Thread: Couple of hunts

Couple of hunts

Hey all this first picture was from a short hunt about a couple of weeks ago . nothing spectacular find wise but some interesting things . Its been brutally hot here in New England for an extended period now and with not much rain to speak of and needless to say the dirt under the heavy leaf cover in the woods is getting
    to resemble talcum powder!!

The large iron vintage brush axe was pretty cool to find .

My last two hunts with Trooper Bri have yielded some finds but haven't been as productive due to the dry hot weather and finding cellars that have been very recently detected . Last week we hit 4 cellars and they all looked like they were detected the day before , freshly dug plugs all over the place .

I did manage a few buttons a shoe buckle chape & tongue ad a copper someone missed. the lesson here is go slow when you are around many dug plugs at a site , chances are they missed something. well this copper was barely 2 inches and screamed at me to find it !!

I could tell it was in rough shape and getting any kind of detail would be a challenge

Ok Al here is your chance to id a Ct. copper (level=expert)

This past Saturday Brian and I was only scheduled to do a half a day because of the high temps , so 2 to 3 cellars were in order with minimal hiking in the heat.

The first site took us about an hour and half to find because i apparently gps the wrong clump of hemlocks . I may have been a bit tired and tagged a similar looking group of trees on a nearby hill. OOOpps Well we finally get to the site and it was a beautiful one , by that I mean it was away from any dirt roads or marked trails , no signs to give it away or rock walls and huge trees. Low and behold it was BEAT TO DEATH !!!!! I pulled a measly two buttons and Brian the same after a few hours .Very disappointed we looked for another site .

On the way to that site we drove right past a tiny little cellar that has been detected by many . we gave it about an hour and in that time i pulled up a large dandy button and an Indian .

not thinking much about it (because they are usually pretty spent and toasty) i put it in my pocket .

we drove as far as we could to hit our last site , it was late morning and the heat was getting pretty bad . What makes it worse is my two layers of clothes I wear normal jeans and shirt over my thin layer bug suit . This site was a nice large cellar and only a few hundred yards away from a house .

Right away i get a great hit very coin like only to pull up a large thick brass plate , maybe a pull handle from desk drawer but bent up. a few feet away another good hit , this time its a escutcheon plate from a piece of old furniture. Both items look period and are a great sign , before the day got to hot and we left .

The Indian I tooth picked quickly to get a date and was nicely surprised to see and older date ( I was thinking it was a hunter's drop around 1900)

Then i noticed it was cleaning up nicely with great detail too .

As I was admiring this Indian and its patina it reminded me of the "Mid-West" Boys (Tony , Dave , Don & Al , Chris and Tim ) and their always beautiful Indians they dig up and show off !! Heres to you guys !!

Thanks all for looking !

Dan
    Last edited by del; 07-24-2016 at 07:14 PM.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

That's a beautiful Indian Dan! Great cleaning job too, better results than I can get. Guess it's all the practice on those colonial coppers? Just wondering, is there an "L" on the ribbon below the last fearher? Looks like there may be one in the pic, but it's a bit blurry. If so, that's a rare variety and could be worth a lot in that condition. Either way, great score!
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

Good to see you getting out Dan and rescuing some finds from the pounded sites. Sharp IHP.

The CT is easy. Miller 67.L.2
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

That's an oldie Indian to be in such good shape! You also must be in pretty good form to be working that hard in all this heat!! I've been strolling in the parks this week Good work!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    That's a beautiful Indian Dan! Great cleaning job too, better results than I can get. Guess it's all the practice on those colonial coppers? Just wondering, is there an "L" on the ribbon below the last fearher? Looks like there may be one in the pic, but it's a bit blurry. If so, that's a rare variety and could be worth a lot in that condition. Either way, great score!
    Chris looking at the coin under a good magnifying glass it almost looks like there was an "L" but was removed but i don't think that is possible . There is no "L" visible that i see . Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Good to see you getting out Dan and rescuing some finds from the pounded sites. Sharp IHP.

The CT is easy. Miller 67.L.2
    Is there such a Miller example ??? I hope so I would be a rich man and could retire now . Thanks Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    That's an oldie Indian to be in such good shape! You also must be in pretty good form to be working that hard in all this heat!! I've been strolling in the parks this week Good work!!
    Actually Drew the heat is kicking my butt and can't wait for fall and cooler temps . We need rain very badly too! We need to get out soon ! Thanks

Nice bunch of finds Dan, and agree, the heat makes it tough. Man that Indian is in a condition rarely seen in these parts, at least from the woods. Sometimes you'll find 'em in better condition in yards, but not the woods. Congrats!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Lots of great finds but that indian is special! She even looks like she is pucking up to kiss you! Congrats!
    Last edited by Bucknut; 07-25-2016 at 10:15 AM.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Congrats on pulling those nice finds in this blistering heat, Dan! You had to work for them!

That 1864 Indian Head is a beauty! It must have been brand new when it was dropped. Gorgeous!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Great hunts Dan. At least you got rewarded for hunting in that heat. That 64 Indian is a stunner. Great Find!
    Every time I see one of the Coppers posted, I want to drive back out there. So Cool!!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Dan, yes that IH is fantastic looking. Yes the heat and humidity are brutal and it looks like we will be in the 90's for about a week.....

As far as ID'ing that copper I am going to agree with Jeff.......
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Nice scores, Dan. Idk.. I'm finding the woods to be a tad cooler than the open areas cuz it's shaded. Now I realize why most people don't do the backpack's while detecting... omg does it just trap the body heat. We both got a nice 1864's this year, but Roger said mine is an L. Still yours is worth quite a bit more than face value in that condition.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

Atta baby Dan! Some real good finds! Heats been wicked bad in New England recently. Hoping it cools down soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Nice bunch of finds Dan, and agree, the heat makes it tough. Man that Indian is in a condition rarely seen in these parts, at least from the woods. Sometimes you'll find 'em in better condition in yards, but not the woods. Congrats!

John
    Thank you John , I hope your staying cool up in your parts .

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    Lots of great finds but that indian is special! She even looks like she is pucking up to kiss you! Congrats!
    She was a nice and unexpected find Bucknut , Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Congrats on pulling those nice finds in this blistering heat, Dan! You had to work for them!

That 1864 Indian Head is a beauty! It must have been brand new when it was dropped. Gorgeous!

Thank you Tony , I only wish I found more of them that resemble the ones you guys out there find .

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Great hunts Dan. At least you got rewarded for hunting in that heat. That 64 Indian is a stunner. Great Find!
    Every time I see one of the Coppers posted, I want to drive back out there. So Cool!!!
    Don , I would be honored to hunt with you and Al anytime , Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Dan, yes that IH is fantastic looking. Yes the heat and humidity are brutal and it looks like we will be in the 90's for about a week.....

As far as ID'ing that copper I am going to agree with Jeff.......
    Al , my streak of finding crappy Ct. coppers continues . Just the way it goes sometimes. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Nice scores, Dan. Idk.. I'm finding the woods to be a tad cooler than the open areas cuz it's shaded. Now I realize why most people don't do the backpack's while detecting... omg does it just trap the body heat. We both got a nice 1864's this year, but Roger said mine is an L. Still yours is worth quite a bit more than face value in that condition.
    Thanks Jim , I have found more with the "L" than without for some odd reason . this is my first without .

Quote Originally Posted by owena1 View Post
    Atta baby Dan! Some real good finds! Heats been wicked bad in New England recently. Hoping it cools down soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Owen I hope your staying cool during the heatwave , I can't wait for the cooer temps .

Dan

Nice goin Dan! That IH is really awesome!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album