work for wholefoods and as the north Atlantic butchery champion i do have some pull within the company and indeed know a lot of the big guys at our Cheshire distribution center, i would be honored to put in a good word for you if this sounds attractive to you ?.
    private message me if you want to chat about it and i can put you on the right path.
    cheers mate.

I wish you and your family all the best Dan . You cant keep a good man down and you are truly a good man .

Elite Member
    Thanks for all your years of service and upkeep on the forum. Quite frankly Thanks probably isn't enough but I am sure everyone has appreciated your efforts. I hope all goes well with family and your job search. THANKS Wisconsin Digger
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes