Thread: Awesome Colonial Trashpit diggin in the lowcountry of SC!

Awesome Colonial Trashpit diggin in the lowcountry of SC!

Down in SC for a bit, and although its hot, its not stopping me from digging! Here are two mornings worth of results from digging and sifting my Colonial Trashpit site in the lowcountry-

Ended up with 267 pipe stems and bowls! Notably one is marked TD, Thomas Dormer, who started in the pipe making buisness in London in 1755, and one bowl is totally intact, a first from this site! Also dug part of a kettle with the handle, and a colonial shutterdog, which would've held the shutters open on a colonial house. Dug a bunch of bottle bases and tops, sadly none complete but thats the nature of this pit!

I also dug some crystal/glass goblet stems and bases, one which I was able to reconstruct. One item that almost passed me by was the little half wig curler, thought it was a pipe stem at first. This is the third wig curler from this pit. There was also a ton of brick in this pit, which I stacked up as I was digging.

While I was scraping away at the sides, I saw an intact base of some sort of cup! I slowly eased it out and saw that I had an awesome english slipware cup, and saw more pieces of it in the hole! I had to reconstruct it a bit, but it is a posset pot, a term which I knew nothing about until I researched a bit. It is likely early 18th century, a similar one was found in CT by archeologists and they said that it was very outdated by the 1790s, the context it was found in. Posset was a drink made from curdled milk with ale or wine- which doesn't sound that great to me haha!

This was the first of some artifacts I attempted to reconstruct. A Teacup, bowl base, and even a GR Georgius Rex (King George) westerwald stoneware jug that I was able to reconstruct! A GR jug was high on my bucket list, and I'm very happy to be able to own a piece of history like that!

I also recovered an intricate clay marble, the second one from this site. This one is swirled brown and white and almost looks like polished wood! With items in this pit and the dating of pipe stem bores that I have done, it dates somewhere between the early 1700s and late 1700s.

Some other non metallic items of interest that came out of the pit were these two matching lion face and paw parts from a teapot or something along those lines. If anyone has an idea what it may be please let me know, thanks! I also got a piece of ceramic with a triangular stamp in it, looks composed of material similar to the bellarmine jug part I dug here in December but then again may be something totally different. I dug plenty of ceramic fragments including creamware, westerwald stoneware, china, staffordshire, slipware, and more! There are a bunch of lovely green, brown and smoky colored pieces that go to the same vessel, hoping to reconstruct that one! Found some pieces with faces on them, which is always cool! One even has the letters T A T. Wish I knew what the whole thing said.EDIT - On second thought maybe it says TAX? This site played a role in the revolution also for the revolutionary side so maybe its political? Or maybe i'm thinking to far in to things haha.

Luckily I brought my detector too to detect! I found 4 buttons, one with the backmark of William Cleaver, who was a bishop in Britain in the 18th century. I know of certain backmarks with names of famous individuals commemorating events, but this seems unlikely to me, so maybe an unlisted button manufacture. This button seems to date later than most artifacts in the pit, and was in surface dirt so may have been a later drop. I got three rosettes, one is a nice bullseye. Also got some brass tacks, two brass rings, two musketballs, one chewed, one fired, a tag or furniture eschutcheon with leaves on the scalloped edges, bale seal, and some large brass piece.

And that was about it! Had a blast and can't wait to do it again! Thanks for reading this long winded account! Happy hunting everyone!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

Wow. Amazing!!! Was it easy to locate the trash pit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are some incredible finds! Now you just need to find a jigsaw puzzle master and a gallon of superglue to reconstruct all those pieces!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Very interesting read Luke, thanks! Would they paint the marbles or just left them alone? Congrats!...I need a posset.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Fantastic finds. That must have been a lot of fun in spite of the labor. Can't say I have ever seen a marble like that posted. Very cool.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

What a great haul Luke! I can imagine the sweat equity you put into finding all that in the Low Country heat. I should know, I'm a Palmetto State native by birth. Looks like you've got some good jigsaw puzzles to work on in the coming months. Man, that clay marble surely is sweet. Congrats!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

So many interesting finds.....so many pieces.......love, love, love that marble. Waiting for your response about how hard was it to find the trash pit????
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by owena1 View Post
    Wow. Amazing!!! Was it easy to locate the trash pit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks! This was found on a ton of land, I used my detector the first two times and found lots of colonial artifacts, and one time I found a dense iron patch, saw that an animal had dug a hole and there were two pipe stems and pottery, dug a test hole and then realized the scope of the pit.
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    "Swords into plowshares"

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Those are some incredible finds! Now you just need to find a jigsaw puzzle master and a gallon of superglue to reconstruct all those pieces!
    Thanks! Yep the supergluing has commeced! Haha! XD
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    "Swords into plowshares"

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Very interesting read Luke, thanks! Would they paint the marbles or just left them alone? Congrats!...I need a posset.
    Thanks! Nope that was the natural clay, this ones design is a pyschical component of its clay composition! Pretty cool that they made thjngs like this 250 plus years ago!
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    "Swords into plowshares"

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Fantastic finds. That must have been a lot of fun in spite of the labor. Can't say I have ever seen a marble like that posted. Very cool.
    Thanks! Yeah i'm always in need of a long shower afterwards, its hard work but well worth it!
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    "Swords into plowshares"

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    So many interesting finds.....so many pieces.......love, love, love that marble. Waiting for your response about how hard was it to find the trash pit????
    Thanks!!I'm so happy to have recovered the marble! I outlined the process in the other response- but basically it was by chance and listening to iron hits and finding an iron patch!
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    "Swords into plowshares"

the shear volume of items is mind blowing Lucas , you must show us your sifting set up some time . I know that i would be very interested in seeing it and the general location of the pit in relation to the actual home site . you plan on making a complete clay pipe out of all the pieces (i've seen it done and it looked great too) .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

That's a lot of stuff from a pit. I like the button and the marble.
    In reference to Dan's post, I think I did see you in one or two of Isaac's Youtube vids altho idr if it showed the 'machine' and technique. I was intrigued to find clam shells at places. Digging in the woods by the back corner of the cellar were some pottery shards and clam shells. Maybe 8ft from the cellar lip at most. And even right by the front steps of an 1820. 3ft away, if that.. I do have two that I know of if you are ever up this way in CT that I found trash pits and you could sift. The cellars are semi-trashy but I have managed a few keepers from the cellars themselves. (One is amassed with iron).
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Sweet lookin bowl! Love the digs that seems so cool to do!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    the shear volume of items is mind blowing Lucas , you must show us your sifting set up some time . I know that i would be very interested in seeing it and the general location of the pit in relation to the actual home site . you plan on making a complete clay pipe out of all the pieces (i've seen it done and it looked great too) .

Dan
    Thanks! My sifting set up is just a sifter I made and I typically have a bucket and methodically sift. And I use my detector in the base of the pit and in dirt. This site was actually a tavern- which accounts for the volume. I have a prototype I made from this pit last year with a half bowl- but I'll attempt a good recontruction with these!
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    "Swords into plowshares"

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    That's a lot of stuff from a pit. I like the button and the marble.
    In reference to Dan's post, I think I did see you in one or two of Isaac's Youtube vids altho idr if it showed the 'machine' and technique. I was intrigued to find clam shells at places. Digging in the woods by the back corner of the cellar were some pottery shards and clam shells. Maybe 8ft from the cellar lip at most. And even right by the front steps of an 1820. 3ft away, if that.. I do have two that I know of if you are ever up this way in CT that I found trash pits and you could sift. The cellars are semi-trashy but I have managed a few keepers from the cellars themselves. (One is amassed with iron).
    Thanks so much! Yep That pit is the one that I dug for this post! it is very intriguing, and in this area shell middens show up a bit. They really end up everywhere haha!
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    "Swords into plowshares"

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    Sweet lookin bowl! Love the digs that seems so cool to do!
    Thank you!
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    "Swords into plowshares"